Poll Question: Yes or No
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [39.20%]
76 [60.80%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Firstly, where did I say I would have preferred your group?

That was what I inferred from your comparison.

But you can put me right, would you have preferred our group or yours?
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Firstly, where did I say I would have preferred your group?

That was what I inferred from your comparison.

But you can put me right, would you have preferred our group or yours?

I merely stated that I believed Denmark and Switzerland at this present are a lot closer to Germany and Holland than many would imagine (or even try to imagine) and our group was still a very difficult one which I said as much when we were drawn in it, at best we were only ever going to finish 3rd.

From a footballing perspective I would rather be drawn with Switzerland and Denmark but a fairly sizeable portion of our fan base half underestimated the threat posed by both and thought it was well within our reach to finish above either side (which was laughable)

The benefit of being thrown in with Holland and Germany, was that the games would of been half seen as free hits and expectations far lower.

I used to detest seeing Northern Ireland do well "but" since Michael O'Neill took over I'll admittedly say that he's one of my idols (from a managerial/coaching point of view and study him closely) he has done a fantastic job and actually wouldn't begrudge your lot doing well but not at our expense of course Wink
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:44pm
Definitely one of my idols too, albeit from a drinking point of view.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Definitely one of my idols too, albeit from a drinking point of view.

LOLLOLLOL

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Pubes View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 8:10pm
Northern Eire maybe.. 

I think the likely playoff teams will be Iceland, Serbia and Georgia (at home twice) and then any of our path could qualify.
I just dont see us losing in normal time against Slovakia.  Just watched highlights of their group games- defence is caught open and stretched and dont have a big man presence in CB..  could be a weak point to get duffy, mcgoldrick etc up challenging in the air for a 1 nil win!
Hope the final is in the north, think we have better chance beating them than away to Bosnia and Dzeko 
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:44pm
Considering the group the team will be landed in, even if qualification occurs, I'm not entirely sure I'd like to see the team qualify anyway. That's not to mention that the team is currently at a pretty low ebb and unlikely to add anything in terms of football to the finals. I'd fear a hockeying of Euro 2012 levels. 

The Irish fans themselves bring good cheer to tournaments, and if it were only about that, the team qualifying wouldn't be a bad thing at all. One bit of caution even here is that in the age of viral videos and social media, I feel like it could get to a stage where it becomes a bit try-hard, and certain fans concoct a stunt that ends up going totally wrong. So, even there I'd say to have your fun, but let any events come from being genuinely fun-loving, and not from feeling like you have to be the life and soul of the party or that you need to make some Youtube hit. 

But back to the football - there's a problem with Ireland qualifying in that even if they play pretty badly throughout qualifying but squeak through, all concerns over the football are met with a chorus of "OLÉÉÉÉÉ, OLÉ, OLÉ, OLÉÉÉÉÉÉÉ!". It's like qualifying completely papers over the cracks temporarily, but it really is only a temporary thing, for when reality sets in, we become even more pessimistic than before. So we go from a period of saying nothing should be done about the football, right into nothing can be done about the football. We seem to be happier with short term gains than harder long-term building. It may eventually take a longer period of real wilderness, i.e. not even getting a sniff of qualification for Irish football to completely rebuild itself and usher in a new generation of players who can really compete. Until that happens, I worry we might just settle into a pattern of hoping for the odd qualification and a knees-up. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:51pm
Just goes to show what a joke of a tournament the Euros has become if Scotland qualify.  They have been absolute muck and yet could still be there.  We dont deserve to be there and they certainly dont.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 9:58pm
V
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Just goes to show what a joke of a tournament the Euros has become if Scotland qualify.  They have been absolute muck and yet could still be there.  We dont deserve to be there and they certainly dont.
They won their NL group. Now, I think the connection between the two competitions is ridiculous, but that’s more of a reason than we have. They even won more games in their group, even if they got hockeyed by the good teams.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 10:29pm

V

They won their NL group. Now, I think the connection between the two competitions is ridiculous, but that’s more of a reason than we have. They even won more games in their group, even if they got hockeyed by the good teams.

