You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 193>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

What's up that bbc nolan show. Like a politics show with a quiz setting.

They do it once every so often, with school kids on asking the questions 
Is that the question time of the North?
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:35am
https://www.newstalk.com/news/everything-must-be-on-the-table-in-talks-on-a-united-ireland-including-re-joining-the-commonwealth-byrne-1182304

Think this went under the radar a couple of weeks ago.
I get that some changes might have to be made but don't see the point in this.

The dark side.. And the light
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:54am
That doesn't open.

FG want Ireland to rejoin the Commonwealth, although it's a bit on the QT.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:12am
If you copy and paste the link it works. 

Keep hearing a lot of that 'everything is on the table'. 
Joining the commonwealth appears to be something that people in the south would be way more open to versus the more extremes to change the flag, anthem or the big elephant nobody wants to hear.....raise taxes to pay for the cost of reunification!

Agree with one of the points, I doubt the majority of the staunch unionists or the all important middle ground care that much about token gestures. They want to know that their financial security is secured or hopefully improved and that their culture is incorporated into the 'new ireland'. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 12 May 2021 at 11:13am
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:59am
this is a fairly wild thing to say Exclamation

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:24am
Has Varadkar spoken publicly about Ballymurphy?
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:27am
no but the blame lies squarely with sf he says
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 2:13pm
This James Geoghegan lad seems great craic 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 2:47pm
I'm surprised they didn't run Kate O'Connell rather than Geoghegan. Maybe Leo is miffed that she supported Coveney for the leadership against him in 2017. Lot of lawyers in the field by the looks of it. SF could shake it up a bit if they run Lynn Boylan.

Edited by Green Cockade - 26 May 2021 at 2:48pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't run Kate O'Connell rather than Geoghegan. Maybe Leo is miffed that she supported Coveney for the leadership against him in 2017. Lot of lawyers in the field by the looks of it. SF could shake it up a bit if they run Lynn Boylan.
she's hated by local activists... so much so they went with a founding member of renua. fg seem to be doing their best to lose the by-election. 

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 3:15pm
GC makes an interesting point about Boylan, and ultimately I think if that was to happen, it will culminate in making clear just how crowded the "we voted for change" brigade is, and how necessary it will be for these parties to consume each other for political longevity.

Labour are running Ivana Bacik, the Greens may well run Hazel Chu, the SD's have taken their lead from the echo chamber of twitter, Boylan represents the identaritan wing of SF. Basically, there is serious potential that they are going to end up crowding each other out and potentially split this vote, which will serve FG/FF, especially if the latter pair have any mass of votes between them.

DBS still has a conservative wing too, it just depends on how large it is, and if it has a critical mass, it could decide the election.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 7:14pm
Paul McAuliffe calling for the disbandment of NPHET LOL 
Must be great being in government and having NPHET there to scapegoat any unpopular decisions. 
Good decisions = oh yes that was us don’t forget 
Bad decisions = NPHET nanny state etc etc 

Edited by 9fingers - 26 May 2021 at 7:14pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:47pm
Hetfield has made some interesting points. I would never presume how the Dublin Bay South by-election may transpire, as a northerner who observes working class strongholds like Ringsend and more middle class reduts like Sandymount,Ranelagh and Rathmines from a distance. FG should be favourites but I have heard that Geoghegan is locally less popular than O'Connell. Lynn Boylan is big in Dublin South-West right now so there is a danger that if she contests Dublin Bay South, the proletariat in her current constituency may not like that or be keen to welcome her back. Interesting times indeed.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:12pm
Looks like it is going to be Lynn Boylan after all for SF. A capable politician who is certainly going to be in the running. I would still imagine that there will be a hot competition for specific votes amongst Bacik, Chu/Byrne and Boylan. And the SD's are apparently going to run a candidate, which will also take a few votes from that constituency.  Like I said, I think that could end up playing into FG's hands, especially in terms of the more conservative wing of the constituency.

SF also pick an interesting timing to go all PD and suggest the abolition of the LPT while all other parties are talking of reforming it. Not exactly an unpopular policy in a locality like DBS, at least on a "what's best for my pocket" basis. Not exactly a policy that underscores their self proclaimed 'left wing' credentials.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 7:22pm
Don't get the opposition to a property tax either and would personally prefer it was higher percentage charged on pricier homes.

Plenty of old wealth that is outside of the tax net on the basis that incomes are more modest. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Don't get the opposition to a property tax either and would personally prefer it was higher percentage charged on pricier homes.

Plenty of old wealth that is outside of the tax net on the basis that incomes are more modest. 

Its one of the true progressive taxes out there, but for some reason the Shinners and the far left oppose it. The latter's reasoning is obvious because they are disposed against what they perceive as 'regressive' taxation, and don't live in there real world

The Shinners are surely raising it with a view to strengthening their hand in an area where an abolition of LPT would advantage a wide range of the electorate, significantly, and would be one of the few areas in Ireland where the 0.25% higher rate is actually invoked. Simply put, its carrying on from the low tax populism of the 2020 election.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Its one of the true progressive taxes out there, but for some reason the Shinners and the far left oppose it. The latter's reasoning is obvious because they are disposed against what they perceive as 'regressive' taxation, and don't live in there real world

The Shinners are surely raising it with a view to strengthening their hand in an area where an abolition of LPT would advantage a wide range of the electorate, significantly, and would be one of the few areas in Ireland where the 0.25% higher rate is actually invoked. Simply put, its carrying on from the low tax populism of the 2020 election.

Is it truly progressive? I get paid the same for my job as someone doing it in Longford or Leitrim, my house also cost more as I live in Dublin. Someone doing the same job as me there has far more disposable income as their mortgage is much less, let alone LPT.

Would personally thing something that combines value with square footage and acreage would be fairer.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 8:37pm
Think I agree with the property tax. In the end of the day, if the exchequer wasn't getting cash that way, they'd be taking it from everyone via USC. And I think we pay enough USC at the moment. The people that need the most help at the moment are those saving for a house or renting, so property tax means the money comes from those of us lucky enough to have a house, rather than those that don't.

As for SF's objections, they're in power in the North and have Property tax/rates there (which they increase regularly).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 193>
  Share Topic