Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 12:18pm
Played well. Saints fans happy with him too. Good alternative when Armstrong is rested. Hojberg leaving will help him too. He looks very like a young Jeff Hendrick! I mean looks wise, not doing disappearing acts on the pitch.
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:51pm
Ah leave poor Jeff alone LOL
Am I right in saying that the new season won't start until after our NL double-header at the start of Sept?  So Kenny has these last games if this season with which to analyse all his potential squad for form etc?

If that's so, a few more games like yesterday for Smallbone should see him at least considered for the squad. 
Who do we think are his direct competitions for his position?  Hendrick and Hourihane?
Could Smallbone be a potential #10 for Kenny?  If he's a PL starter that has to elevate him well above the likes of Byrne or Ronan (who has a ways to go to be even considered for a senior call-up).

Or is this just grasping at straws and he'll be in the 21's for Autumn?

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 5:49pm
He better be good with a name like that.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 6:07pm
I would call him up to the senior squad. Kenny likes to play with a number 10 on the field, we don't have many of those playing at a high level and Smallbone can play 10. I think he has jumped ahead of Byrne and Ronan for now.

Throw him in for a Nations League game and see how he goes.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I would call him up to the senior squad. Kenny likes to play with a number 10 on the field, we don't have many of those playing at a high level and Smallbone can play 10. I think he has jumped ahead of Byrne and Ronan for now.

Throw him in for a Nations League game and see how he goes.
McCarthy and O’Neill  liked a 10. Behind the ball!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:39pm
Seems to have been playing as an orthodox midfielder/on the right rather than as a 10, not sure there's much evidence that's his best position.
We're decent enough..
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 12:52am
Something very Irish about the average Irish fans insecurity about Smallbone. Yes we get it Declan Rice Jack Grealish but you can’t tar every lad with the same brush. Not to say he will change he may do who knows but until he actually says it or turns down a call up then you have to presume he’s gonna play for us. This sounds like he quite clearly wants to play international football and there’s no debate who it’s for at the moment. 
Difference is Stephen Kenny won’t arse around like O’Neill did with Rice or past managers did if they are playing PL football weekly Kenny will call him up and if he baulks at it he won’t consider him again no big deal hel move on. Likewise he won’t be doing an Obafemi on it either telling people he’s too young to make a decision and the lad with his agent having to bloody come out with a statement to the world to say there’s no decision he’s committed. Obafemi was actually guilty of being tarred with that brush I mentioned above that time. 

gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 6:42pm
Smallbone on bench tonight, joining him are, Long, Obafemi and Will Ferry
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:10pm
Is will Ferry irish born?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Is will Ferry irish born?

No, English born but don't know his connections back to Ireland.
Hopefully someone can clarify. 
The next U21 squad announcement for the friendly in Sept will be interesting. 
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

Smallbone on bench tonight, joining him are, Long, Obafemi and Will Ferry

Long will smallbone ferry??? 😂 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 11:41am
Stephen Kenny saying he is contention of the 21s.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

At the least.  Spose will depend on how much he plays until the end of the season.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

If he is saying that I think it is clear he will be taking Molumby himself.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 3:32pm
Or is it  code for the player not being fully willing to play competitively for us at this point   ?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Or is it  code for the player not being fully willing to play competitively for us at this point   ?

He has only played a handful of first team clubs games so the 21s seems the right place for him to be right now.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 3:36pm
We don't really have any players that play in the same position as Smallbone, he looks a good attacking midfield option and it looks like he's going to start seeing more gametime. Would be good to have him in the seniors set up.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 3:57pm
I mean, Kenny said he won’t be experimenting for the playoff. Wouldn’t read too much into this decision 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 41>
  Share Topic