You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 193>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:41pm
He'll give at least eight junior ministers to the west.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 7:59am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

The west of Ireland with no representation at cabinet and 1 senator from the Taoiseach's 11 Seanad nominations. 
Don’t see the issue with this, you pick the people you believe are best for the job not based on where they come from
The issue I would have is that if you have an entire region of the country with no representation at cabinet level it means that it is much less likely to get it's fair share of investment and attention from government. Even if one were going to be less cynical and say that the west of Ireland having no representation won't affect investment in the region, there is no member of cabinet who will understand the issues and needs of the region, what will work and what may not, to the same degree that someone from the region would. The fact that Calleary wasn't given a ministry is bizarre also. 
This happens after every election, it's just posturing. There's no evidence that a county without a minister doesn't get investment. There's what, 12 ministries or so? Among 26 counties? They're clearly not gonna get one every time. Once every 2 governments is the average. Mayo's had it good with the Taoiseach being from there for most of this decade. 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

The west of Ireland with no representation at cabinet and 1 senator from the Taoiseach's 11 Seanad nominations. 
Don’t see the issue with this, you pick the people you believe are best for the job not based on where they come from
The issue I would have is that if you have an entire region of the country with no representation at cabinet level it means that it is much less likely to get it's fair share of investment and attention from government. Even if one were going to be less cynical and say that the west of Ireland having no representation won't affect investment in the region, there is no member of cabinet who will understand the issues and needs of the region, what will work and what may not, to the same degree that someone from the region would. The fact that Calleary wasn't given a ministry is bizarre also. 
This happens after every election, it's just posturing. There's no evidence that a county without a minister doesn't get investment. There's what, 12 ministries or so? Among 26 counties? They're clearly not gonna get one every time. Once every 2 governments is the average. Mayo's had it good with the Taoiseach being from there for most of this decade. 

I don't think anyone has ever advocated for every county having a minister. As you say, there simply isn't enough to go around. An entire region of the country not having any representation in the cabinet is an entirely different matter. 

On a different note, Enda did f**k all for Mayo but we can't really complain, we kept voting for him. 
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:36am

Edited by oldbilly - 30 Jun 2020 at 9:37am
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:38am
see the bould Regina appointed to the Seanad, a body she campaigned to abolish in the recent past, they really have no shame
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:30pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Wallsy, do you think that, for example, the minister for equality should only be somebody who has experienced inequality in some way?

Not necessarily, the whole point of such a ministry would be to promote equality as much as possible. Not being a victim of inequality doesn't mean that someone can't see blatant examples of inequality and address them or take advice from experts in the area for more subtle issues of inequality. It is not a valid comparison in my view, it's not as if there is a ministry for the west of Ireland. If you ignore an entire region of the country when forming a cabinet then almost certainly issues specific to that region aren't going to get the same attention to detail and certainly won't have a fair shot if there is a choice between a project on the east coast or a project on the west coast. The entire region has no voice at the center of power. If it's a case of the strictly the best person for the job, with no thought given given to gender, geographical or political considerations, then there is no need for our cabinet to be members of the Oireachtas at all, the Taoiseach should be able to choose the best person for the job who is willing to accept, like they do in the US. 

Could easily make the argument that West and Midlands have been over represented in the last number of governments with zero capital spending in Dublin on public transport when projects like the m18, rural broadband etc have been delivered or timetabled. 

The only major capital spend in Dublin ongoing is the children's hospital, which is a national project of equal benefit to all. 

Which would naturally be the case given FGs dependence on rural votes.

Proper city planning, including the regional cities is where money needs to be focused but with fg/ff calling the shots and their brilliant ability to side with nimby interests (see luas green line upgrade to metro) not much will change. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:15pm
Rumblings not just in Mayo but in the north about the failure to appoint a northerner to the Seanad, a tradition which more often than not has resulted in a unionist voice in that body. So much for a ' shared island ', aka united Ireland. The Cabinet carve-up was bad enough ( three Ministers from Cork South Central indeed ) but the Seanad was worse and appointing the likes of Regina Doherty as leader is a joke in bad taste. The game is obviously to give certain losers and nonentities a profile with a view to them regaining their Dáil seats at the next election. Good luck with that one. Will Micheal Martin go down in history as the shortest serving Taoiseach of all time ? We shall see.

Edited by Green Cockade - 01 Jul 2020 at 1:16pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 7:37pm

The angry noisy lefties cleaned up every seat going in my constituency at the election. Obviously none of them are in government, let alone have a seal of office. So it's unlikely local issues will get any attention let alone action, during the length of this Dail. But they will still do what they do best. Howl at the moon. I can't see the Dail lasting close to 2.5 years, and the manifesto is not worth the beer mat it was written on, so there'll be plenty of stuff for them to howl about.

I'm not a FF voter, however, at least I can watch and listen to what our Taoiseach has to say again for the first time in 3 years. He may not be the next Bertie, but he's a normal man with a traditional family, not some vain incompetent weirdo showing his socks off to other world leaders and sunbathing in the PP. Ireland is back to normal.

Edited by planning - 01 Jul 2020 at 8:08pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 10:24pm
This government won't last 5 years. FF TDs already losing confidence in the Taoiseach over not being made a minister.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The angry noisy lefties cleaned up every seat going in my constituency at the election. Obviously none of them are in government, let alone have a seal of office. So it's unlikely local issues will get any attention let alone action, during the length of this Dail. But they will still do what they do best. Howl at the moon. I can't see the Dail lasting close to 2.5 years, and the manifesto is not worth the beer mat it was written on, so there'll be plenty of stuff for them to howl about.

I'm not a FF voter, however, at least I can watch and listen to what our Taoiseach has to say again for the first time in 3 years. He may not be the next Bertie, but he's a normal man with a traditional family, not some vain incompetent weirdo showing his socks off to other world leaders and sunbathing in the PP. Ireland is back to normal.

Jesus LOLLOL
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 8:22am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

I'm not a FF voter, however, 
LOL
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 10:50am
LOL what a spastic 
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:19pm
planning and yiksheemash, the inclusive face of ybigConfused
What a pair of bellends.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:37pm
LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:47pm
Typical Irish politics to the fore already, Norma Foley anybody ? Sure aren’t we a great little country altogether 
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Typical Irish politics to the fore already, Norma Foley anybody ? Sure aren’t we a great little country altogether 

Mentioned that in another thread.. she’s secured re-election anyway. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 1:17am
not very into the mechanics of politics but what’s up with a lot of sh*t coming out against FF in media? Stuff that happened years ago but only comes out when they in power? Media waiting on a story against the part in power? FG trying to play both sides? Coincidence? Other parties trying to keep FF from regaining their ground? 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 8:30am
I don't get the circus against Barry Cowan either. Done for drink driving 4 years ago while on a provisional when he was barely over the limit (was it a zero limit for provisional's back then?, could have been from the night before), admitted it was very stupid and apologised. Then a new story that he got done for speeding, who cares.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 193>
  Share Topic