You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 3:24pm
Mick would have taken your hand off for a penalty shootout in Bratislava!
Sponsored Links

orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I am a fan of Kenny.  But if he loses these 2 games coming up there will be a lot of pressure on him

Who will we replace him with? Hello is Mick there? Stick with him and we will come good. Im sure of it.

You cant possibly be sure of that. Nobody here can make any guarantees'.
https://www.orourkeda.blog

orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The comments on here are something to behold. 

We are more likely to win games playing football! This is why teams with players playing at lower levels than ours are leaving us behind.

Playing against every team we play with 40 yard long balls is as predictable as much as anything and teams have figured out how to play against us with ease.

We need to hold on to the ball and create chances not hope a defender fails to read a long ball after 100 attempts.

Our players play better for their club teams than for ireland and I include Coleman, Doherty and Stevens in that. We need to catch up and play modern football.

That isn't true necessarily.

If we go toe to toe with stronger players than us then we will get destroyed. 

I'd rather adopt a pragmatic approach and eliminate mistakes than try to play a styles that won't work unless we are playing inferior opposition.

orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Hamsik ability to hit corners with either peg very impressive. 

Shouldn't most professionals be able to take a corner with both feet?

This should be the norm.

Naturally most players will be stronger on one side than the other but they should be able to strike a dead ball effectively with both feet.

orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

there are encouraging signs with Kenny but we need to be able to build pressure on opponents. We didn’t on Thursday. All the games chances were at least 10 mins apart. Ireland could go 15-20 mins without a good chance. In football the teams that score regularly are the ones that produce chance flurries where the pressure overcomes the opposition. We should have won but we need to shoot more.

Ireland didn't create a shot on target for 70 minutes on Thursday.

This is a gruesome stat for a team that is being lauded for playing "progressive" football against mediocre opposition.

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

there are encouraging signs with Kenny but we need to be able to build pressure on opponents. We didn’t on Thursday. All the games chances were at least 10 mins apart. Ireland could go 15-20 mins without a good chance. In football the teams that score regularly are the ones that produce chance flurries where the pressure overcomes the opposition. We should have won but we need to shoot more.

Ireland didn't create a shot on target for 70 minutes on Thursday.

This is a gruesome stat for a team that is being lauded for playing "progressive" football against mediocre opposition.

It’s not good. I can’t remember a shot off target in the first 30 mins. Maybe there was one I’m forgetting. There was a good chance in the first half with a shot across goal that a Slovakian cut out that would have been a goal if it wasn’t. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:03pm
Interesting debate over "Winning Football" vs "Attractive Football".

I've not seen nearly enough of Kenny's games to tell whether he's on the right track or not, and even if I did, it's not my team, so not my business.

But as regards my own team, whilst I would obviously like at least one of the options on offer and ideally both, tbh I don't demand either.

That is because all I really want from my team is that all eleven players show the same commitment and enthusiasm as the supporters in the stands, whilst playing for a manager who is organised, knows what he wants and can motivate the players to go for it.

A team to be proud of, if you like.

Anything else, whether it be entertaining football and/or victory, is a bonus.

Edited by Territorial - 10 Oct 2020 at 7:03pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:19pm
Interesting perspective as always territorial. 

I'm not sure it is a case of winning vs attractive football. I think we can still win ugly and play with the ball on the floor. 

For me the last decade has seen ireland play some very predictable football to the point that the opposition know exactly what we are going to do in a game before a ball is kicked.

Couple that with the lack of any sort of plan B whatsoever... id be very interested if someone could correct me on that.

Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland all have limited resources as Republic of Ireland do and are leaving us behind in terms of progress.

For me, watching ireland play under Trap, O'Neil and Mccarthy has been painful to watch with very limited success. 

The Slovakia game as a result hurts a lot but I feel this could be the potential to something better in the long term.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:31pm
Nobody talking about the fact that Connolly and Idah didn't sit in their allocated seats for the flight? Wouldn't have been close to the positive test if they had. Absolute farce.  
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Nobody talking about the fact that Connolly and Idah didn't sit in their allocated seats for the flight? Wouldn't have been close to the positive test if they had. Absolute farce.  

Could have done with a few of the 757 seat nazis on the plane 😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm

Kenny seems to be pissed off with whoever the positive case that was in the same room as other positive case travelled that wasn’t essential. Assuming it is media person - no media travelled or what am I missing about reason for that person being there?

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:00pm

What about the pointless, Covid-ridden FAI employee? Surely he's the real issue? Given the venality of the FAI and Ireland at large, he was probably only there because he  was the nephew of someone or other.

And who decided these players were 10cm too near to one another or whatever the case was?

Who decided we should have our options limited and opportunity of progression damaged in this way?

Edited by NewtNewbie - 10 Oct 2020 at 9:05pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

What about the pointless, Covid-ridden FAI employee? Surely he's the real issue? Given the venality of the FAI and Ireland at large, he was probably only there because he  was the nephew of someone or other.

And who decided these players were 10cm too near to one another or whatever the case was?

Who decided we should have our options and opportunity of progression damaged in this way?

It seems the hse asked for video footage and the players moved seats and then when it was checked  how close those seats were to the positive case it was deemed to be 1.9m and 1.7m  
AKA pedantic kunt
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:45pm

Who decided we should have our options limited and opportunity of progression damaged in this way?

Kenny seems to be implying that an FAI "blazer" and not part of his background team was the Covid case. If it turns out this guy was barely even needed on the trip (or not needed at all), it's a disgrace.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Kenny seems to be implying that an FAI "blazer" and not part of his background team was the Covid case. If it turns out this guy was barely even needed on the trip (or not needed at all), it's a disgrace.

Absolutely. Connolly was one of our biggest goal threats, and Idah would have been a very useful option.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:38pm
As a matter of curiosity will there be a friendly in lieu of the final or will SK use it for more time on the training pitch ? 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:40pm
Story is changing again. Kenny now admits that the pair may have moved seats during the flight (says he was at the front and didn't see anything of what was happening behind him).
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

As a matter of curiosity will there be a friendly in lieu of the final or will SK use it for more time on the training pitch ? 

Yeah pretty sure UEFA will ensure it.

Kenny essentially has 5 games now to get across how he wants to set up for WC qualifying 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 136137138139>
  Share Topic