You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 139>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 9:52pm

The FAI welcomes today’s announcement by UEFA allowing the return of fans, up to a maximum 30% of capacity, to all international and club games under UEFA’s jurisdiction. The ruling will begin with next week’s national team fixtures, and the FAI will now discuss today's developments with the Irish Government.

This UEFA decision could help facilitate the return of Ireland fans in significant numbers for upcoming home fixtures involving the senior men, senior women and Under-21 men’s teams. It could also allow for Dundalk fans to attend their home games in the group stages of the UEFA Europa League following tonight’s win over KI Klaksvik at the Aviva Stadium.

Under the UEFA ruling however, no visiting fans will be permitted to attend International or club fixtures, including next week’s UEFA EURO 2020 Play-Off Semi-Final away to Slovakia.

As of now, the ruling will also be superseded by Slovakian government guidelines forbidding spectators to attend the Play-Off Semi-Final in Bratislava.

Current COVID-19 guidelines will not allow any fans to attend the upcoming UEFA Nations League clash with Wales, at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday, October 11th, but this will be monitored on an ongoing basis in collaboration with the Government and Health Authorities.

The Finnish FA have informed the FAI that they expect to have home supporters present for the UEFA Nations League clash with Ireland in Helsinki on Wednesday, October 14th.

Interim FAI CEO Gary Owens told said: “The FAI welcomes today’s announcement and looks forward to welcoming Ireland fans back to UEFA fixtures in the very near future.

“This is a major step forward for football and a timely boost for the Association. We are currently working with our colleagues in the IRFU and the GAA on a joint proposal to Government to facilitate the return of fans to all our games.

“This news tonight is another step in the right direction and we will look forward to outlining it to Government and examining what it means for Irish football. 

“Any decision to allow fans back to UEFA fixtures featuring Irish international and club teams will of course be taken in conjunction with all Government agencies and with the safety of those supporters our prime concern.”

Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

f**k I wish we had a player half as good as
Paul Mcgrath or Ronnie Whelan

Isn't it funny how in an era with modern and better coaching, better pitches and non stop football on tv to emulate as youngsters footballers are worse than a generation or two ago.

Football is far less interesting and enjoyable than 30 yrs ago

No our footballers are worse as we had a golden generation during the 80s.  

France have a better team now than they did in the late 80s early 90s.  So do Portugal and Finland and a few others. 

Nah.  Football worldwide is of a lesser standard that 30 years ago. 

It's clearly just not, Ireland may not have as good a team, by by most other measures the game is miles ahead. Maradona was the superstar footballer in the mid-80's, but as incredible as he was his record doesn't come close to the greatest players of this generation, Messi and Ronaldo.

They are both much more disciplined players that look after themselves better but Maradona was playing in a completely different era. In terms of natural ability, he'd have thrived in today's game like Messi and Ronaldo as he'd have more of an awareness of the media/social media, advised better etc etc 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 9:59pm

Isn't it funny how in an era with modern and better coaching, better pitches and non stop football on tv to emulate as youngsters footballers are worse than a generation or two ago.

The technical level of players nowadays is absolutely light years ahead of what it was years ago, absolutely no question about it. 

Now in terms of modern defending, that leaves a lot to desired and I would agree that the standard and calibre of defender between nowadays and of yesterday are chalk and cheese.

Edited by Green Devil - 01 Oct 2020 at 10:00pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

France have a better team now than they did in the late 80s early 90s.  So do Portugal and Finland and a few others. 

It's clearly just not, Ireland may not have as good a team, by by most other measures the game is miles ahead. Maradona was the superstar footballer in the mid-80's, but as incredible as he was his record doesn't come close to the greatest players of this generation, Messi and Ronaldo.

They are both much more disciplined players that look after themselves better but Maradona was playing in a completely different era. In terms of natural ability, he'd have thrived in today's game like Messi and Ronaldo as he'd have more of an awareness of the media/social media, advised better etc etc 

Not to mention the hatchet men he faced week in/out, the lack of protection from refs and what constituted a yellow back then would be a 3 match ban now. 

hate the comparison tbh as it's fairly imcomparable.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:04pm
Cmon lads, the modern players today are athletes of the highest calibre. 

