Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dara O'Shea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 31>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 9:36pm
Put in another decent shift today. Seems like he can play LB/RB, and know he played CB in the future. Nice to have some flexibility in the back. Hope he gets a chance to play next year in the PL, really was an integral part of the WBA squad the past few months. 
Sponsored Links

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 11:52am
Where in Dublin is he from?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:07pm
Templeogue I think.

He played GAA for St Judes.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:02pm
ok thanks, seems like he wasn’t just any GAA player either unsupri  - https://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/oshea-star-for-stellar-judes-31251861.html
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:04pm
wonder was he related to Niall O’Shea who played for judes and Dublin as a back.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 3:44pm
When you think about all the potential players we could've had playing for Ireland on the world stage lost to the gah. Cry
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

When you think about all the potential players we could've had playing for Ireland on the world stage lost to the gah. Cry

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. Surely O'Shea just confirms that point.
We're decent enough..
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I can't think of many GAA players who were good enough at soccer to play for Ireland. If they were that good at soccer, they'd almost certainly have chosen it for the very obvious reason that playing it can make you filthy rich, whereas GAA will not. Surely O'Shea just confirms that point.

Shane Supple gave up a professional football career to play GAA.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

He did, but he had originally pursued a career as a professional footballer before deciding it wasn't for him. So it wasn't so much a case of "Ireland losing a player to GAA" as it was a player simply deciding that he didn't enjoy the lifestyle of professional football, and hence giving it up. In other words, it was a more a case of Supple giving up soccer and then deciding to play GAA with his newfound spare time, that it was him choosing GAA specifically over soccer.
We're decent enough..
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:52pm
Kevin Moran captained Dublin to victory over Armagh in the 1977 all-Ireland final while simultaneously a Man Utd player. Nobody could conceivably get away with that now ( insurance reasons, etc ).
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:26pm

There's a huge section of rural Ireland where young lads only play GAA, or play a bit of soccer on the side but it's not taken seriously. Just look at how many counties haven't produced an international footballer in decades. It's not that the kids there are any worse at sport, they just never play soccer at a serious enough level to ever even consider it as a career.

We miss out on loads of potential players to GAA, not obvious ones like Supple who played both sports, it's the thousands who never get into the game that we miss out on.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

There's a huge section of rural Ireland where young lads only play GAA, or play a bit of soccer on the side but it's not taken seriously. Just look at how many counties haven't produced an international footballer in decades. It's not that the kids there are any worse at sport, they just never play soccer at a serious enough level to ever even consider it as a career.

We miss out on loads of potential players to GAA, not obvious ones like Supple who played both sports, it's the thousands who never get into the game that we miss out on.

You can't lose what you've never had. Lots of lads from down the country (Long, Doyle, etc) have left promising futures in GAA to pursue a career in football; if they play both sports and they have a chance of making it professionally in soccer, then 99% of them will go that way. It's ridiculous to say something like "oh Irish soccer really missed out on the likes of Joe Canning" if Joe Canning never played soccer in the first place. You might as well say "Irish rugby missed out on Joe Canning/Irish cricket missed out on Joe Canning" etc etc.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:16pm

He did, but he had originally pursued a career as a professional footballer before deciding it wasn't for him. So it wasn't so much a case of "Ireland losing a player to GAA" as it was a player simply deciding that he didn't enjoy the lifestyle of professional football, and hence giving it up. In other words, it was a more a case of Supple giving up soccer and then deciding to play GAA with his newfound spare time, that it was him choosing GAA specifically over soccer.

Sure. But he mentioned 'falling out of love with the game' when giving up his football career, and cited, I believe I'm right in saying, wanting to pursue a GAA career with Dublin.

Still you're right in suggesting that this is an unusual situation.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:20pm

Sure. But he mentioned 'falling out of love with the game' when giving up his football career, and cited, I believe I'm right in saying, wanting to pursue a GAA career with Dublin.

Still you're right in suggesting that this is an unusual situation.

I wouldn't dispute that, however what I'm saying is that I don't believe he left soccer specifically for GAA. Like if GAA didn't exist, I still think Supple would have walked away from football. Because as he said himself, his main issue was that he simply did not enjoy the life of a professional footballer.
We're decent enough..
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:31pm
O'Shea I know you like your gah but you must be insane to think that we haven't lost out on potential Irish international players to the hurling and gaelic football. I'm talking about players that would've chosen football if hurling/gaelic football and to a lesser extent rugby weren't around in the first place. 

If Shane Long didn't play hurling until he was 17 or whatever, he may have developed as an even better football player technically. His hurling background may have stood to him in terms of athleticism and physical strength but I do think it could've been a hindrance technically as well. 

Given the level of participation and dominance of our two main domestic sports we do very well to punch above our weight on the global stage when it comes to rugby,football,boxing and athletics but there's no doubt the gah is a hindrance overall and lessens our pool to pick from in terms of the international football team. 

Edited by irishmufc - 26 Jul 2020 at 7:32pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:38pm
Anyone remember Jason Sherlock's trial with Liverpool and Anthony Tohill's trial with Manchester United in the 90's?

Edited by NewtNewbie - 26 Jul 2020 at 7:39pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:41pm

O'Shea I know you like your gah but you must be insane to think that we haven't lost out on potential Irish international players to the hurling and gaelic football. I'm talking about players that would've chosen football if hurling/gaelic football and to a lesser extent rugby weren't around in the first place. 

If Shane Long didn't play hurling until he was 17 or whatever, he may have developed as an even better football player technically. His hurling background may have stood to him in terms of athleticism and physical strength but I do think it could've been a hindrance technically as well. 

Given the level of participation and dominance of our two main domestic sports we do very well to punch above our weight on the global stage when it comes to rugby,football,boxing and athletics but there's no doubt the gah is a hindrance overall and lessens our pool to pick from in terms of the international football team. 

Current underage international could have very easily fallen into this category if he never left Limerick to go play with Shamrock Rovers. Once showed up at half time for a cup final because he had GAA training that day too.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:44pm
Never knew about Sherlock's but I remember Anthony Tohill's. Without resorting to google I think he played in a game against Stoke or something like that round 95. He played in the 'Sheffield Wednesday' style away kit or it was the yellow and green Newton heath one. One of the away kits anyway. 

I assume that match was a reserves game of some sort. Think United won 3-2.

Edited by irishmufc - 26 Jul 2020 at 7:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 31>
  Share Topic