You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 139>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Just watched the highlights back here: https://youtu.be/tYjP2_6fSaE

Watch the goalscoring chances we created. This was a very encouraging performance.

Turn it off after 4 minutes to avoid the penalties.

Spot on there if we won on penos would people change their a always is if the game.  The result of the Penalties does not change how we played for better or for worse. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:42am
Others teams now are just as fit , just as passionate as ourselves but most are better technically, that’s where need to make the improvements and it will take time 

Anybody who thinks we continue playing the MON way of lumping it forward and chasing it that we will be successful is delusional 

It was getting less success as time went by 

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:50am
I would always take a win over nice football.  I don’t go to our games to be entertained.  

However it’s not an either or situation. I don’t think would have won on Thursday by bashing the ball forward. For some time it has become clear that a long ball game isn’t working.  Unless you have a dominant target man who can deliver possession to other forwards or attacking midfielders you are just giving the ball back to your opponents. We were way too predictable.  The way we are playing now will serve us better as we get more used to it and the passing becomes snappier.  A couple of personnel changes will be needed also.  

Gutted but optimistic.
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Surprised to read the last few pages where Kenny was getting stick last night. Have some posters been watching Ireland the past 10 years?

For once I feel very optimistic for the future, and Kenny like every other manager before him should be judged after 10 games and not 3. 

Yes and in those 10 years we qualified for two major tournaments and missed out on the play offs for another. Nice football is all well and good but the results of the last 10 years have seen us have success. Even if the performances weren't great to watch.

You do know you can have both, a decent way of playing and some moderate success in qualifying for the odd tournament, which is what most fans want. If you enjoyed going to games home and away while we played some of the worst football imaginable good for you. Personally I've had enough of it and I am very hopeful Kenny can deliver. 

That wasn't your point though. I enjoyed games like Estonia, Austria, Italy, Germany, Wales and others because we won. Did we play great in any of those games? Not really. Did we play nice stuff. Not really. But we won. I have watched Ireland the last 10 years and seen some great nights. I hope Kenny can deliver but I won't judge stringing passes together and playing with fluidity a success if we don't get results.
The point is , it will take time. Im willing to give it time. 3 games in and what Kenny is trying to achieve can be seen. Yes football is a results business, but to me this is not a business, this is my country and Im willing to let a few results go wrong now for the greater good. Our underage is going well and we have lads coming through. We will never beat the world but we can try and I think we will do just that with Kenny.

Sorry but that’s bullshït. You’re happy to lose/draw games so long as the football we play is to your liking? You’re wrong in saying international football is not a business, it is. If the team do well then there’s a bit of happiness in the country among those that care. Before Covid, people went to the games and went to the puns, restaurants, bought gear and travelled abroad to watch the team. Do you think people would be happier with us playing unbelievable football and losing every game 1-0 or would they rather us win games whatever way possible?

Irish football has never been about playing wonderful football. It’s been rough and ready stuff and it’s about beating the better teams by playing to our strengths. Now, it’s never been pretty watching Ireland but as long as we get a result or a win who cares? Do you think people remember the result in Russia in 2011 for anything other than Dunne’s masterclass and last ditch tackles? Do you think if Ireland played Russia off the pitch that night and had 70% possession and 30 shots on goal that people would remember that game? 

Jesus another one of the get rid of it brigade.  

I’d like to watch more attractive football, as long as the team gets the results. I don’t care how a win is achieved as long as it’s a win.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:01am
I think people are forgetting that the past 10 years generally got us draws away from home and a few defeats and the very odd win.  

Thursday night we drew and lost on pence.  So the playing passing football didn’t set us back and when you consider it was the managers 3rd game and a huge playoff game to be arguably the better side and get a draw away from home like we did under Trap and we have done many many times before.  This idea that it’s passing = losing and kick it long = qualification it doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny at the moment.  

Edited by Baldrick - 10 Oct 2020 at 10:46am
AKA pedantic kunt
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:36am

This idea that it’s passing = losing and kick it long = qualification it doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny at the moment.  

There is also an assumption that passing football = good football.
For me it’s always about attacking football = good football.

I don’t really care about midfield passing, I don’t know who does. What I want to see is 

full backs attacking
balls behind the oppositions defence with our attackers being able to challenge for them
Players being setup to take shots that go on target
Dribbles with good close control
Improvised quick exchange passing in tight areas 

Lads going on about the number of passes, I don’t see the point. Passing around in your own half will give you good numbers but it’s boring to watch.

It’s about your threat level in and around the opposition’s box.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

This idea that it’s passing = losing and kick it long = qualification it doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny at the moment.  

I don’t really care about midfield passing, I don’t know who does. What I want to see is 

full backs attacking
balls behind the oppositions defence with our attackers being able to challenge for them

Lads going on about the number of passes, I don’t see the point. Passing around in your own half will give you good numbers but it’s boring to watch.

Well our full backs did attack and we did attack more than we have done in previous away games such as Georgia and Switzerland away in the very recent past.  

At no point do I look at Kenny’s Ireland and think it is passing for passings sake.  We tried to win the game in extra time also.  Anyone who can’t see the difference and can’t see that I worry about their knowledge of footballs.  We drew an away game by going for it as opposed to hanging on and nicking an equaliser.  That’s after 3 games.  Hopefully by the time the wc campaign comes along we will have bedded in our more talented prospects and the team will have even more cohesion in the attacking areas. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:43am
there are encouraging signs with Kenny but we need to be able to build pressure on opponents. We didn’t on Thursday. All the games chances were at least 10 mins apart. Ireland could go 15-20 mins without a good chance. In football the teams that score regularly are the ones that produce chance flurries where the pressure overcomes the opposition. We should have won but we need to shoot more.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:48am

there are encouraging signs with Kenny but we need to be able to build pressure on opponents. We didn’t on Thursday. All the games chances were at least 10 mins apart. Ireland could go 15-20 mins without a good chance. In football the teams that score regularly are the ones that produce chance flurries where the pressure overcomes the opposition. We should have won but we need to shoot more.

