You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dara O'Shea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 31>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

When you think about all the potential players we could've had playing for Ireland on the world stage lost to the gah. Cry

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. Surely O'Shea just confirms that point.

Not true. 2 good mates of mine who were both top class Hurlers and Gaelic footballers . One played for Dublin in Hurling and 1 played for the Dubs in Gaelic, both could have been dual stars if they wanted but concentrated on one code and no doubt where very handy at football, one even played for a league rep side and didnt take it serious at all only played for a few years woth a club as a youngfella and the other even less.Both from working class North Dublin estates and both never played football seriously. Both of them had zero interest and loved GAA . 

Now it's even worse in the sticks where there is a lot more emphasis on the local GAA club and lot loss serious amateur football teams. 

Edited by JoxerDaly - 26 Jul 2020 at 7:51pm
Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:13pm
Apparently he took Kanchelskis out, though I'm not sure how, given they were on the same side in a friendly game.

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:16pm

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. 

Niall Quinn and Shane Long were excellent hurlers. They would no doubt have had long Intercounty careers for Dublin and Tipperary
The only way is up
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

When you think about all the potential players we could've had playing for Ireland on the world stage lost to the gah. Cry

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. Surely O'Shea just confirms that point.

Not true. 2 good mates of mine who were both top class Hurlers and Gaelic footballers . One played for Dublin in Hurling and 1 played for the Dubs in Gaelic, both could have been dual stars if they wanted but concentrated on one code and no doubt where very handy at football, one even played for a league rep side and didnt take it serious at all only played for a few years woth a club as a youngfella and the other even less.Both from working class North Dublin estates and both never played football seriously. Both of them had zero interest and loved GAA . 

Now it's even worse in the sticks where there is a lot more emphasis on the local GAA club and lot loss serious amateur football teams. 

I've come across this myself. Playing over 35s now and there is a lad on the team tearing it up, scores for fun, great touch. I asked one of the lads who he had played for before 35s and was told he never played soccer, only ever played GAA. Not saying he is, or could have been, good enough to play at international level, obviously, but it does make you wonder about the players that we might have missed out on.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Anyone remember Jason Sherlock's trial with Liverpool and Anthony Tohill's trial with Manchester United in the 90's?

Yeah, there are lots of lads like Sherlock, Tohill, Cluxton, Geraghty, and Chin who were/are all decent footballers, however, they were decent at a LOI level. None of them could be considered a "loss" to the national team, they were never anywhere near that level.
We're decent enough..
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. 

Niall Quinn and Shane Long were excellent hurlers. They would no doubt have had long Intercounty careers for Dublin and Tipperary

You're literally confirming my point, these were top GAA prospects who went down the route of playing soccer because they were good enough to do so. This is what will happen in 99% of cases. What I'm saying is that it's incredibly rare for someone who is good enough to play soccer professionally to choose GAA over it, it simply almost never happens. Therefore, the suggestion that we've "lost" potentially great internationals because they chose GAA instead is simply inaccurate.

Edited by The O'Shea - 26 Jul 2020 at 8:42pm
We're decent enough..
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:49pm
Give it a rest lads Dead
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:46am
Got young player of the year award this morning
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:27am
Very well deserved, he'll be playing in the PL in 6 odd weeks which is amazing progress from him.

For me, he's earned a senior call up already. Needs to lock down a position, I hope he plays more centre back. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:42am
Ahead of whom exactly?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:52am
I meant more centre back for West Brom and lock down that position 

I feel that would be better for Ireland, we have doherty and coleman competing for one spot at right back.

For Ireland, I think we could do with some competition in the CB position.

Egan is a cert to play in the first team.
Question marks over Duffy until he moves from Brighton 
Clark has been unlucky with injuries 

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:03pm
Starts today at Leicester.

Robinson in the West Brom side too.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Starts today at Leicester.

Robinson in the West Brom side too.
reckon O'Shea could be a star of the season. 3 goals since he cracked into the team in Feb
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:35pm
WBA are signing Ivanovic so it is both good and bad for O'Shea.
He is obviously seen as a long term prospect for them and one they don't want to hamper. Ivanovic is old so wont play all the time and won't be around medium term.
willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:16pm
playing left side of a back 3 as a right footed player. Bilic has plenty of belief in him anyway.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:26pm
He did in pre season too but it didn't g great. surprised by that. 

Bilic loves Dara anyway which is great
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:42pm
Gives away a penalty for Leicesters third goal
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:44pm
very tough day for Dara today
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 31>
  Share Topic