You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 200>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:58pm
we don’t have a “prime minister”.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 11:36pm
once again a debate on forming a new government finishes with a debate on the IRA and killings. Jaysus the Dup are sharing power with Sinn Fein and FF FG won’t even talk with them. Who decides to bring out Paul Williams and finish the discussion talking about Ira violence? It’s a joke at this stage!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

once again a debate on forming a new government finishes with a debate on the IRA and killings. Jaysus the Dup are sharing power with Sinn Fein and FF FG won’t even talk with them. Who decides to bring out Paul Williams and finish the discussion talking about Ira violence? It’s a joke at this stage!
The difference between Ireland in England is that in England, wheeling out a blowhard like Williams or his English equivalent to smear Labour actually works. In Ireland, it only pushes people towards Sinn Fein.

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:05am
Yes but who is pulling the strings to bring Williams on to the show to start the debate( if you could call it a debate) and then a woman who graphically recalls the killing of her parent. I have the greatest of sympathy for the woman but the Claire Byrne show has a lot to answer for using her like that. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:57am

Yes but who is pulling the strings to bring Williams on to the show to start the debate( if you could call it a debate) and then a woman who graphically recalls the killing of her parent. I have the greatest of sympathy for the woman but the Claire Byrne show has a lot to answer for using her like that. 

Why does it have a lot to answer for? 

People may wish to tell their story, as was the case with Paul Quinn. People take particular note at election time. We had one poster tell us here that the media would totally drop all this after the election, which hasn’t happened.

Edited by Het-field - 18 Feb 2020 at 9:48am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

If young people cared about what happened in the Troubles, they wouldn't be flocking to Sinn Fein in such numbers. They may know about what the IRA did, they may not, but either way they're either bllissfully ignorant, prepared to overlook it, or may actually be prepared to retrospectively support it.

This sums up my view on the “youth quake” behind SF. As I said, historical and cultural matters have guided the progressive movement this decade. The Equal Marriage vote and Repeal the 8th vote was very much guided by Ireland’s extremely poor history in these matters, and the treatment that the people most impacted by laws in the area, suffered. The same mindset was prevalent in non voting matters such as protests surrounding the Pope’s visit to Ireland in 2018. Historical treatment was at the forefront of the frustration and anger.

But for some reason, this has not extended to this election. To see online progressives parrot the line that victim’s families are being “used” would be something they would habitually get very annoyed about. And that leaves aside the fact that the manifesto is simply not progressive, which would suggest the youth voters are not nearly as engaged as they let on, and are just as prone to accepting soundbytes and image.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Why does it have a lot to answer for? 

People may wish to tell their story, as was the case with Paul Quinn. People take particular note at election time. We had one poster tell us here that the media would totally drop all this after the election, which hasn’t happened.

One reason why it hasn't been dropped. Sinn Fein did much better than expected and there is still a chance they will be in Government when all is said and done. And so it hasn't been dropped.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:27pm
The consensus of some on here was that it would be dropped, and regardless of why, it hasn’t.

And I’m not surprised. Some victim’s families see this as an opportunity for redress.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:43pm

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

If young people cared about what happened in the Troubles, they wouldn't be flocking to Sinn Fein in such numbers. They may know about what the IRA did, they may not, but either way they're either bllissfully ignorant, prepared to overlook it, or may actually be prepared to retrospectively support it.

This sums up my view on the “youth quake” behind SF. As I said, historical and cultural matters have guided the progressive movement this decade. The Equal Marriage vote and Repeal the 8th vote was very much guided by Ireland’s extremely poor history in these matters, and the treatment that the people most impacted by laws in the area, suffered. The same mindset was prevalent in non voting matters such as protests surrounding the Pope’s visit to Ireland in 2018. Historical treatment was at the forefront of the frustration and anger.

But for some reason, this has not extended to this election. To see online progressives parrot the line that victim’s families are being “used” would be something they would habitually get very annoyed about. And that leaves aside the fact that the manifesto is simply not progressive, which would suggest the youth voters are not nearly as engaged as they let on, and are just as prone to accepting soundbytes and image.

I think that is very harsh on the youth. And besides that SF was the biggest party amongst all age groups under 65. That is being willfully ignored. The simple fact is families are getting squeezed, rents are sky high and the lower and middle classes are not feeling the benefits of the seemingly turbo boosted economy. And so they looked around for change and FF and FG were propping each other up for the last four years. Labour sold out their supporters with water charges and are getting the Lib Dems treatment. Simple fact is that as the Troubles recede into history people are less and less concerned with what happened. Gerry is gone. McGuinness is dead. Ferris is gone. The old guys are dying off. Housing especially now seems to be the key issue.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 12:56pm
I accept that the voting demographics for SF were wider than just the youth. That is true and I agree it’s overlooked. But the youth vote was very favourable to SF. And, there are other parties without the same baggage that offer solutions to problems like housing and rent.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 1:17pm

I accept that the voting demographics for SF were wider than just the youth. That is true and I agree it’s overlooked. But the youth vote was very favourable to SF. And, there are other parties without the same baggage that offer solutions to problems like housing and rent.

Alas, those other parties dont have the same electoral mandate as SF....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 1:31pm

Which parties offer solutions to the housing and rent problem? Not FF or FG who have made a complete mess of it. No other party on the left has the mandate SF has.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Alas, those other parties dont have the same electoral mandate as SF....

That’s not really an answer though. And I’m more convinced than ever that the split vote has created such similar outcomes that there is no clear mandate, or lack of mandate for most parties.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Which parties offer solutions to the housing and rent problem? Not FF or FG who have made a complete mess of it. No other party on the left has the mandate SF has.

I’d certainly question SF being on the left.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 1:58pm

Really? That’s the first you’ve mentioned it 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 1:59pm

In the North they are probably centre left but their proposals for housing in particular in the south are well on the left.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 2:01pm

In the North they are probably centre left but their proposals for housing in particular in the south are well on the left.

Building housing is not really a left/right policy in the way that say privatisation of social housing is. The manifesto is “I’ll have what you’re having” populism which is not of the right or the left.

Also, single policies don’t determine what side of the dubious spectrum a party falls on.

Edited by Het-field - 18 Feb 2020 at 2:02pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 9:43am
Another Shinner apologising for historical tweets. Réada Cronin this time.

You have to wonder how they found them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 200>
  Share Topic