You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 139>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:51pm
I agree regarding the winter World Cup, but the NL isn’t a priority and won’t be seen as such. Next season, however it runs, is likely to be shorter anyway, but given what is paid for the rights in (some) leagues they will always be put ahead of the NL by broadcasters.

Edited by pre Madonna - 01 Apr 2020 at 8:28pm
Sponsored Links

Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:32pm
I am looking forward to Kenny taking over but mick has unfinished business here and should be allowed to see it through if he chooses to IMO 
Why no wine??!
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:40pm
FAI will do whatever is cheaper, and despite it being presented to the public as a 'choice' between the 2 managers, by the time football comes back and given existing their finances were in tatters before this ever happened, there won't be much of a choice in reality. 

On the surface of it, you would think that means likely be appointing Kenny. Only way I could see that not happening is if the ''exit bonus'' that McCarthy has was to be restructured as a year's payment instead, rather than him getting that lump in July or whatever, they continue to pay him for the year and see out the Euros. Mick would effectively be working a year for free, given he presumably gets paid his bonus one way or another. 

His agents and financial people would be telling him not to go for any option like that, but if he really was determined to see out the campaign, something like that may be the only way he gets to stay on.

Government monies promised (and this goes for any given sector or Government Department) will likely be heavily revised after a couple of emergency budgets too, just about the only certainty out of this is that the FAI will no longer be able to afford paying McCarthy his inflated salary, or pay anyone else that type of money either. Rather than a simple pick of 2 managers, I think that is the real choice the FAI are left with, either persuade Mick to take a huge pay cut, or leave him go. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:07am
Interesting insights as always deise, it may be prove more complex as Mick would very likely be on some performance bonuses too. Bonus for qualifying, bonus for getting out of the group stages etc etc.

Given that he may not be given the opportunity to deliver on those bonuses, should the also be presented? 

Considering the financial turmoil if mick had some compassion for the situation it would be a good gesture to forgo such monies.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:40am
I think Mick has to go one way or the other.

Can’t afford his salary without doubt, firstly.

Secondly, I am assuming the playoffs are this time next year, he will have no motivation to blood any new players (good chance we  would see the same team start last week had it gone ahead as will next March fitness permitting), Kenny will have missed out on an ideal warmup (assuming 6 Nations league matches go ahead) for the World Cup qualifiers which he has already been appointed to take control for, and we are playing catch up simply due to sentiment caused by a mad deal struck by none other than the poison of Irish football.

Mick is part of the old FAI - brought in as a short term fix to quieten the anti FAI sentiment and draw us to a Euros to polish JDs ego at any price to the detriment of Irish football in the long term. Time to move on. Mick was blessed to get the gig - if the revelations had come out 6 months earlier; different kettle of fish. Mick’s had his chance 

Edited by Pipkin - 02 Apr 2020 at 2:41am
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:53am
False. McCarthy was signed on a multi million Euro salary, likely the last one for the foreseeable future, and in relative terms hopefully ever, because Irish football under Delaney was living beyond its means. He was a benefactor of the old FAI.

How can anyone possibly dispute that?
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

I think Mick has to go one way or the other.

Can’t afford his salary without doubt, firstly.

Secondly, I am assuming the playoffs are this time next year, he will have no motivation to blood any new players (good chance we  would see the same team start last week had it gone ahead as will next March fitness permitting), Kenny will have missed out on an ideal warmup (assuming 6 Nations league matches go ahead) for the World Cup qualifiers which he has already been appointed to take control for, and we are playing catch up simply due to sentiment caused by a mad deal struck by none other than the poison of Irish football.

Mick is part of the old FAI - brought in as a short term fix to quieten the anti FAI sentiment and draw us to a Euros to polish JDs ego at any price to the detriment of Irish football in the long term. Time to move on. Mick was blessed to get the gig - if the revelations had come out 6 months earlier; different kettle of fish. Mick’s had his chance 

You were doing the usual ho-hum rubbishing of McCarthy until the last paragraph. You then imply he is "part of the old FAI" and, as such, Delaney's stooge. Cheap, untrue and possibly libellous. Whatever your reservations about McCarthy's managerial abilities, I'm disappointed you choose to drag him into that depth of mud despite your commentary on the Delaney fiasco on other threads being fair and credible. 

