You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 139>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:07am
ole ole ole ole ole come on Ireland. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:09am
I think the lack of plans for going to the game, be it home or away, has led to this sneaking up on fans. Even coordinating a trip to the pub to watch it is a no-go this time out.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:10am
Would the fact that none of us are heading there be lost on you? Hard to get overly excited about qualifying for a tournament that may not take place and if it does probably have no supporters in the grounds. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:16am
Look i have to say i am really looking forward to Thursday but just have a feeling we will fall short .

No blame on anyone really as it's just we dont that the players to play the way Kenny wants us to .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

very flat on here at the moment, unusually subdued for two days before a playoff.

It’s still part of the same campaign where we followed Mick’s team with the usual interest, but it feels different now. It’s possibly down to how poor we have been, and the fact that we face having to win two away games against better sides to qualify.

Also down to the quick turnaround from prem/championship weekend action to the playoff. No buildup really, just light training session yesterday and limited news reported on it, and suddenly the team are off to Slovakia today.

The excitement/interest may pick up today.

Many of us would be getting ready to head to Slovakia under normal circumstances. The fact we aren't probably dampens things for some also. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:40am

very flat on here at the moment, unusually subdued for two days before a playoff.

It’s still part of the same campaign where we followed Mick’s team with the usual interest, but it feels different now. It’s possibly down to how poor we have been, and the fact that we face having to win two away games against better sides to qualify.

Also down to the quick turnaround from prem/championship weekend action to the playoff. No buildup really, just light training session yesterday and limited news reported on it, and suddenly the team are off to Slovakia today.

I think it's the fact that this isn't really the play-off itself, it's a game to get to the play-off final.

They've made a mess of the qualifiers I think. This doesn't have the same feel as a home and away tie that you'd usually have.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I think it's the fact that this isn't really the play-off itself, it's a game to get to the play-off final.

They've made a mess of the qualifiers I think. This doesn't have the same feel as a home and away tie that you'd usually have.

I agree. Definitely different to the normal playoffs.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Would the fact that none of us are heading there be lost on you? Hard to get overly excited about qualifying for a tournament that may not take place and if it does probably have no supporters in the grounds. 

Quite a tetchy reply.

It’s still a play off.

I’m not having a go at anyone, just saying the mood here is subdued and the media coverage is subdued, for two days before a knockout tie.

Just an observation. I think your response was over the top.

Edited by rolo - 06 Oct 2020 at 10:51am
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:51am
It doesn’t feel like there’s a big match for us on Thursday. I am looking forward to the game but I’m not nervous about it at all. Usually for a playoff or big game, it’s all I can think of for about a week beforehand. It’s the unusual circumstances we’re in at the moment and nobody is traveling to the game. There seems to very little media interest in the game either.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:52am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It doesn’t feel like there’s a big match for us on Thursday. I am looking forward to the game but I’m not nervous about it at all. Usually for a playoff or big game, it’s all I can think of for about a week beforehand. It’s the unusual circumstances we’re in at the moment and nobody is traveling to the game. There seems to very little media interest in the game either.

Yeah that’s the same for me.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:53am
I'm excited for Thurs but nothing like the first SK game in Sept, when anything was possible.
After those two games, with poor results and some poor play and some good play, expectations have been dampened but maybe that's a good thing.

I'll say nothing but am hopeful we can play a far better pressing game and our forwards click.

Way I see it, if we fall short on Thurs then it's a clean sheet and SK can start really experimenting with lineups as he'll have (hopefully, damn U COVID!) four NL matches to do whatever he wants in.
Silver lining and all that...
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 10:56am
for me it’s probably the fact that we have no form going into it. I’m not even nervous, maybe resigned to missing out on the tournament. Hadn’t planned on going to the game so hadn’t been affected by the behind closed doors. If anything being behind closed doors gives us more of a chance so I’m happy it’s behind closed doors.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:02am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I feel removed from the Ireland national team like never before. will watch of course but really not particularly fussed
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:19am
The weight of low expectations. 

Biggest talking point has been the Coleman/Doherty debate which is a mute point now.

Barely a goalscorer in the team, no creative player to get excited about, defence looks like it could ship goals and a second string goal keeper.

Whelan and mcclean selections usually get debate going but we played them for too long and only now are we looking to replace them.

We're at the start of a rebuilding process. Looking at the Slovakia game, this might get worse before it gets better 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'm excited for Thurs but nothing like the first SK game in Sept, when anything was possible.
After those two games, with poor results and some poor play and some good play, expectations have been dampened but maybe that's a good thing.

I'll say nothing but am hopeful we can play a far better pressing game and our forwards click.

Way I see it, if we fall short on Thurs then it's a clean sheet and SK can start really experimenting with lineups as he'll have (hopefully, damn U COVID!) four NL matches to do whatever he wants in.
If we lose Thursday night then it definitely won’t be a clean sheet for Kenny.
That would be 3 loses on the spin and a serious blot on his copy book and with 2 more games to follow with players disappointed to miss out on a chance to qualify for a major finals.
Could be hard to pick them up.

For himself he really needs to win if he does lads will be buzzing for the other 2 games with a playoff coming up.

3 competitive games in 2 weeks would be a great way for him to set them up in his mould.
But this will all be dependent on getting the win Thursday.

it’s Kenny’s   Biggest game of his managerial career to date he should be buzzing for it.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

That would be 3 loses on the spin and a serious blot on his copy book and with 2 more games to follow with players disappointed to miss out on a chance to qualify for a major finals.

For himself he really needs to win if he does lads will be buzzing for the other 2 games with a playoff coming up.

3 competitive games in 2 weeks would be a great way for him to set them up in his mould.

it’s Kenny’s   Biggest game of his managerial career to date he should be buzzing for it.

Hi Howard
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Hi Howard
If only I meant it!!!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:30am
And yet, despite all that, Slovakia are sh*t, Northern Ireland are sh*t and Bosnia are slightly less sh*t but have a habit of not turning up on the big occasions.

Slovakia are missing one of their best players in their goalie, they can't get their best midfielder out of Italy as things stand and they're so confident in their defence that they tried to convince a 35 year old centre back to come out of retirement only for him to say no to the offer.

So someone sh*t is going to qualify for the Euros from this playoff group. If we get the win in Slovakia everything will ramp up again, especially if it's us against the north in the final.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 139>
  Share Topic