There's been a lot of muck flung at the team and manager in the past few days on this forum, and this is up there with the most outrageous.

Scotland were in a 6-team group that had a 6th seed in it (San Marino), whereas Ireland were in a 5-team group which had no sixth seed.

Scotland played two more games than us, (against the sixth seed), which is why they won more games than us (five versus three).

They lost away to the fifth seed - Kazakhstan - who were in the same pot as Gibraltar, two places above (the former were seeded 47th, the latter 49th).

Edited by rolo - 22 Nov 2019 at 10:32pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 10:34pm
Worry about Slovakia first, wouldn't even think about the final yet. That all that matters for now. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

V

There's been a lot of muck flung at the team and manager in the past few days on this forum, and this is up there with the most outrageous.

Scotland were in a 6-team group that had a 6th seed in it (San Marino), whereas Ireland were in a 5-team group which had no sixth seed.

Scotland played two more games than us, (against the sixth seed), which is why they won more games than us (five versus three).

They lost away to the fifth seed - Kazakhstan - who were in the same pot as Gibraltar, two places above (the former were seeded 47th, the latter 49th).

They are sh*te, unquestionably, but we are f**king atrocious! They deserve a play-off, based on at least winning their group, albeit a lower level. We deserve nothing.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 11:37pm
Who gives a fook if we deserve nothing. We're still in the mix for qualification albeit just about. 

We deserved nothing in the miracle victories against the Dutch in 01 and the Germans a few years back but I'll take that.

Scotland won their NL group and were guaranteed a playoff place. They definitely have a lot more merit to be involved at this stage than us even if they were in a lower league. 

I prefer the old system. It takes the edge out of it when we knew that we could still qualify via the NL and last Monday night should've been the decider. Still looking forward to Slovakia next March. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 12:03am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Who gives a fook if we deserve nothing. We're still in the mix for qualification albeit just about. 

We deserved nothing in the miracle victories against the Dutch in 01 and the Germans a few years back but I'll take that.

Scotland won their NL group and were guaranteed a playoff place. They definitely have a lot more merit to be involved at this stage than us even if they were in a lower league. 

I prefer the old system. It takes the edge out of it when we knew that we could still qualify via the NL and last Monday night should've been the decider. Still looking forward to Slovakia next March. 
You obviously don’t, that’s fine, but I do. It’s embarrassing we still have a chance really. Beat Georgia at home and we get playoff. We qualified for a play-off before either tournament began.
It’s very hard to give a f**k about the match in Bosnia, I might feel different at the time, but now I am just disappointed that international football is being destroyed.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 12:18am
Do Northern Ireland deserve to be in a play-off? Nope. 

We got two points in the nations league, they got zero.

But you’ll still get some on here saying they’re a great side and deserve to be there on merit. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Do Northern Ireland deserve to be in a play-off? Nope. 

We got two points in the nations league, they got zero.

But you’ll still get some on here saying they’re a great side and deserve to be there on merit. 

I won’t. The whole thing is a farce. 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 1:10am
being destroyed is an odd angle

if anything its being improved

less pointless friendlies, more competitive matches and against teams in and around your own standard too. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

less pointless friendlies, more competitive matches and against teams in and around your own standard too. 
It depends on your definition of competitive! Ireland will have played 12 competitive matches, and we all know the record, to get down to the last 36 teams in Europe. Nobody is disputing that friendlies need to be a thing of the past, but the NL should have no impact on qualifying. Leave it separate, with finals in each division and return to a proper Euros where every qualification match, even the dead rubbers, felt in some way important.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

That's the bit I hate.  We will be playing the same teams all the bloody time.  It also devalues the qualifiers themselves. I am not sure but having a safety net of the playoff from the NL must have an effect subconsciously.  I bet Mick McCarthy wasn't too disappointed to end up in the playoffs.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic