You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dara O'Shea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 31>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:20pm
He's 6-ft 1. Cannavaro the World Cup winning captain of Italy was 5-ft 9.

Size is only an issue if aerial ability is your trump card. O'Shea while not as yet in the bracket of Cannavaro, definitely doesn't fall into the bracket of our traditional centre halfs of recent times. 
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Size is only an issue if aerial ability is your trump card. O'Shea while not as yet in the bracket of Cannavaro, definitely doesn't fall into the bracket of our traditional centre halfs of recent times. 

I'd say 6,1 is pretty much the sweet spot for a centre half, usually I find, and there are exceptions of course, the taller centre halves are not as mobile or lose some vital acceleration on the turn. 

Oshea is tall enough and has that modern centre back slim build to succeed. Importantly his reading of the game is very good and getting better.

With oshea, Collins and Omobamidele I think this is a really good foundation in that position going forward.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'd say 6,1 is pretty much the sweet spot for a centre half, usually I find, and there are exceptions of course, the taller centre halves are not as mobile or lose some vital acceleration on the turn. 

Oshea is tall enough and has that modern centre back slim build to succeed. Importantly his reading of the game is very good and getting better.

With oshea, Collins and Omobamidele I think this is a really good foundation in that position going forward.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:18pm
wouldn't hate if Robinson stayed with WBA and played every week in the championship. Agree it wouldn't be a nightmare if DOS stayed as well, but i do think hes capable of playing in the premier league for a mid-table side, would depend on who wanted him i guess. could see him doing well for a team like wolves or palace, wouldn't want to see him just go to a newly promoted side that goes right back down
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:32pm
If Robinson is playing and scoring anywhere I’d be happy. If O’Shea spends more than a couple of seasons at a mid tier premier league team, I’d be disappointed. I think he has the quality to go right to the top. Big premier league teams should be looking at him because he has more to his game that most of the defenders that they have in the same age group. He could even play in France or Italy
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 4:57pm
He is a solid centre half. But the modern defender needs to be able to pass it out from the back, which he does well so that skill puts him ahead of a lot of other players in his position, add in his age too and he looks like he would attract many suitors 
It would damage this forums' reputation
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

If Robinson is playing and scoring anywhere I’d be happy. If O’Shea spends more than a couple of seasons at a mid tier premier league team, I’d be disappointed. I think he has the quality to go right to the top. Big premier league teams should be looking at him because he has more to his game that most of the defenders that they have in the same age group. He could even play in France or Italy

Robinson will be staying I suspect no fear there and I’d be happy to see him too. Will play regularly there and like I say I do fancy West Brom to go back up if they can hang onto the core of their squad and the manager.

Big praise for O’Shea I do rate him highly and while he’s gone under the radar compared to a Ben White let’s say there aren’t hoards of young defenders in there early 20s in the PL playing regularly and looking competent doing so. By default he should get one or two clubs looking at him for that. 

If any PL club picked him up I’d be happy with a view to the next 2/3 years but I’d agree in that certainly I wouldnt look at the likes of Ozan Kabak Joe Rodon or Ben Godfrey and think christ they are way better then O’Shea.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He's not at a club who could be categorised as being at that level though. If WBA go down, there's no guarantees that he'll even get a move to stay in the PL, even to one of the 3 teams who get promoted. I'd be more than happy for him to develop at a mid-tier for 3-4 years, if he was able to get such a move.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 8:02pm
https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-west-brom-3-0-southampton-allardyce-sextet-shop-window

Six West Brom players in the shop window for a move according to that article, but unsurprisingly o'shea is not one of the six. 

Quite a few of their players are on loan so I don't think it's as simple as they go down and bounce back straight away, they will have a battle on their hands in the Championship next season.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:17pm
Ajayi in for O'Shea and he conceded a penalty.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Ajayi in for O'Shea and he conceded a penalty.

And the other CB Bartley with an awful piece of indecision right at the death to cost them two points. They've been a shambles at the back all season long really.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:17am
That was shocking between Bartley and Johnstone at the end. I had the game on in the background, was half watching it and when I saw the f**k up my first thought was I hope that's not O'Shea that's done that. 

It is a very weak defence. Ivanovic wasn't a good signing and Townsend is poor as well. That said they'll probably look great in teh Championship next season.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

That was shocking between Bartley and Johnstone at the end. I had the game on in the background, was half watching it and when I saw the f**k up my first thought was I hope that's not O'Shea that's done that. 

It is a very weak defence. Ivanovic wasn't a good signing and Townsend is poor as well. That said they'll probably look great in teh Championship next season.

Bartley is an okay defender on the whole I know that mistake yesterday was hideous. Seems to be strange notion going by West Brom fan forums/Twitter that Ajayi is this class centre back and should be the first centre back on their team sheet. 

I really haven’t an iota what they are seeing as anytime I have seen him play (5 times this season) vs Bartley and O’Shea the latter two by most metrics of judging footballers look the superior players. 

O’Shea was beyond poor against Leicester last week so I’m not shocked he was dropped but then again most of his teammates were as poor on the day. O’Shea probably starts the next game again after that.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 6:43pm
Taken off after 30 minutes, didnt do a thing wrong, very disappointing 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 6:51pm
Another tactical masterstroke from Big Sam. Decides to change shape after 35 minutes with the score at 0-0. Takes off O'Shea who had the most touches of any West Brom player. Outcome - 1-0 down by half time.

West Brom must be thrilled that they dumped Bilic for him...

Edited by You Tell Me - 03 May 2021 at 6:52pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Another tactical masterstroke from Big Sam. Decides to change shape after 35 minutes with the score at 0-0. Takes off O'Shea who had the most touches of any West Brom player. Outcome - 1-0 down by half time.

West Brom must be thrilled that they dumped Bilic for him...

Read that too, oshea had 26 touches, more than any other West brom player.

Looks like Big Sam got his tactics all wrong again for this one.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:34pm
Oshea and Robinson now relegated to the championship with Egan and Stevens.

I can only see Egan potentially getting a summer move but I suspect he'll stay where he is.

Difficult to predict what will happen to molumby as his loan move at Preston has been a waste of time.

Parrott hasn't done enough to suggest a better move than ipswich and would do well to stay there.

Idah and Connolly Would benefit from loan moves to the championship 

A lot of players need loans next season, Coventry, Bazunu, Travers, kilkenny and a good few more  
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:39pm
This season was a bit of a free hit for O'Shea and to be fair to him he played a lot more than most of us would have expected him to at the start of the season.

Next season in a weaker division you'd hope he will be able to step up and be one of the leaders in the team, firstly he needs to nail down a starting spot at centre back, he got shifted about the defence a lot this season and it's clear he is a natural centre back, not a full back.

It might take a year or two but I expect we'll see him back in the Premier League before too long, there aren't too many 22 year old centre backs of his ability and experience in England.

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 May 2021 at 9:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 31>
  Share Topic