You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

This thread is head wrecking. Can the “Win ugly” crew not see that we weren’t winning matches at all for the past couple of years. The trends weren’t looking more positive, things were getting worse. Booting it long whilst not committing numbers to attack was a flawed system. You’re better off hoping to win the Euromillions even though you forgot to buy a ticket. At least Wimbledon/ Watford/ Big Jack etc played the system well and got loads of bodies forward to pick up breaking ball. 

By keeping possession for a few passes, we relieve pressure on our own defence and allow our players time to get up the pitch. This enhances our chances of scoring goals. Passing the ball in our own half or having players spread around the pitch can lead to problems when we lose the ball and we may concede goals.

However, relentlessly kicking the ball back to our opponents whilst being camped in around our own area is also likely to cost us goals. It’s also a gutless way to play and horrible to watch. 

Great post again MC! Thank you for your service.
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

This idea that it’s passing = losing and kick it long = qualification it doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny at the moment.  

There is also an assumption that passing football = good football.
For me it’s always about attacking football = good football.

I don’t really care about midfield passing, I don’t know who does. What I want to see is 

full backs attacking
balls behind the oppositions defence with our attackers being able to challenge for them
Players being setup to take shots that go on target
Dribbles with good close control
Improvised quick exchange passing in tight areas 

Lads going on about the number of passes, I don’t see the point. Passing around in your own half will give you good numbers but it’s boring to watch.

It’s about your threat level in and around the opposition’s box.

End product and taking your chances is vital sadly we are badly lacking in this department...reminded me a little of Paris 2009 when we were dominant and should have put the game to bed.
You can have all the nice passing and penetration but need to hit the net... I would have taken hoof ball and a 1-0 win.Cry

Some good performances Egan, Hendrick and McGoldrick was superb such an intelligent footballer.
Infuriating probably never get a better chance to play a cup final in Windsor.

Not sure how Kenny gets them up for tomorrow.

But the liklihood is it would have been hoofball and a draw or
A defeat.  

Listen I'm all for niceties from Brady, Giles etc picking up from the back four and spraying it about and our performance was good Thursday, but we lack a finisher at the moment and missed some real gilt edged opportunities....its infuriating as our efforts deserved better.

When I say 'hoofball' I would have accepted anything to win that game... and I've sat through some real sh*te in the last 12 years at Lansdowne particularly the Trap era.

And had we played "hoofball" and lost you and many others would be on here complaining that we lost and that we were terrible to watch! There are clear signs of improvement and we have to stick with Kenny and trust the process, he knows more than you and me. 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

This thread is head wrecking. Can the “Win ugly” crew not see that we weren’t winning matches at all for the past couple of years. The trends weren’t looking more positive, things were getting worse. Booting it long whilst not committing numbers to attack was a flawed system. You’re better off hoping to win the Euromillions even though you forgot to buy a ticket. At least Wimbledon/ Watford/ Big Jack etc played the system well and got loads of bodies forward to pick up breaking ball. 

By keeping possession for a few passes, we relieve pressure on our own defence and allow our players time to get up the pitch. This enhances our chances of scoring goals. Passing the ball in our own half or having players spread around the pitch can lead to problems when we lose the ball and we may concede goals.

However, relentlessly kicking the ball back to our opponents whilst being camped in around our own area is also likely to cost us goals. It’s also a gutless way to play and horrible to watch. 

ClapClap

some of the tactical views in this thread are prehistoric to say the least. 

I also loved "I don't go to the matches to be entertained" - so why do you go to the matches then LOL
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 12:28pm
exactly the way people are talking you would swear it’s October 1994 not 202O and we have just come off the back of our second consecutive World Cup using pragmatic low risk direct tactics and we were ripping up the blueprint in favour of a high risk tactic.  

We were going no where with our tactics and within 3 games we have got a similar result as previously and doing it with a style of play that is likely to improve.  
AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 12:38pm
It’s depressing that a section of our supporters want us to adopt a redundant style of football. Launching aimless balls forward in the hope of a lucky bounce or a mistake from a defender is the most pointless tactic I can think of. It’s so easy to defend against and surrenders possession of the ball constantly. I hope that the FAI ignore the social media warriors out in force since Thursday night.

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 10 Oct 2020 at 12:38pm
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 12:49pm
We haven't qualified for a world cup for 20 years, we need to change our approach. We've been going further into decline and direct long ball hasnt worked for a very long time.

We are not an attractive option for dual nationality players anymore. 

Kenny is the first step in the right direction. But this is going to be a long process 
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 12:52pm
I think the optimism could be more measured.

There is a big possibility Slovakia aren’t very good and without two 20 -30 million euro players as well as dubravka I think we were playing against poor opposition.

Saying Kenny isn’t up to it after three games is stupid. Saying we are definitely heading the right direction after three poor-average results is also stretching optimism.

A measured response is what is required but everything is black and white for the majority these days.

Ultimately Kenny is probably a decent manager, not great, not bad. I would be surprised if Keith Andrews is a great coach but maybe he is.

Football comes down to footballers. I think we’ll have a team that should go to the next euros. I don’t think we’ll have a team qualifying for the next World Cup as things stand.

Edited by Dots1982 - 10 Oct 2020 at 12:53pm
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 1:19pm

the implication in your post is that hoof ball is pragmatic and gets us wins and passing ends in defeats.  

