You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 139>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The fact that O'Riada is used as a retort to me using Verdi somewhat proves me point! Anyway...

Two sh*te teams to play a nil all draw and we will lose on penalties after Enda Stevens passes his sideways.

Meh, a retort isn’t the word I’d use. 

I worry about our ability to break them down over 90 mins, even if we have most of the ball. Again, a set piece is probably our best chance.

Expect to see:

Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens

Hendrick McCarthy Hourihane

Robinson McGoldrick Connolly
Yeah, I think that's the best team available and what he will go with. There's still lots of doubts, depends how good Slovakia are. I expect a dreadful game.
Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 10:06pm
Once we get the win i don't give a flying F what quality the game is 

Edited by Healy52003 - 30 Sep 2020 at 10:07pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Randolph

Doherty McCarthy Hourihane
          McGoldrick 

Robinson    Connolly

I think this team will face Slovakia - if all are fit. 

Change Doherty for Hendrick and that will be the team
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 12:02pm
Can he? Is there evidence to support this?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:16pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Randolph

McGoldrick 

Robinson    Connolly

Doherty can play the role, be a bigger goal threat and change the dynamic of what otherwise would be an almost default Irish line-up. 

As has been discussed before, he has never played that role. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:22pm
I'd be amazed if Doherty played in a 3 man midfield, it would be a complete surprise without any real evidence to suggest it's likely to work.
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:26pm
He did play there for the U21s, but it’s unlikely Kenny will play him there without a dry run.

I think there is a chance he’ll play right wing, considering we’re still without a good option there
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:31pm

Randolph

McGoldrick 

Robinson    Connolly

Doherty can play the role, be a bigger goal threat and change the dynamic of what otherwise would be an almost default Irish line-up. 

So what? Does that deny me an opinion?

Jaysis who said you can’t have an opinion. Your opinion is being called out and a request for evidence that is not the same as denying you the right to hold the opinion.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 2:12pm
Person offers opinion
Opinion is rebuffed.
Person thinks their opinion is now bothering people as opposed to, you know, simply being pushed back on which sometimes happens on forums.

On the topic, I'd be shocked if they both were in the starting 11 for Slovakia seeing as SK didn't test that water in Sept.
Also, would mean dropping either McG or Robinson.  Not unheard of by any means but Robinson has hit form and McG plays a kind of unique role.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 2:33pm
I'd be gobsmacked if Kenny started Young Doherty and Coleman in the same team for Slovakia and would be disappointed.

This is not an experimental game.  4-3-3 with Coleman.  Too late to be dicking about with formations.  Leave that for the NL.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 2:38pm

Randolph

McGoldrick 

Robinson    Connolly

So what? Does that deny me an opinion?

Not at all - back up your opinion ! It's all about discussion here not right and wrong.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:05pm
He's only saying that because if he says they can't be accommodated together then that's the next day's headline gifted to the press hacks.

Technically he's correct, they can be accommodated together because Doherty could play left back, as an example. That doesn't mean it should happen or that Kenny has any intention of picking both of them.

It was unbelievable how much of that press conference this week was wasted on two things that won't happen - Jack Byrne playing and Coleman and Doherty being picked together. Yet the press lads could come up with almost nothing else of interest to ask about.

Personally I'd pick Coleman. I have have a suspicion that he'll go with Doherty.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:25pm
Are we basing the few minutes vs Gibralter that Coleman and Doherty 
both played on the same side as all the evidence that it cant work? 

Playing Coleman at right back and Doherty further upfield doesn't seem like an impossible task to me... its not like christie in midfield which really is out of position.

I think a proper attempt at getting them both to play on the right is not an extraordinary ask. It we can get them to play together that could be very useful.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Playing Coleman at right back and Doherty further upfield doesn't seem like an impossible task to me... its not like christie in midfield which really is out of position.

I think a proper attempt at getting them both to play on the right is not an extraordinary ask. It we can get them to play together that could be very useful.

It might work, but it would be madness to try it in this game. There's no logic to trying it in Slovakia! I'm not sure there's any logic to it at all! 
The unnecessary overreaction to Kenny so far would suddenly become correct if he were to try it!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:40pm
Yeah - totally agree with that PM 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:41pm
I personally don't believe that Doherty and Coleman can play in the same team, or that Doherty can play on the wing.

As others have pointed out, Doherty scores his goals and gets his assists when the ball is played in front of him on the edge of the box.

He rarely beats a man with skill or pace, his game is arriving late at the back post unmarked. He won't get to do this as a right winger, the onus will be on him to beat men and create chances, as opposed to getting on the end of chances created by more dynamic attacking players (at club level).

I actually quite like the prospect of a front three of Connolly-McGoldrick-Robinson, you've got pace and trickery on both sides and McGoldrick drops back to help the midfield, which could create chances for the other two players.

I feel we'll be even blunter (than usual) with a right back as part of our attack.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:44pm

The ball spent more time swirling around in the wind in Gibraltar than it did on the ground, I don't think we can gleam much from that game. In any case, Doherty's performance on the right that day was hardly any worse than many others who have played there over the last 5 years, and most of them have received plenty of chances to improve.
We're decent enough..
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The ball spent more time swirling around in the wind in Gibraltar than it did on the ground, I don't think we can gleam much from that game. In any case, Doherty's performance on the right that day was hardly any worse than many others who have played there over the last 5 years, and most of them have received plenty of chances to improve.
That was the right hand side of a middle 4 not a middle 3. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 139>
  Share Topic