Gone are the days of Paul Merson, Tony Adams right down to George Best who played still drunk from the night before....
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:09pm
the champions league knockouts for the last 10 years have been as good as sports gets. 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:24pm
So, modern attackers are better than previously, despite the rule changes that greatly benefit them, because of the stats, but modern defenders are worse than previously; so the modern game must be better.

Can you see what might be wrong with this theorem?

Anyway, point is, you can't really fairly compare different eras in football.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Gone are the days of Paul Merson, Tony Adams right down to George Best who played still drunk from the night before....

Athletes maybe but not better.  Tony Adams would be a top defender today. 
Merson was decent but not great.  What about Cantona, Ginola, Rush, Aldridge, Barnes, Gazza, Robson, Irwin, Moran, Lineker, Hughes...

And look at the likes of defenders now. David Luiz.  A joke.  50 million a few years back.  Neymar.  Modern players are better conditioned but worse technically, mentally and physically as in toughness.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:38pm

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Athletes maybe but not better.  Tony Adams would be a top defender today. 
Merson was decent but not great.  What about Cantona, Ginola, Rush, Aldridge, Barnes, Gazza, Robson, Irwin, Moran, Lineker, Hughes...

And look at the likes of defenders now. David Luiz.  A joke.  50 million a few years back.  Neymar.  Modern players are better conditioned but worse technically, mentally and physically as in toughness.

That's bullsh*t.

David Luiz is far better technically than Adams ever was? Just he's not very good at defending.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:48pm
A simple glance at the technical ability of the elite modern keeper Ederson, Allison, Neuer, Ter Stegen etc and how comfort they are with the ball at their feet will highlight how far advanced they are from years gone by.

Clubs nowadays have countless players in their squad who are comfortable with the ball at the feet in the top divisions, this was most definitely not the case in the 80s/90s. 

Long ball was king back then, the fact that possession based football is king in the modern game will tell you why the modern player is far better technically. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:54pm
David Luiz is a joke of a player.   A defender who is bad at defending.  Says it all.  Might as well have a kettle that can't boil water.

Sure he can pass it better than Adams but I know who I'd rather have in my team.  Why don't you pick a player like Maldini to compare him to

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:56pm

David Luiz is a joke of a player.   A defender who is bad at defending.  Says it all.  Might as well have a kettle that can't boil water.

Sure he can pass it better than Adams but I know who I'd rather have in my team.  Why don't you pick a player like Maldini to compare him to

But that wasn't the argument, we were talking about their technical ability and it's fairly obvious he's better technically than Adams ever was?

I also highlighted a few posts up, that the calibre of the modern day defender is poor in comparison to yesteryear. 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Not to mention the hatchet men he faced week in/out, the lack of protection from refs and what constituted a yellow back then would be a 3 match ban now. 

hate the comparison tbh as it's fairly imcomparable.

You're right, it isn't comparable. Even when Maradona was playing in Argentina, he didn't get close to averaging a goal a game. By contrast, Ronaldo and Messi averaged more than a goal a game over the course of many years in what was, at the time, the best league in the world. 

From a purists point of view, perhaps football was more exciting and "off the cuff" 30 years ago; but I don't think people realise just how ruthlessly efficient top footballers today are. In an all round sense, they simply wipe the floor with what came before them.

Edited by The O'Shea - 01 Oct 2020 at 10:59pm
We're decent enough..
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:00pm
Harry Maguire for 80 million.

Imagine how much it would cost to land Franz Beckenbauer nowadays?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Players can't really help how much clubs pay for them, also the whole world knows that the money thrown about in transfer fees/wages is beyond ridiculous and shouldn't be used as the sole barometer when judging them on ability. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:05pm
Going back to an earlier point, modern players are weaker physically and mentally (not talkign about poser 6 packs and gym bods)

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:27pm

F**k all, considering he’s 75.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

F**k all, considering he’s 75.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 139>
  Share Topic