We lack a finisher whether we play hoof ball or pass it from the back.  We are more likely to create better chances with passing football in my view.  Hoofball is likely to produce half chances that neee a Robbie to finish 

Well you obviously misread it football is a results business...what I suggested is I would have reluctantly sat through the hoofball sh*te hence wink for a victory and not this depressive feeling.

The crux here is McCarthy's complete negativity against Georgia(away) when a victory would have put us in the driving seat.
Shame really the FAI hadn't the balls to introduce Kenny from the start.

As a fellow Tallaght man I salute him...but I just hope we find a striker to go with his style of football and the D4 hacks give him time.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:00pm

the implication in your post is that hoof ball is pragmatic and gets us wins and passing ends in defeats.  

We lack a finisher whether we play hoof ball or pass it from the back.  We are more likely to create better chances with passing football in my view.  Hoofball is likely to produce half chances that neee a Robbie to finish 

Well you obviously misread it football is a results business...what I suggested is I would have reluctantly sat through the hoofball sh*te hence wink for a victory and not this depressive feeling.

The crux here is McCarthy's complete negativity against Georgia(away) when a victory would have put us in the driving seat.

As a fellow Tallaght man I salute him...but I just hope we find a striker to go with his style of football and the D4 hacks give him time.

Depressive feeling LOL once again OTT language being used on here to describe being disappointed after a football match.  

Let’s have a bit more respect for words and depressive feelings in relation to fans response to football results do not match.  

We are all disappointed with the way the penalties went.  Not much Kenny could have done about that other than made a sub just before the end to bring on a dedicated peno taker.  Not sure if there was one left on the bench.  Does Jack Byrne ever take penalties. 
AKA pedantic kunt
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:16pm
Hamsik ability to hit corners with either peg very impressive. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:17pm

Depressive feeling LOL once again OTT language being used on here to describe being disappointed after a football match.  

Let’s have a bit more respect for words and depressive feelings in relation to fans response to football results do not match.  

We are all disappointed with the way the penalties went.  Not much Kenny could have done about that other than made a sub just before the end to bring on a dedicated peno taker.  Not sure if there was one left on the bench.  Does Jack Byrne ever take penalties. 
Didn't he miss one in a shoot-out recently? I do think that bringing someone to take a penalty is a good idea. It must give the lad great belief in scoring that the manager brings him on for that reason.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:19pm
Hummmm very good debates on this thread i must say which comes down to modern football v hoof and hope as some would see . Sean Dyche has very good views on the subject kind of play to your strengths , there is room for more than one type of football and so on . 
If we would have won on Thursday everyone would be happy but not to be . 
It is all about results if you think different then you are a fool , managers will only be given so much time now how long is the length is a good question . 
 Stan wanted 4 years to turn  things around , lets face it if he was given 40 years he still would not have got it right . 
I think Kenny will be given the World Cup Quals to find results now if we find that we have 1 point after 5 games where we were " unlucky " he will be gone and with no money in the back the FAI will hire Roddy , hey he will be cheap Wink 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:27pm
Murph anyone who relies on the result of a peno shout out to realise if Kenny is doing the right thing or not is a clown.  

They talk about small margins but deciding your strategy and how you are going to approach the future on the basis of if you win a peno shootout or not is madness.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:47pm

If you knew anything about football you'd know it should never have came down to the lottery that is penalties.

What are you banging on about words? Who are you? Hemingway!! LOL 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:48pm

Murph anyone who relies on the result of a peno shout out to realise if Kenny is doing the right thing or not is a clown.  

They talk about small margins but deciding your strategy and how you are going to approach the future on the basis of if you win a peno shootout or not is madness.  

No Baldie you are missing the point , one goal in 3 games and we are unlucky 3 goals say in the next 7 games what would you call that ?

HOW MUCH TIME WILL YOU GIVE KENNY

Results Results Results 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

No Baldie you are missing the point , one goal in 3 games and we are unlucky 3 goals say in the next 7 games what would you call that ?

HOW MUCH TIME WILL YOU GIVE KENNY

Results Results Results 

I have answered that question a couple of times already.   To the end of the WC campaign.   That is obvious.  

How many goals did we have after jacks first 3 games and how many did we have after micks first 3 games. 

We had 3 after Jacks,  we had zero after Micks first 3 games. 3 after Stand and similar for Trap and O.Neill. 

So it’s a meaningless stat and does not show how successful a manager is going to be.  

You have made your mind up here regardless of what happens.   

Kenny will be judged at the end of the WC campaign and if we qualify or make the playoffs it will be a success. Simple at that.  If he comes 4th or 5th it will be a failure.   If he comes 3rd there will be arguments on both sides.   To be judging 3 games in to his reign is madness.  Your judgment is clouded by the fact you are pissed off that you are getting close to giving up the trips and this is another tournament we won’t be at.  As a result all objective analysis has gone out the window and your emotion has taken over. 

AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 3:15pm

[QUOTE=Baldrick]the implication in your post is that hoof ball is pragmatic and gets us wins and passing ends in defeats.  

If you knew anything about football you'd know it should never have came down to the lottery that is penalties.

[/QUOTE

No maybe let’s use the word depression and depressive feeling to actually depression and depressive feelings rather than being pissed off about a football result. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 3:22pm

[QUOTE=Baldrick]the implication in your post is that hoof ball is pragmatic and gets us wins and passing ends in defeats.  

[/QUOTE

No maybe let’s use the word depression and depressive feeling to actually depression and depressive feelings rather than being pissed off about a football result. 
Sorry Ernest I'm part of the group 'People against Profanity'.
 Enjoy your Saturday... Ciao!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139>
  Share Topic