Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 Draw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

should be England 

Ifirc England stadiums bar Wembley and Spurs stadium fail to meet the uefa guidelines in terms of advertising, media space and warmup areas. 
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 9:29pm
Would be almost relieved if it's moved to a single country now that we haven't qualified. Having the tournament in Dublin without us being involved would be horrible.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Would be almost relieved if it's moved to a single country now that we haven't qualified. Having the tournament in Dublin without us being involved would be horrible.
Not as horrible as a load of Nordies rolling into town. LOL

I'm not actually sure though if this will come to anything - so far, the only coverage of this that I've seen tonight is from a handful of tabloid websites. It's not even on either the BBC or RTE football websites. And even the articles I have read have 'speculation' stamped all over them, imo anyway. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

should be England 

Ifirc England stadiums bar Wembley and Spurs stadium fail to meet the uefa guidelines in terms of advertising, media space and warmup areas. 

that's insane when you think about it. f**kin hell. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

I'm not actually sure though if this will come to anything - so far, the only coverage of this that I've seen tonight is from a handful of tabloid websites. It's not even on either the BBC or RTE football websites. And even the articles I have read have 'speculation' stamped all over them, imo anyway. 

Yeah but everyone knows that realistically the festival of football format will not work and will be ill advised, even there this is a vaccine starting to be dished out. They will want to get into a bubble in one country with one set of rules, etc.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 11:47pm

Yeah, but the FAI is bust, so needs the money that comes with hosting it.

Think of it like receiving a huge tax bill, and having to rent your yard out to Travellers to pay it. Wink

You could be right, though it sounds to me like someone at UEFA may have leaked it to these guys:
https://hwww.leparisien.fr/sports/football/euro-2021-l-uefa-etudie-des-solutions-de-repli-pour-maintenir-la-competition-02-11-2020-8406212.php#xtor=AD-1481423553

With everyone else running with it from there eg
https://httwww.football-espana.net/2020/11/02/uefa-consider-hosting-euro-2021-in-russia-and-not-across-12-nations-as-originally-planned-report
https://httpwww.eurosport.com/football/euro-2021-uefa-to-consider-russia-as-sole-host-of-delayed-tournament-report_sto7977244/story.shtml

'Russia Today' are also running it, so it must be true! LOL
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 7:48am

should be England 

Surely it's just Category 4 that's required isn't it? So any stadium that hold Champions League can hold Euros games.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

should be England 

Surely it's just Category 4 that's required isn't it? So any stadium that hold Champions League can hold Euros games.

I would assume they can be easily adjusted to make them suitable.

They must have at least 12 stadiums that have decent capacity.

KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:26am
Moving the tournament on account of the pandemic to the country with the most deaths in Europe(the UK), won’t be an option regardless of other factors. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:51am

Not as horrible as a load of Nordies rolling into townLOL

And England coming for the Rof16.  Big smile

I know I'm in the minority on here but I do hope Northern Ireland win and come to Dublin.  Although on penalties is best for us from a seeding perspective.  

I agree the 12 city format will not happen now as planned.  One host or a cluster close by is much more likely.

I'd still be surprised if it ends up in Russia.  They hosted a superb World Cup but not many trust their COVID numbers.  I'd take my chances on the Oxford vaccine rather than the Russian one as well.  It would be a financial decision.  Putin would love to host it and could guarantee full stadiums.  

I assume Germany will sit tight and host a fantastic tournament in 2024.  England are the logical hosts possibly with us and Scotland keeping our games.  

I don't think the original format will ever be repeated.  Michael Platini is history and the main reason for the proposal was to stop Turkey from hosting it.  I still believe Turkey would be great hosts but given the current political situation there it would be wiser to wait a few years.      
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 9:42am
It was a nonsense idea when it was first announced never mind now. 
I’d be surprised if it was moved to Russia or the UK tho. 
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

should be England 

Surely stadium capacity won't matter if the games are played behind closed doors?  So long as media and advertising requirements are met, matches can be played at any ground.  That's why Real Madrid are playing at their training ground at the moment whilst the Bernabau is being redeveloped..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

should be England 

Surely stadium capacity won't matter if the games are played behind closed doors?  So long as media and advertising requirements are met, matches can be played at any ground.  That's why Real Madrid are playing at their training ground at the moment whilst the Bernabau is being redeveloped..

But isn't the "one country host" idea being suggested in order to allow spectators to attend (if only in restricted numbers, and possibly confined to locals)?

Whereas if there are no fans allowed in, then it should be possible to find at least 4 or 5 countries which can organise matchday "bubbles", with teams travelling between them where necessary on chartered aircraft etc.

Edited by Territorial - 03 Nov 2020 at 11:07am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 11:13am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

True - but we all knew that anyway and it didn't stop it.

There can't be many countries which could host such an enlarged tournament at relatively short notice.

France, Spain, Italy and England possibly, but all have had big Covid issues.

Germany will get the next one.

Turkey aren't popular.  Belgium/Netherlands possibly, except that the former has by far the highest Covid death rate in Europe.

It could end up being Russia by default.

And brown envelope.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

True - but we all knew that anyway and it didn't stop it.

There can't be many countries which could host such an enlarged tournament at relatively short notice.

France, Spain, Italy and England possibly, but all have had big Covid issues.

Germany will get the next one.

Turkey aren't popular.  Belgium/Netherlands possibly, except that the former has by far the highest Covid death rate in Europe.

It could end up being Russia by default.

And brown envelope.

Russia has big Covid issues too so hard to see how they'll get it by default. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 11:30am

England not uk
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 12:25pm

England not uk

Shared with Scotland and Wales?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 12:28pm

should be England 

You would think so but unfortunately not, I remember reading it before in terms of when England were preparing for the 2018 WC bid that the likes of Old Trafford and Anfield would require major upgrades in terms of capacity for media and areas around the pitch etc. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic