You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 139>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

And yet, despite all that, Slovakia are sh*t, Northern Ireland are sh*t and Bosnia are slightly less sh*t but have a habit of not turning up on the big occasions.

Slovakia are missing one of their best players in their goalie, they can't get their best midfielder out of Italy as things stand and they're so confident in their defence that they tried to convince a 35 year old centre back to come out of retirement only for him to say no to the offer.

So someone sh*t is going to qualify for the Euros from this playoff group. If we get the win in Slovakia everything will ramp up again, especially if it's us against the north in the final.

Clap LOL I'm more confident now. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:58am
I think its hard to get as excited as we really don't know what we are going to get. Going into an empty stadium, not sure what we are facing. Not really sure how ready we are, but expectations not that high. 

Starting to get a little bit more excited now though. 

Little bit more optimistic, think it suits us being away from home a little bit better than at home
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 12:01pm
Anyone int he business know how Kenny sets out his style of play with 1 or two limited training sessions?   Lot of team meetings and presentations?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'm excited for Thurs but nothing like the first SK game in Sept, when anything was possible.
After those two games, with poor results and some poor play and some good play, expectations have been dampened but maybe that's a good thing.

I'll say nothing but am hopeful we can play a far better pressing game and our forwards click.

Way I see it, if we fall short on Thurs then it's a clean sheet and SK can start really experimenting with lineups as he'll have (hopefully, damn U COVID!) four NL matches to do whatever he wants in.
Silver lining and all that...
If we lose Thursday night then it definitely won’t be a clean sheet for Kenny.
That would be 3 loses on the spin and a serious blot on his copy book and with 2 more games to follow with players disappointed to miss out on a chance to qualify for a major finals.
Could be hard to pick them up.

For himself he really needs to win if he does lads will be buzzing for the other 2 games with a playoff coming up.

3 competitive games in 2 weeks would be a great way for him to set them up in his mould.
But this will all be dependent on getting the win Thursday.

it’s Kenny’s   Biggest game of his managerial career to date he should be buzzing for it.

It would be two losses. We drew the first game.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

That would be 3 loses on the spin and a serious blot on his copy book and with 2 more games to follow with players disappointed to miss out on a chance to qualify for a major finals.

LOLLOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 1:28pm
Member of the backroom team has tested positive for Covid. No effect on teams departure 

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOLLOL
My mistake the poor performance was to the fore front of my mind.
A last minute equaliser against the high flying Bulgarians along with 2 loses on the spin would really take all the pressure off Kenny to be fair.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Member of the backroom team has tested positive for Covid. No effect on teams departure 

I think this is going to be an issue with international football in general. Players from different clubs in different parts of Europe and beyond gathering together in training camps outside of their usual limited club training groups. Could see some playoff matches forfeited, hopefully it hasn't spread within our squad.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 4:48pm
Yeah doesn't seem to be the buzz around this game that I thought there would be. Suppose there are many reasons for it. 

Not feeling very optimistic. I am a big Kenny fan and one who thinks we need to give him time but based on the last two performances I think we will need to pull something out of the hat if we are to go to Slovakia and win. Dealing with Ireland losing and covid/lockdown would be depressing. 
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 5:13pm
The ridiculous shambles that is the new qualifying process, the fact that we're even still in with a hope after being so bloody awful for years, has probably put people off the team. Nothing but bad results and terrible attempts to play football. And the fact that the Euros may not even happen, and the new international format with 74 teams or whatever has really diluted the tournament.
With the next world cup being an absolute joke in Qatar, and the expansion of the World Cup coming sooner or later, the golden era of international football is coming to an end. 

Maybe we'll suddenly start to look like a bunch of players who know what they're doing on Thursday but it's unlikely. We've seen before that all it takes is one decent midfielder in the opposing team for them to utterly dominate us, so I don't have much hope against this lot. 
We could pull something out of the bag, but I just don't think we have the players to beat Slovakia, never mind Bosnia. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 6:25pm
Loving your optimism
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

The ridiculous shambles that is the new qualifying process, the fact that we're even still in with a hope after being so bloody awful for years, has probably put people off the team. Nothing but bad results and terrible attempts to play football. And the fact that the Euros may not even happen, and the new international format with 74 teams or whatever has really diluted the tournament.
With the next world cup being an absolute joke in Qatar, and the expansion of the World Cup coming sooner or later, the golden era of international football is coming to an end. 

Maybe we'll suddenly start to look like a bunch of players who know what they're doing on Thursday but it's unlikely. We've seen before that all it takes is one decent midfielder in the opposing team for them to utterly dominate us, so I don't have much hope against this lot. 
We could pull something out of the bag, but I just don't think we have the players to beat Slovakia, never mind Bosnia. 

Agree with you on this, no one ever said being and ireland supporter would be easy LOL

As an ireland fan, I'm trying to balance hopeful optimism with realistic expectation going into this game and it's getting more difficult.

Watching ireland has been as frustrating as ever over the last decade. We've had very few decent games, I would say the Sweden game was the last.

I watched the Gibraltar home game on TV with some neutral fans and it was a little embarrassing. They were shocked at how bad we were.

I'm clinging on to the fact that players coming through look better than the last decade.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:15pm
I am on the optimistic end of the spectrum when it comes to our chances thursday. We struggle against the scandi countries and the decent tier 2 teams but we usually beat up the slovenia's,Bosnia and Slovakia's of the world.

I agree with others on the state of international football in Ireland and internationally but there is some light at the end of the tunnel in terms of players coming through. I still think unless we have 2 or 3 very good club sides here like say a Dinamo Zagreb scale with good academies we will struggle more and more to find success. 

I suppose I just worry the media will destroy Kenny before he gets going and pragmatism will take over again which is an utter disaster. I think we have to go even more progressive if he is seen as a failure.

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:28pm
Cold light of day view

A defence looking to play out from the back and play a high line with a carthorse like Shane Duffy as it’s lynchpin.

A midfield looking to play a passing possession game that can’t pass the ball forward nevermind play killer passes.

A trio of front men with a total of 2 international goals to their name.

Our big hope is the Slovaks are really bad.

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:28pm
Any word on harry arter today?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Cold light of day view

A defence looking to play out from the back and play a high line with a carthorse like Shane Duffy as it’s lynchpin.

A midfield looking to play a passing possession game that can’t pass the ball forward nevermind play killer passes.

A trio of front men with a total of 2 international goals to their name.

Our big hope is the Slovaks are really bad.

Goodness you are so right 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

I am on the optimistic end of the spectrum when it comes to our chances thursday. We struggle against the scandi countries and the decent tier 2 teams but we usually beat up the slovenia's,Bosnia and Slovakia's of the world.

I agree with others on the state of international football in Ireland and internationally but there is some light at the end of the tunnel in terms of players coming through. I still think unless we have 2 or 3 very good club sides here like say a Dinamo Zagreb scale with good academies we will struggle more and more to find success. 

I suppose I just worry the media will destroy Kenny before he gets going and pragmatism will take over again which is an utter disaster. I think we have to go even more progressive if he is seen as a failure.

We have never even played any Slovenia's (sic).
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 8:13pm
We are unbeaten against Slovenia. 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 139>
  Share Topic