You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 139>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

This would be my starting 11.

Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
Hendrick McCarthy Brady
Robinson McGoldrick Connolly

I see no issues with that.  I reckon it will be close to thr team with possibly Doherty at right full 

I think Kenny will play Doherty at right full and I reckon O'Dowda could be out with injury.

Robinson is a good player and I don't think we have seen the best of him yet.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

I don’t think Shane Long should be ruled out starting, even potentially out wide. If either him or McGoldrick are starting, playing well and score a couple of goals in the next month, they’ll be in pole position.

I think Coleman will be selected ahead of Doherty but again club form will decide it.
Long and McGoldrick don't score goals, so what then.

Probably the only striker we have who scores goals or even starts regularly is Collins. Apparently I'm trolling for suggesting him though
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:38pm
And why isn't Josh Cullen in the squad, he was impressive in most of his appearances recently and it's like hes been forgotten about
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

And why isn't Josh Cullen in the squad, he was impressive in most of his appearances recently and it's like hes been forgotten about

Who would you drop for him? There isn’t much between any of the CMs. Toss of a coin so I don’t understand why you are so shocked.

Collins doesn’t have the quality of our other options. Long scored loads of goals when he was playing at lower levels as well
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:58pm

Who would you drop for him? There isn’t much between any of the CMs. Toss of a coin so I don’t understand why you are so shocked.

Collins doesn’t have the quality of our other options. Long scored loads of goals when he was playing at lower levels as well
Alan Browne, I doubt he will play much. Collins is a better striker than Sean Maguire imo, Maguire has been terrible in most matches for Ireland.

I've seen enough of Maguire , that performance against Gibraltar was unacceptable for a player at this level. Thinks hes a big time Charlie with his slick hair and plucked eyebrows. Could barely control the football. 5 goals in 44 appearances last season, he is living off his LOI days.

musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:10pm
This game could be 120 mins. A fourth sub is allowed in extra time, but fitness could be key for this one. 

——- from Wikipedia: ——-

The play-offs are played in single-leg knockout matches. If scores are level at the end of normal time, 30 minutes of extra time is played, where each team is allowed to make a fourth substitution.[12] If the scores remain tied, a penalty shoot-out is used to determine the winner.[1]

The UEFA Executive Committee approved the use of the video assistant referee system for the qualifying play-offs during their meeting in Nyon, Switzerland on 4 December 2019

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:16pm

Take away the penalties and Collins averages 1 in 5.75 games at Championship level, a record Long doubled in his best season at that level. Long also averages 1 in 5.81 games at Premier League level, in a career that has seen him make 320 PL appearances. Collins isn't fit to clean Long's boots.

Long can also play either side of a front 3 or even behind the striker. He's played everywhere for Southampton and didn't enjoy a regular run of games up front until Pellegrino's reign; he barely played as an out-and-out forward under Koeman for example.

In addition to that, as someone mentioned elsewhere, he's played as a wide attacking midfielder for us at times - he could certainly be played there again. He still has the pace, he can draw fouls, and his crossing ability is actually pretty underrated.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:55pm
I'd like to see 3 at the back, Doherty and stevens as wingbacks. I think we will see (provided no injuries of course);

Randolph; Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens; Hendrick Arter Molumby; O'Dowda McGoldrick Connolly
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 3:16pm
Mcarthy will play without a doubt once fit. Ater is not a good defensive midfielder. I'd say Robinson has a shot ahead of odowda. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 3:24pm
beginning.to  think he will go with the three in midfield that was used in Lille and against Germany in 2015   McCarthy and Hendrick and Brady.

Two massive results were we beat a top team 1-0  Now we fluked the germsnt game and the Italy game was a dead rubber for them.  

Edited by Baldrick - 08 Sep 2020 at 3:25pm
AKA pedantic kunt
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

Mcarthy will play without a doubt once fit. Ater is not a good defensive midfielder. I'd say Robinson has a shot ahead of odowda. 

I'd call up Glen Whelan 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 3:57pm
A half way house of going with experience but also with the new style would be a team of 

Randolph 

Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens 

McCarthy 

Hendrick Brady

Long  McGoldrick Connolly

The more I think about it there is only 3 positions up for grabs.  Right full,  the slot I have Brady in and the right sided forward

So it boils down to Coleman or Doherty 

Brady/Hourihane/Arter 

Long/Robinson/O Dowda. 

AKA pedantic kunt
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 3:57pm
Unchanged back 5 - Hourihane Hendrick and Molumby in midfield - Connolly, Didsy and O’Dowda.

I’m concerned about O’Dowda a bit - I’m not sure if he has the quality to play this role for us, but I think this is the way we should approach the game. It will become a lot clearer once the club season gets underway and we see which players are performing better than others, but I think if we were playing tomorrow that’s how it would be.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 4:07pm

I don’t think Shane Long should be ruled out starting, even potentially out wide. If either him or McGoldrick are starting, playing well and score a couple of goals in the next month, they’ll be in pole position.

I think Coleman will be selected ahead of Doherty but again club form will decide it.

I honestly think, if we are going to play any form of incisive, attacking football, McGoldrick as the "Number 10", and Long as the striker would make sense. I think one of the major problems that we have had in the last 18 months of so, is how deep McGoldrick drops, which in fact is a very good trait, but it requires the midfield to make up the difference, without a striking partner. More often than not, I have seen us add to our striking line (throwing Murphy/Maguire/Hogan) into the mix and it made a difference as the defence had to watch more than one striker, who dropped deep anyway. You could also play Idah up top, instead of Long.

That would mean the midfield would have to be sensibly built, and with a holding player to assist the defence, and given our midfield issues, playing like this may be easier said than done.
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 4:20pm
Those who are calling for 5 at the back, I am guessing want;

Coleman    Duffy    Egan
Doherty                                        Stevens

or would you rather a Clarke / K Long in Coleman's place?

Is the only time we tried 3-5-2 Vs Switzerland away?
That day we went

Egan  Duffy  Stevens
Coleman                                McClean

which was changed after 28 minutes, but wasn't practiced in training and didn't utilise either Doherty or Stevens in their wing back positions.

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:44pm
Seems like no time till the next squad will be announced. Probably around 3 weeks time. 
Will be 3 weekends of league matches and maybe a few mid week too.
The dark side.. And the light
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

Those who are calling for 5 at the back, I am guessing want;

Coleman    Duffy    Egan
Doherty                                        Stevens

or would you rather a Clarke / K Long in Coleman's place?

Is the only time we tried 3-5-2 Vs Switzerland away?
That day we went

Egan  Duffy  Stevens
Coleman                                McClean

which was changed after 28 minutes, but wasn't practiced in training and didn't utilise either Doherty or Stevens in their wing back positions.

No, MON played a back 3 in his last about 5 games, starting with the friendlies against turkey and france as far as i know. Was more a back 7 though 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:24pm
correct me if im wrong but didnt Kenny go with a back 3 vr Italy with the 21s in their last game? i know hes a 433 man but he also mentioned flexibility according to who we are playing etc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 139>
  Share Topic