I didn't take that from what he said took. When you look at it in reality Mick's contract is a perfect example of how the old  fai operated throwing money at the problem when in reality they couldn't afford it. Just look at the parting gift that's included in the contract for any evidence needed

None of that's a direct attack on Mick McCarthy but it's reality that the situation we find ourselves in with the managerial contracts is testimony to how the old fai operated Delaney didn't want to risk not qualifying for the euros because that was going to be another key part of his legacy
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:41am
The FAI have been paying managers beyond their means for years, even with the help of tax dodgers! Have a look at what other small football nations pay their managers.
No disrespect to Mick, but he is being massively overplayed.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:51am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I agree regarding the winter World Cup, but the NL isn’t a priority and won’t be seen as such. Next season, however it runs, is likely to be shorter anyway, but given what is paid for the rights in (some) leagues they will always be put ahead of the NL by broadcasters.

The NL in the grand scheme of things isn't a high priority but they have currently have an agreed schedule of dates covering all UEFA members and 200 odd games over 3 periods  that they can flog the TV rights to and even UEFA in the present climate will want the revenue especially as the euros were postponed  .

For the playoffs they need to accommodate 16 teams for 12 matches which could all happen on any Thurs/Tues
either the clubs allow they players to be released and the leagues continue
UEFA force the clubs to release their players and the league continues
or the leagues are shelved for that weekend ( compromise maybe during a 'winter break' as not all clubs will be affected nor are there any big names in the playoffs)

really hope the NL dates aren't shifted
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

The NL in the grand scheme of things isn't a high priority but they have currently have an agreed schedule of dates covering all UEFA members and 200 odd games over 3 periods  that they can flog the TV rights to and even UEFA in the present climate will want the revenue especially as the euros were postponed  .

For the playoffs they need to accommodate 16 teams for 12 matches which could all happen on any Thurs/Tues
or the leagues are shelved for that weekend ( compromise maybe during a 'winter break' as not all clubs will be affected nor are there any big names in the playoffs)

NR , i would say just about anything is off the table right now . Now where we will be in six months time is anyones guess .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:21am

For television companies, and as a result UEFA, ‘club’ football is a priority. They will do everything they can to get this season finished and to have next season as long as it can possibly be. Then they will worry about the Euros. I can’t see them even caring about the NL. It goes without saying that I hope I am wrong, but that’s the way they will be thinking.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:23am

From Dan McDonnell's indo piece today. 

"Nations League double-headers are marked down for September, October and November and calling them off would pose difficulties as the lucrative centralised TV contract which benefits every member nation is based on those fixtures being played." 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:27am
Bit of chatter going round of triple headers in October and November in order to leave the NL as is and tack the semi finals on in October and the finals in November. Not sure how that would work, Slovakia v Ireland Wednesday 7th October and our NL games the following Saturday and Tuesday stay as they are?
Ask MaGee
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

"Nations League double-headers are marked down for September, October and November and calling them off would pose difficulties as the lucrative centralised TV contract which benefits every member nation is based on those fixtures being played." 
Are UEFA that bothered about the nations? Their main aim is to keep the big five leagues and their top teams happy, not the nations. 
They may well play the NL, of course, but all they are concerned about is the CL and the leagues allowed to win it.
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:22am
Financial considerations will dictate what happens and on that basis I'd expect Kenny to take over.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:01pm

Are UEFA that bothered about the nations? Their main aim is to keep the big five leagues and their top teams happy, not the nations. 
They may well play the NL, of course, but all they are concerned about is the CL and the leagues allowed to win it.

It's intrinsically linked to the centralised TV deal with big penalties if thet're not played so yeah, I reckon so.

Is it just your opinion they're not or are you basing it on anything you're reading or hearing?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:10pm

It's intrinsically linked to the centralised TV deal with big penalties if thet're not played so yeah, I reckon so.

Is it just your opinion they're not or are you basing it on anything you're reading or hearing?
Just my opinion, but I have seen others agree. In fact, I have seen people talk about scrapping the Euros too. In fairness, many of those share my grievances about the shambolic nature of it, a nature I feel was deliberate. Either way, I think the Euros will definitely go ahead.

Regarding the penalties, they  would be la lot less than what they would make from finishing this season's CL and having a full one next season. UEFA will not want the penalties, but once the big clubs point out their concerns, particularly regarding the number of  fixtures, I expect them to acquiesce.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:13pm

Just my opinion, but I have seen others agree. In fact, I have seen people talk about scrapping the Euros too. In fairness, many of those share my grievances about the shambolic nature of it, a nature I feel was deliberate. Either way, I think the Euros will definitely go ahead.

Regarding the penalties, they  would be la lot less than what they would make from finishing this season's CL and having a full one next season. UEFA will not want the penalties, but once the big clubs point out their concerns, particularly regarding the number of  fixtures, I expect them to acquiesce.

Apples and oranges though. Bulk of CL money foes to the clubs, the centralised TV deal for internationals goes directly to the members.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 139>
  Share Topic