You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 139>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:54pm
I really, really hope we are allowed to go to some of these games. The thought of not being able to is so depressing.

I was only planning on going to Finland and Slovakia this year as well as the homes, but I'll go to Cardiff and Sofia if fans are permitted. If they were playing Mozambique on the planet Mercury I'd make an effort to go at this stage.

Loads of leave left now and a rake of plane vouchers because getting a refund is seeming nigh on impossible.

In terms of the way it is set up (currently), it's a great opportunity for Kenny to have plenty of time with the side before the playoff. One main drawback to international football for managers is the length of time you would have with the players, but if we have 5 games across September and October before the playoffs, thats almost on the level of club management. To put it in perspective, our fifth and sixth games under Mick were the Swiss home game and the Bulgaria friendly a few days later. It took him 6 months to play as many fixtures as Kenny will have played in 2.
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:58pm
Gary Owens saying Kenny could have 5 games under his belt before Bratislava. Presuming this means triple headers with the Nations league

Edited by Denis Irwin - 21 Apr 2020 at 6:01pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

I really, really hope we are allowed to go to some of these games. The thought of not being able to is so depressing.

I was only planning on going to Finland and Slovakia this year as well as the homes, but I'll go to Cardiff and Sofia if fans are permitted. If they were playing Mozambique on the planet Mercury I'd make an effort to go at this stage.

Loads of leave left now and a rake of plane vouchers because getting a refund is seeming nigh on impossible.

In terms of the way it is set up (currently), it's a great opportunity for Kenny to have plenty of time with the side before the playoff. One main drawback to international football for managers is the length of time you would have with the players, but if we have 5 games across September and October before the playoffs, thats almost on the level of club management. To put it in perspective, our fifth and sixth games under Mick were the Swiss home game and the Bulgaria friendly a few days later. It took him 6 months to play as many fixtures as Kenny will have played in 2.

Yeah theres probably little to no chance of us being allowed to travel.

If we are I'll be at all of them but I highly doubt it
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 9:25am
I suppose that if the games did go ahead at the end of the year, our players will have seen almost zero game time beforehand?

So as it stands the squad is what it is, players like Connolly, molumby, knight, Collins etc will be seen as not ready now so unlikely then either.

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I suppose that if the games did go ahead at the end of the year, our players will have seen almost zero game time beforehand?

So as it stands the squad is what it is, players like Connolly, molumby, knight, Collins etc will be seen as not ready now so unlikely then either.

Why will they be seen as not ready? Listen to Kennys podcast from last year with Dunphy.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:27am

If we have International football this year then triple headers are quite likely.  

My guess is the September International window will go.

Sadly I don't think anyone on the forum will see us in a stadium this year.  Hope I'm wrong.  Indeed personally I'd hope we don't go back playing until fans are allowed in.  

My thinking

Domestic club football will start first behind closed doors followed by restrictions on attendance maybe no travelling fans
European club football will be more of a challenge re crossing borders.  Would our government allow Dundalk to play Dynamo Brest (champions of Belarus)?  
International matches would mean players coming from all over Europe to play together thus increasing the risk hugely.   

However nobody knows at this stage.  
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:33am
I ain't expecting to set foot in a stadium for sport of any description this year unfortunately  Cry

Fully expect to be this time next year at the earliest before most of us do
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:03pm

Anyone who has played under Kenny at 21's (and is getting first team football) is more than in with a shout. Kenny knows these players inside out. Logic dictates that he'd be more confident throwing Molumby into "his" midfield than Conor Hourihane. 

As has been mentioned, I've heard enough of Kenny at this stage, to conclude he's not picking a starting 11 based on what clubs the players are at or what "experience" they might be bringing.

For better or worse, Kenny coming in will bring an end to 12 years of default pragmatism. We have to get used to idea that the days of players being picked because they are the "safe option" are now gone.

Players who can implement what Kenny wants will play, regardless of any other factor. 
 i

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:45pm
Guys this is getting really serious, we need football back soon. I'm beginning to have conversations with the wife.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:28pm

Guys this is getting really serious, we need football back soon. I'm beginning to have conversations with the wife.
ShockedLOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:55am
September international fixtures now look unlikely according to FIFA. 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Yeah looks like fifa want to push the international window to November/December and create a potential 3/4 week tournament style international break with potentially 6 matches during that period.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Yeah looks like fifa want to push the international window to November/December and create a potential 3/4 week tournament style international break with potentially 6 matches during that period.

I'd suggest basing ourselves in Gran Canaria for a winter tournament.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 4:15pm
T minus three weeks for football in the EL to kick off again (maybe) 

Might get some news on the playoff games soon?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:41am

T minus three weeks for football in the EL to kick off again (maybe) 

Might get some news on the playoff games soon?

Wouldn't be holding my breath on that one.  The UK are far from out of the water and the evidence of their behavior as a nation suggests more, and severe, waves may be on the horizon.
If their rates start climbing again in a week or two, that June 1 date of a resumption of some sports is easy to push out.
WillieB View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:06am
haha LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 11:55am
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0822/1160666-slovan-bratislavas-european-tie-in-faroes-cancelled/

Our match the best part of 8 weeks away but all the same. Be interesting to see if this end up effecting their Nations League games next month. May just be bad luck for Slovan

Edited by Denis Irwin - 22 Aug 2020 at 11:55am

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:49pm
Martin Dubravka has picked up an injury that will keep him out of Newcastle's opening games and it is likely he will not be ready for the Ireland match. I do not think Slovakia have any other goalkeepers of comparable standard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 139>
  Share Topic