You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 41>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Granny rulers in being overrated on the back of one or two good games shocker.

Except hes not a granny ruler Ermm

Doesn't matter his generation. If he isn't born in Ireland and Caucasian then he doesn't count. 
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Leave out the "Granny rulers" BS Hoolahan. Why would we take anything else you say as being genuine if you continue to lop cheap insults?

Why is it insulting to say that people overrate granny rule players? In the vast majority of cases, if they were good enough to play at the elite PL level they wouldn't be playing with us. We are renowned around the world for exploiting the granny rule. You have to have a sense of humour about it!
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 10:12pm
Much more prevalent north of the border these days. Ireland team against Armenia was 100% indigenous. Anyway, we don’t make the rules, all teams will use them to their advantage if they can.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 10:23am

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Leave out the "Granny rulers" BS Hoolahan. Why would we take anything else you say as being genuine if you continue to lop cheap insults?

Why is it insulting to say that people overrate granny rule players? In the vast majority of cases, if they were good enough to play at the elite PL level they wouldn't be playing with us. We are renowned around the world for exploiting the granny rule. You have to have a sense of humour about it!

I'm not sure if capping a lad who has an Irish parent is really exploiting the rules in the same way as for example, naturalising Brazilians. Regardless, we should get on with the process of capping Smallbone and tying him down. He's one of the very few midfielders we have currently who even has a chance of a PL career. Btw, his team lost 4-0 yesterday,  but he had 3 key passes and 85% pass completion which isnt bad for the most advanced midfielder, particularly in a team that was obviously dominated.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I was disappointed watching Smallbone in the two play off games. Still think Kenny could call him up to have a look at him during training.

Did you actually watch the job he was being asked to do by Crawford, he did it manfully and he showed his quality when given another actual footballer (in addition to Connolly) to play with in the final third when Azaz came on vs Israel. He was also central to the few chances we created from open play over both games. Unfair to judge Smallbone in a team sent out to play the way Crawfords were in those 2 games, we went out more intent on stopping them play, than actually playing our own football. I think they were there for the taking tbh - we even finished the 2nd leg in Israel the stronger despite their 3 drop downs from the Senior team.
Idah Dream!
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 10:46am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I was disappointed watching Smallbone in the two play off games. Still think Kenny could call him up to have a look at him during training.

Did you actually watch the job he was being asked to do by Crawford, he did it manfully and he showed his quality when given another actual footballer (in addition to Connolly) to play with in the final third when Azaz came on vs Israel. He was also central to the few chances we created from open play over both games. Unfair to judge Smallbone in a team sent out to play the way Crawfords were in those 2 games, we went out more intent on stopping them play, than actually playing our own football. I think they were there for the taking tbh - we even finished the 2nd leg in Israel the stronger despite their 3 drop downs from the Senior team.
Was very impressed with Azaz.
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:12pm
Smallbone is a decent player and was integral to the u-21s performances. From here on he is no different to any other Irish player - play well at club and earn a call up. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 9:22am
Didnt see the Burnley Stoke game last night, but Smallbone got a WhoScored rating of 7.17 and was trusted by his manager to play the full game which bodes well for his continuing game time. Cullen seems to have played well also, WS Rating of 7.14. Stoke scored late to make it 1-1 and reportedly finished the strongest. Did anybody see the game?
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 9:55am

Didnt see the Burnley Stoke game last night, but Smallbone got a WhoScored rating of 7.17 and was trusted by his manager to play the full game which bodes well for his continuing game time. Cullen seems to have played well also, WS Rating of 7.14. Stoke scored late to make it 1-1 and reportedly finished the strongest. Did anybody see the game?

And there was me thinking his career was over because he played in Stoke's 4 nil loss last time out. Wink
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:09am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

And there was me thinking his career was over because he played in Stoke's 4 nil loss last time out. Wink

Indeed, a game where he had 3 key passes and 85% pass completion I might add Smile! Looks well worth a place in the next squad on merit - Playing regular Championship football unlike Knight/Hourihane who are down in L1. We have 4 mids playing Championship football himself, Hendrick, Molumby and Browne (who has played RWB for Preston last 2 games). Brady also played in a midfield 3 in a 5-3-2 for Preston last night and may have lost his LWB spot to a young United loanee Fernandez who got MotM last night.

Just interested to see if any of the Burnley fans on here saw the game last night?
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:27am
He played in midfield at the weekend too, and there's been a few times that Fernandez has come on as a sub with Brady pushing in centrally.

Probably shows the lack of talent that Preston have in CM if Brady is now gonna play centrally.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:56am
Doesn't look ready for senior Intl football based on the U-21 games.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:03am
We also have Sykes playing regularly in the Championship.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:27am

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Indeed, a game where he had 3 key passes and 85% pass completion I might add Smile! Looks well worth a place in the next squad on merit - Playing regular Championship football unlike Knight/Hourihane who are down in L1. We have 4 mids playing Championship football himself, Hendrick, Molumby and Browne (who has played RWB for Preston last 2 games). Brady also played in a midfield 3 in a 5-3-2 for Preston last night and may have lost his LWB spot to a young United loanee Fernandez who got MotM last night.

Just interested to see if any of the Burnley fans on here saw the game last night?
  Had a really naff stream so hard for me to comment on the game . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

We also have Sykes playing regularly in the Championship.

At RWB though!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:33am

Some of our senior midfielders dont look ready for senior international football tbf. 

Joking aside, I thought generally he did very well for the U21s , he was easily the best of our midfielders over the course of the campaign. He was straitjacketed to some extent by Crawford's tactics in the two Israel games, but was still central to our good periods/moments in those 2 games.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:46am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

He played in midfield at the weekend too, and there's been a few times that Fernandez has come on as a sub with Brady pushing in centrally.

Probably shows the lack of talent that Preston have in CM if Brady is now gonna play centrally.

I thought Robbie did pretty well in CM for the first hour, but he really ran out of legs and had to be subbed on 70, he was completely gassed. Certainly played better than either Browne at RWB or Molumby at CDM who were both awful. 
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 1:04pm

Exactly.

Even in the games whereby he did impress, he still went through long periods of the game going missing.

It's great to see him playing week in\out for Stoke. He will develop more and it will be probably closer to next season whereby he will get into the ROI side.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 41>
  Share Topic