You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 139>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 11:50am
Seamus Coleman was brilliant yesterday again and has to start at right back.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 11:54am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Seamus Coleman was brilliant yesterday again and has to start at right back.
I think his experience is vital. I also think he is much suited to the back four we will certainly play.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 11:57am
I was in favour of Young Doherty being first choice from now on but his two performances in the NL did him no favours whatsoever.  I realise this was early in the season but even so when you get your chance you have to take it and he didn't.  So I would be happy for Coleman to come back in for this game anyway and see what happens after that. The formation will probably change as we move on after this game.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Smallbone, Obafemi and Long and non-starters for So'ton today.
We seem to have a lot of guaranteed squad-members not making starting teams.

I say that knowing only Long will likely be in the next squad but there are others - Idah, Hourihane, Connolly, O'Dowda and Arter too.
Many of the non-defensive options we looked at in the two NL games are simply not playing much club football yet and this match is fast approaching.

This is a worry.

McCarthy will hopefully be at full fitness (no guarantees there) and Hendrick too so that's something.
But who else from our midfield and attacking six will be?

O'Dowda and Arter shouldn't be in the squad to begin with. Connolly generally gets off the bench early 2nd half even if he doesn't start. Idah getting off the bench for Norwich regularly (which might be a better role for him in the national team). Villa haven't played a league game yet but it'll probably be Hourihane's position to lose, much like it was at the start of last season.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:16pm
If Robbie Brady starts for Burnley tonight, that would be a third Premiership midfielder with McCarthy and Hendrick. I doubt if Hourihane will be a first team pick at Villa. McGoldrick usually plays for Sheffield Utd when fit, Long is often on from the bench for Saints. I suspect McClean will be brought back for the Slovakia game and Connolly is likely to see some action at Brighton. Arter is reported to be close to signing a two year deal with Nottingham Forest.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:51pm
Whens the squad announcement ?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Whens the squad announcement ?

Monday week I'd say 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 6:31pm
 On current form I can only see the below as starters 

Randolph - there's simply no one else 

Egan - looks sharp and uniteds better centre back
Stephens - regaining his attacking sharpness
Coleman - been really solid for Everton 
Doherty - looks like hes getting his fitness back and had a good game today 

Hendrick - played today and Newcastle and hendrick looked better when he moved into the middle 
Mccarthy - played really well for palace

Connolly - beyond scoring for brighton looked like a really good player up top.

Can't say anyone else has been really good, randolph will play jus because no one else and doherty ans coleman might need to fight for a place.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Coleman can do no wrong - brilliant in defence and attack at weekend. It would be an insult not to start him on current form. Doherty? Midfield or the bench. Hopefully the former - he's simply too good to leave out. 

+1 on this... Coleman is back to his very best for Everton, in fact I would say his defending is better then ever before. 

Edited by Left foot - 21 Sep 2020 at 11:25am
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 11:30am

Coleman can do no wrong - brilliant in defence and attack at weekend. It would be an insult not to start him on current form. Doherty? Midfield or the bench. Hopefully the former - he's simply too good to leave out. 

As the old saying goes - get your best players on the bench. It was always touch and go if he would play, he is the captain also. Recent performances he is a must starter, the trouble being that Doherty surely has to start too. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

As the old saying goes - get your best players on the bench. It was always touch and go if he would play, he is the captain also. Recent performances he is a must starter, the trouble being that Doherty surely has to start too. 

Doherty does not play as part of a middle three so where do you play him?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 11:52am

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

You go first!

OK. Doherty doesn't get into my team. There  - Sorted. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 3:07pm

You go first!

OK. Doherty doesn't get into my team. There  - Sorted. 
If Kenny uses the same format I'd play Coleman and replace O'Dowda with Doherty. 

I doubt Doherty has ever played in the front 3 in his life
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 3:45pm
Brady plays left, right and centre of midfield.
Hendrick plays right and centre of midfield 
Egan plays in a back three and a back four 
Mcclean plays as a forward, left wing, left back.

Doherty - right wing back only....
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 4:28pm

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 21 Sep 2020 at 4:30pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 4:30pm

If he can drop Coleman for Doherty, then he can certainly drop Doherty for the in-form captain with bags of experience. Everybody keeps saying that Doherty can't play in a 4 and is best used as a wing back - well surely to god he could play on the wing in midfield aswell. Granted its a slightly different position for him but attacking all the same. But as I said - get your best players on the pitch - so I'd like to see both of them play if possible.

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 21 Sep 2020 at 4:31pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 4:36pm

If he can drop Coleman for Doherty, then he can certainly drop Doherty for the in-form captain with bags of experience. Everybody keeps saying that Doherty can't play in a 4 and is best used as a wing back - well surely to god he could play on the wing in midfield aswell. Granted its a slightly different position for him but attacking all the same. But as I said - get your best players on the pitch - so I'd like to see both of them play if possible.

But Kenny is playing 4-3-3 and Doherty has not played in that formation in any of the front 6 spots. 
So, do you play him in a position he has not played before just to get him in the team???
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 5:16pm
I don't think forcing your best players out of position just to have them on the pitch works. Scotland seem to regularly try to do this and rarely with much success. 

I also think that Doherty is one of those players that suits a certain system and position within that system and isn't anywhere near as good outwith it. Unless we change to that system I don't think he should be starting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 139>
  Share Topic