You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 Draw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Thing that made me laugh during the draw when Pedro Pinto said this Euros puts the fans at he very centre of the tournament. LOL  Thank you SO MUCH, Michel Platini. 

Serious question: would it have been so bad if Turkey hosted Euro 2020?

Turkey would be fantastic hosts.  A football daft country with plenty of stadiums.  Infrasttructure is improving all the time.  
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:13pm

Thing that made me laugh during the draw when Pedro Pinto said this Euros puts the fans at he very centre of the tournament. LOL  Thank you SO MUCH, Michel Platini. 

Less than 1% of the population would travel to watch a major tournament abroad. Only a handful of countries have the possibility of hosting the euros outright. So in general, this format does bring the tournament 'closer' to the majority of the people in Europe.

That said I do think it's a messy format and they only doing it this way as they didnt have any other bid than Turkey which probably some European countries wouldn't have been ready for. 

Hopefully in future it will just be one or two countries hosting 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:19pm
The setup is complete nonsense. So many things wrong with it, where do you begin. Looking at the draw though, the likes of Finland must be delighted to have to play 2 away games and 1 neutral game, in a 4 team group in a major championship. It is farce of a competition.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:49pm
Nice that Ireland has a host city but it's absolutely sh*te having it in so many countries. 

Would definitely have preferred Turkey to host it alone rather than next year's multi host nations.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

No worse than Qatar 2022.

Better than Qatar, much better.

Gspain nailed it (above)

Edited by Territorial - 03 Dec 2019 at 6:17pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 11:34pm
This forum is largely populated with people who travel to Ireland away games; in that sense, we aren't necessarily a fair representative sample. There's no doubt that, for people like us, the format is difficult and it is especially difficult for fans in the knockout phase.

However, host countries will get to host their own teams in somewhere between 17 and (I haven't done the maths) I'd guess between 25 and 30 of the matches in this tournament. That is far more than any previous tournament. In that respect, it is fair to say it is bringing the tournament closer to the fans.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

This forum is largely populated with people who travel to Ireland away games; in that sense, we aren't necessarily a fair representative sample. There's no doubt that, for people like us, the format is difficult and it is especially difficult for fans in the knockout phase.

However, host countries will get to host their own teams in somewhere between 17 and (I haven't done the maths) I'd guess between 25 and 30 of the matches in this tournament. That is far more than any previous tournament. In that respect, it is fair to say it is bringing the tournament closer to the fans.

On that basis, have they not regressed massively from the 60s when the Euros were first being organised? Back then, you had only 4 teams in the finals tournament with those matches being played at neutral venues. So you effectively had European championship QF matches being played home and away, and obviously group stage qualifiers before that played home and away. 

These were the real tournaments of the fans on that basis. We should go back to the 1960s model. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 12:16am
Turkey would have been terrible ffs. I'd rather have our 3 group games 10,000 miles apart than have had a tournament there whilst they are under Erdogan's rule

could not trust their fans to behave either

there is a reason that UEFA have blanked them for 5 straight tournaments and contrived this current one just to gub them
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:07am

I get the feeling the larger countries will have a drop in television audiences. Here, despite England having a genuine chance of winning the thing, a lot of passing fans just comment on how farcical it is. These would be club season ticket holders who have lost all interest. It may be that it gets more people from smaller hosts and such interested, but I’m not so sure.
They have made a mess of it, I just don’t know if it was deliberate or not.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:14am

This and it’s a huge occasion for some of the smaller countries getting to host matches.
They can spend money upgrading facilities knowing they will have plenty of money coming in.

I think the concept is great but they have over complicated it and trying to do too much. 

In future I’d like to see more of it but on a smaller scale. Spread the games around Europe and give the smaller countries more games.

Say if Germany were the main hosts for the Euro’s I think it would be good to have a few groups in different countries - (Denmark, Czech rep, Belgium etc) but all the knock out games in Germany.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:15am
Just give it to Germany permanently 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Clap
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:52am

ClapClapClap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:13am
Germany is my favourite country in Europe to visit to watch football.  Great atmosphere, fan culture, great value for money and obviously a very high standard.  

They will be fantastic hosts in 2024.

I strongly feel that Turkey should have got the tournament and deserve one soon.  They have some fantastic stadiums.  High speed train now connecting Istanbul Ankara and Konya.  Bursa and Izmir should be completed soon enough. Good internal air network and plenty of hotels.    

I was there in 1991 at both games and not playing down the issues but it was over 28 years ago.  I've been back 4 times for football since incl two UEFA tournaments they hosted (2008 uner-17s & Regions cup 2017).  Both were well organised although numbers of riot police were way over the top.

They would make great hosts.  It is a football daft country and they are very welcoming of foreigners.   
A German friend was there with his wife recently for league and European games.  He had a fantastic time and is booked to go back in February.  He feels they deserved the tournament ahead of Germany.  He is in a small minority of Germans with that view though. 

They also have a decent young side coming through and may spring a surprise next June.    
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

ClapClapClap
Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 11:53am
Germany 2006 was the first torunament I did as a neutral fan, was in college at the time so headed off for 3 weeks with an interrail pass and not much of an itinerary. So easy to get around, so well put together for viewing the games, lovely cities.

Would go back in a heartbeat
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They have made a mess of it, I just don’t know if it was deliberate or not.

Having originally been Blatter's great pal (heir presumptive?) at FIFA, Platini then fell out with him.

I reckon this farce of a tournament was Platini's idea to reinforce his powerbase at UEFA - i.e. divide the sweeties amongst as many Associations (i.e. votes) as possible.

Tbh, I've never liked Platini, ever since he sabotaged the career of fellow French international Jean-Francois Larios, who was all set to sign for Spurs, all because Larios had the temerity to be knobbing Platini's missus:
https://fabwags.com/michel-platinis-wife-christelle-platini/

I mean, if she could "take one for the team", I don't see why he couldn't have - he was team captain, after all!
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:00pm
Turks deserve f**k all. We are 3 years removed from a fúcking coup d'etat attempt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic