You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 41>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 9:00am
I think that was his first assist of the season, from a corner as well.

Edited by darman28 - 16 Feb 2023 at 9:01am
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 9:45am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Assist tonight!
Half a goal in his 8-and-a-half role. 
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:40pm

Assist tonight!

France... Has to start
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:43pm

Hes doing alright. He's a regular midfielder in the Championship at the age of 21. That's pretty good going. I'm sure that he will add more goals and assists as he gets comfortable at the level. 
El Puto Amo
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Hes doing alright. He's a regular midfielder in the Championship at the age of 21. That's pretty good going. I'm sure that he will add more goals and assists as he gets comfortable at the level. 

He's 22 but your point stands, he's got more minutes than Molumby or Browne, more goal involvements than Browne and a higher Whoscored Rating than either Molumby or Hendrick across the season. Given this is his first full season of mens football he is doing just fine in a struggling Stoke side.

Wont start against France because he hasnt been blooded yet (should have been), but that process should start asap, he's an actual footballer who can add plenty to our rather limited midfield. Azaz is another that should be promoted.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 4:10pm
I think we're still finding out what kind of player Smallbone is. Possibly he/his club are too.

Initially when I saw him with the under 21s I had him down as a more creative midfielder. But judging on his run in the team at Stoke it seems like he's actually more of a Jeff Hendrick type. Full of running, decent passer, but maybe a limited end product as his goals/assists tally for Stoke suggests. But he seems to be able to take a good corner, which isn't something I'd associate with Hendrick.

With Southampton looking like they're going down it will be interesting to see if he gets back in the team there in the Championship. I'd like to see him in the senior squad for a look based on his potential and apparent improvement through the season at Stoke, but I don't think he's the missing piece of the jigsaw in our midfield, or anywhere close to it, at this point.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 4:41pm

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

He's 22 but your point stands, he's got more minutes than Molumby or Browne, more goal involvements than Browne and a higher Whoscored Rating than either Molumby or Hendrick across the season. Given this is his first full season of mens football he is doing just fine in a struggling Stoke side.

Wont start against France because he hasnt been blooded yet (should have been), but that process should start asap, he's an actual footballer who can add plenty to our rather limited midfield. Azaz is another that should be promoted.

Apologies. That's a fair correction by you as he's nearly 23. 
El Puto Amo
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think we're still finding out what kind of player Smallbone is. Possibly he/his club are too.

Initially when I saw him with the under 21s I had him down as a more creative midfielder. But judging on his run in the team at Stoke it seems like he's actually more of a Jeff Hendrick type. Full of running, decent passer, but maybe a limited end product as his goals/assists tally for Stoke suggests. But he seems to be able to take a good corner, which isn't something I'd associate with Hendrick.

With Southampton looking like they're going down it will be interesting to see if he gets back in the team there in the Championship. I'd like to see him in the senior squad for a look based on his potential and apparent improvement through the season at Stoke, but I don't think he's the missing piece of the jigsaw in our midfield, or anywhere close to it, at this point.

He's actually a good player with the ball at his feet unlike the likes of Molumby and Knight who are nearly better without the ball. Smallbone may not be the answer,, but we will continue to struggle against technically decent opposition with a midfield 3 of Cullen, Molumby and Knight (that 3 will be fine vs France where we dont expect to have much possession). Azaz is another worth a look and obviously Hodge - although defensively minded he is a quicker sharper passer than either Molumby or Knight. It's slim enough pickings tbh.
Idah Dream!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 10:21am

He's actually a good player with the ball at his feet unlike the likes of Molumby and Knight who are nearly better without the ball. Smallbone may not be the answer,, but we will continue to struggle against technically decent opposition with a midfield 3 of Cullen, Molumby and Knight (that 3 will be fine vs France where we dont expect to have much possession). Azaz is another worth a look and obviously Hodge - although defensively minded he is a quicker sharper passer than either Molumby or Knight. It's slim enough pickings tbh.
He surely must start against Latvia. Ridiculous he didn't get a game against Malta. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

He surely must start against Latvia. Ridiculous he didn't get a game against Malta. 

Yes, I think he will. Kenny seems to prefer letting a player settle in for their first camp, then get a game next time around.

I see people on the Stoke forum saying Smallbone has improved since coming back after the World Cup. Smallbone himself was talking to David Sneyd, saying it's taken him longer than he expected to adapt to playing every week. That could have been a factor in not playing for us in November. He looks to have put the injuries well behind him which is a major plus.

Saw this stat on the Stoke forum:
"Smallbone's created more chances (34) than any other Stoke player so far this season, averaging 1.13 per 90 minutes. Only 1 of those led to an assist.

Next best chances created per 90 are Tymon (5 assists), Baker (5 assists) and Gayle (4 assists)."

Looks like he might be their new designated set-piece taker now too, so that's a positive.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Yes, I think he will. Kenny seems to prefer letting a player settle in for their first camp, then get a game next time around.

I see people on the Stoke forum saying Smallbone has improved since coming back after the World Cup. Smallbone himself was talking to David Sneyd, saying it's taken him longer than he expected to adapt to playing every week. That could have been a factor in not playing for us in November. He looks to have put the injuries well behind him which is a major plus.

"Smallbone's created more chances (34) than any other Stoke player so far this season, averaging 1.13 per 90 minutes. Only 1 of those led to an assist.

Next best chances created per 90 are Tymon (5 assists), Baker (5 assists) and Gayle (4 assists)."

Looks like he might be their new designated set-piece taker now too, so that's a positive.

I had seen that stat re chance creation and I wonder with better strikers at Stoke if he might not have a better return. Stoke have scored just 36 in 31 games.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 4:03pm

It’s no harm having him at Stoke then as it will get him used to teeing up chances for our non scoring strikers 😁
El Puto Amo
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2023 at 7:26pm

I had seen that stat re chance creation and I wonder with better strikers at Stoke if he might not have a better return. Stoke have scored just 36 in 31 games.

This is the problem with technical players or indeed young attackers going to Stoke,Millwall,Preston etc. Beyond character building and experience it’s not a net positive they are just awful environments for them to show off attacking/creative talent. 

He looks well on course to see out the season for them and Southampton look likely to go down which will likely see him play a bit for them next season. Couple that with staying injury free and he’s got plenty going for him.

Edited by kevin100 - 17 Feb 2023 at 7:27pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 8:48am
Sounds like he went very well again last night and has completely won over the support base at Stoke now, which is no easy task, especially this season. Would say he's still behind Molumby and Knight at this point but definitely at the stage where he's worth a squad place and a cap. Probably ahead of Hourihane and somewhere around the level of Hendrick and Browne at the moment, but hopefully with more improvement to come than either of those.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 10:35am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

This is the problem with technical players or indeed young attackers going to Stoke,Millwall,Preston etc. Beyond character building and experience it’s not a net positive they are just awful environments for them to show off attacking/creative talent. 

He looks well on course to see out the season for them and Southampton look likely to go down which will likely see him play a bit for them next season. Couple that with staying injury free and he’s got plenty going for him.
Awful environments? But he's doing very well at Stoke and you were rapt when Parrott joined Preston. Millwall played excellent open football against top-team Burnley on Tuesday. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 11:02am
O'Shea joining the senior coaching staff won't do his prospects any harm I'd say.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 4:23pm

Sounds like he went very well again last night and has completely won over the support base at Stoke now, which is no easy task, especially this season. Would say he's still behind Molumby and Knight at this point but definitely at the stage where he's worth a squad place and a cap. Probably ahead of Hourihane and somewhere around the level of Hendrick and Browne at the moment, but hopefully with more improvement to come than either of those.

Big win for Stoke last night easing their relegation worries a little. Smallbone if fit should definitely get his first cap vs Latvia. He is an entirely different type to both Molumby and separately Knight and he has a number of attributes that we are sorely lacking in our midfield. He may not be ready just yet (should have been capped in November), but we need his type to come through if we are to become a side that plays progressive football. Azaz is another who should be capped sooner rather than later. We have a functional hard working midfield 3 currently in Cullen, Molumby and Knight, but that has to change if we are to progress, particularly vs weaker sides against whom we have struggled consistently under Kenny.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:55pm
Pleased to see he's doing really well recently. Particularly regarding how much pressing he seems to be doing. A worry before hand would have been, while he's good on the ball, what's his work rate like out of possession? Bodes well for his international future.

26 league starts, 13 full 90's. He's badly needed this consistent gametime.

Definitely should be nailed on to get his debut vs Latvia.

Edited by Greenie50 - 22 Feb 2023 at 5:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 41>
  Share Topic