Agreed I thought Hendrick esp has a good shot on him and was in a few positions around the box and didn’t. Shoot.  We are far from finished article and we are a mid 30s FIFA ranked team so let’s be honest this may take a number of games to get right.  But we are not going backwards if Thursday night is a sign of things to come and hopefully with four NL games and maybe a friendly it’s good prep for WC qualifiers that may or may not go ahead in March. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:55am

full backs attacking

End product and taking your chances is vital sadly we are badly lacking in this department...reminded me a little of Paris 2009 when we were dominant and should have put the game to bed.
You can have all the nice passing and penetration but need to hit the net... I would have taken hoof ball and a 1-0 win.Cry

Some good performances Egan, Hendrick and McGoldrick was superb such an intelligent footballer.
Infuriating probably never get a better chance to play a cup final in Windsor.

Not sure how Kenny gets them up for tomorrow.

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:57am

Agreed I thought Hendrick esp has a good shot on him and was in a few positions around the box and didn’t. Shoot.  We are far from finished article and we are a mid 30s FIFA ranked team so let’s be honest this may take a number of games to get right.  But we are not going backwards if Thursday night is a sign of things to come and hopefully with four NL games and maybe a friendly it’s good prep for WC qualifiers that may or may not go ahead in March. 

Mcgoldrick played great attacking football last night but he also never looked to shoot. From watching Mcgoldrick with ireland I still have no idea if he is a good striker of a football.

I am optimistic but it’s cautious optimism. We have no played anything close to a quality opponent yet.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:06am
The comments on here are something to behold. 

We are more likely to win games playing football! This is why teams with players playing at lower levels than ours are leaving us behind.

Playing against every team we play with 40 yard long balls is as predictable as much as anything and teams have figured out how to play against us with ease.

We need to hold on to the ball and create chances not hope a defender fails to read a long ball after 100 attempts.

Our players play better for their club teams than for ireland and I include Coleman, Doherty and Stevens in that. We need to catch up and play modern football.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:08am

This thread is head wrecking. Can the “Win ugly” crew not see that we weren’t winning matches at all for the past couple of years. The trends weren’t looking more positive, things were getting worse. Booting it long whilst not committing numbers to attack was a flawed system. You’re better off hoping to win the Euromillions even though you forgot to buy a ticket. At least Wimbledon/ Watford/ Big Jack etc played the system well and got loads of bodies forward to pick up breaking ball. 

By keeping possession for a few passes, we relieve pressure on our own defence and allow our players time to get up the pitch. This enhances our chances of scoring goals. Passing the ball in our own half or having players spread around the pitch can lead to problems when we lose the ball and we may concede goals.

However, relentlessly kicking the ball back to our opponents whilst being camped in around our own area is also likely to cost us goals. It’s also a gutless way to play and horrible to watch. 
El Puto Amo
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:15am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

This thread is head wrecking. Can the “Win ugly” crew not see that we weren’t winning matches at all for the past couple of years. The trends weren’t looking more positive, things were getting worse. Booting it long whilst not committing numbers to attack was a flawed system. You’re better off hoping to win the Euromillions even though you forgot to buy a ticket. At least Wimbledon/ Watford/ Big Jack etc played the system well and got loads of bodies forward to pick up breaking ball. 

By keeping possession for a few passes, we relieve pressure on our own defence and allow our players time to get up the pitch. This enhances our chances of scoring goals. Passing the ball in our own half or having players spread around the pitch can lead to problems when we lose the ball and we may concede goals.

However, relentlessly kicking the ball back to our opponents whilst being camped in around our own area is also likely to cost us goals. It’s also a gutless way to play and horrible to watch. 
ClapClapClap
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

full backs attacking

End product and taking your chances is vital sadly we are badly lacking in this department...reminded me a little of Paris 2009 when we were dominant and should have put the game to bed.
You can have all the nice passing and penetration but need to hit the net... I would have taken hoof ball and a 1-0 win.Cry

Some good performances Egan, Hendrick and McGoldrick was superb such an intelligent footballer.

But the liklihood is it would have been hoofball and a draw or
A defeat.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

We did put pressure on them. We were the better team. We lack a striker. It's not Kenny's fault. Stop navel gazing. 

Lack a goal creator as well. Our chances were normally 15-20 mins apart. That’s not real pressure. 
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:45am

Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

full backs attacking

But the liklihood is it would have been hoofball and a draw or
A defeat.  

Listen I'm all for niceties from Brady, Giles etc picking up from the back four and spraying it about and our performance was good Thursday, but we lack a finisher at the moment and missed some real gilt edged opportunities....its infuriating as our efforts deserved better.

When I say 'hoofball' I would have accepted anything to win that game... and I've sat through some real sh*te in the last 12 years at Lansdowne particularly the Trap era.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 12:09pm
the implication in your post is that hoof ball is pragmatic and gets us wins and passing ends in defeats.  

We lack a finisher whether we play hoof ball or pass it from the back.  We are more likely to create better chances with passing football in my view.  Hoofball is likely to produce half chances that neee a Robbie to finish 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 139>
  Share Topic