Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 41>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 11:20pm
Heard he’s a bit of a cochlea
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

So....Rice and the uncapped Grealish, then? The likes of Harry Kane, James Madison, Gazza, etc don't count as they never wore the green. Very early days re Smallbone but I would trust Stephen Kenny to be on the ball on these matters. Even Martin O'Neill had the wit to give Michael Obafemi his debut at a very young age to make sure he was our player before Nigeria or England did.
He was forced to imo
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 12:20am
Maybe. He did prevaricate about it, Michael is credited with making an unequivocal decision on it but the wording of the statement giving O'Neill credit was obviously crafted by an agent. End result is that we have an outstanding young player who wants to play for Ireland. No complaints.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 9:30am

Maybe. He did prevaricate about it, Michael is credited with making an unequivocal decision on it but the wording of the statement giving O'Neill credit was obviously crafted by an agent. End result is that we have an outstanding young player who wants to play for Ireland. No complaints.

Did he prevaricate? I thought he was just very hesitant. 
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Like Rice mentioned Randolph when he was in the chose your words carefully phase you mean ? :)   paranoia is justified, until a ref blows to start a game for points with him on the field. 

No, paranoia is not "justified", it's chosen. The excessive scepticism really is ridiculous when you think about it, what percentage of underage players who line out for us actually end up defecting? 
Approximately the precise percentage that are actually good enough to play for England. Depends if he thinks he is?

Plenty of English born guys who have played for us could have won a few caps for England, just look at how average many of the guys capped by England over the last 20 years have been. Are you seriously suggesting that its impossible for an English born player to favour playing for Ireland for any reason other than not being good enough for England?
No I don't think there's any English born player this century to capped by us would've got more than a couple of caps for England. I don't think its impossible but unlikely, maybe if their family is all Irish but I don't think we've had any of those since Killbane and Breen. All the ones England have shown any real interest in - Keane, Grealish, Rice - have defected.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:19pm
Kilbane and Breen were never near good enough to play for England.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:41pm
Kilbane and Breen would likely have been at least called up by England at some stage. They'd never have played much, but they might have won a few caps. Certainly, they didn't just play for Ireland because they were "England no-hopers", they genuinely considered themselves Irish.
We're decent enough..
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:44pm

Kilbane and Breen would likely have been at least called up by England at some stage. They'd never have played much, but they might have won a few caps. Certainly, they didn't just play for Ireland because they were "England no-hopers", they genuinely considered themselves Irish.

I don’t think either would have ever been called up. Actually I’d nearly be certain about that. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

I don’t think either would have ever been called up. Actually I’d nearly be certain about that. 

Would have to agree
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 6:31pm
Maybe not for full caps but didn't Kilbane turn England down at underage level, telling them he wanted to play for Ireland ? And don't forget the reverse ferrets of the two Keanes ( Michael and Will, that is, not Roy and Robbie ).
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 6:41pm

Maybe not for full caps but didn't Kilbane turn England down at underage level, telling them he wanted to play for Ireland ? And don't forget the reverse ferrets of the two Keanes ( Michael and Will, that is, not Roy and Robbie ).
Aye McCarthy was still trying to talk w Keane up near the end. 🤔
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 11:41pm

Not that they'd have accepted the call up, either of them but it wouldn't have come anyway. 
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

"I'm taking time out to concentrate on my club football"

I suppose he said that on your Football Manager save.

On my save Bamford played for us 
C O' Hare, R Johansson & P Bamford played for us in the Euros on my Millwall save
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:34pm
starts vs Watford. Long also starting. Obafemi on the bench. 

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:48pm
An assist for Ing's goal Clap
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:52pm
First time properly seeing him. He looks a decent player and he's covering back very well. 

Surprised he isn't in the U-21 squad yet. He's bound to be called up to it if not the seniors. If he plays more games, would like to see Kenny call him up for the NL games. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

First time properly seeing him. He looks a decent player and he's covering back very well. 

Surprised he isn't in the U-21 squad yet. He's bound to be called up to it if not the seniors. If he plays more games, would like to see Kenny call him up for the NL games. 

Doubt he was on the radar for the 21's for this past campaign as he's only really breaking thru in recent months.
Doubtless he will be at least in the 21 squad for the Autumn games.  If he keeps playing at PL level, I'd say he'd b v close to a senior call-up.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:31pm
He's just turned 20 and starting games in the EPL. Technically he looks very good, for the goal he drops into central midfield, gets the ball, turns and gets his head up for a simple pass. I feel that's his best position although he's out on the right in today's game.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 41>
  Share Topic