1 [4.76%]
7 [33.33%]
13 [61.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you do with VAR
    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 9:09pm
Would you go back to how football used to be?

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 27 Oct 2019 at 9:09pm
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 9:11pm
Keep it but get the ref access to the telly himself like in MLS as well as having someone else looking at it.  Also he should be miked up to the stadium PA so he can explain his decision like NFL.

I think its good and entertaining but its being given a bad reputation by the idiots making the decisions.  Its all human error.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 10:13pm
Keep it but -

It would be good to hear the conversations/ decision by the TMOs
Only very obvious errors - a big toe offside is fine 
One replay in real time should clear most issues - if you have to watch it 3+ times then it’s not obvious 
Needs to be quicker

But in general the rules of football / VAR need to be made very clear and take away the grey area as much as possible.
Defenders running with their arms behind their backs is unnatural.

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 10:24pm
Bin it until there's a time when almost all referees are of a competent standard. Otherwise the system, no matter how good it could be is useless. If you have one cabbage making decisions on the pitch, and another cabbage making decisions in a VAR box, what is the actual point of the technology?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Bin it until there's a time when almost all referees are of a competent standard. Otherwise the system, no matter how good it could be is useless. If you have one cabbage making decisions on the pitch, and another cabbage making decisions in a VAR box, what is the actual point of the technology?
To make coleslaw?
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Go back to what exactly?

The maximum wage?
Black and White tv?
42 games per season?
Games on Christmas Day?
2 games in 24 hours?
2 games at Easter?
Teams numbered 1-11 only?
11 "home nations" players per team?
1 substitute allowed per game?
1 live game per month on ITV? At 3.30pm on a Sunday?
1 live game per week on Sports Stadium at 3pm on a Saturday? After every other sport has been covered after the show starts at 12 30pm?
The back pass to the keeper allowed?
Getting pised on/frost bite standing on the uncovered, pis-stench, fenced up terraces, drinking Bovril instead of Red Bull? How football  "used to be". 

Back to reality. No is the short answer. The long answer is, asking us to go back to pre-VAR football, is like asking us to go back to any of the above. VAR never promised flawless refereeing, it told us that more of the big decisions would be correct. Approx 30 decisions have been made by VAR so far in the EPL, 30 more correct decisions that we couldn't have in years gone by. Platini is out, Technology is in, its here to stay and it's not going away. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 11:29pm
30?
There're been about 30 wrong ones this weekend alone ffs, no matter what your blathering on about black and white TVs for there 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 9:14am
Cracking rant from Planners LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 9:24am
I’d like to see it more similar to rugby where the ref and the VAR/TMO have the mic and it’s being shown on the big screen.
When you see and hear the two converse about what they are seeing with the incident then I think you are a lot more willing to accept their point of view. Let’s be honest, we are greatly influenced by what we are told. For example, I didn’t think there was much in that Mane incident initially and thought it would be overruled, but then the commentators were so adamant it was a penalty that I just accepted it that i was wrong initially 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 9:27am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I’d like to see it more similar to rugby where the ref and the VAR/TMO have the mic and it’s being shown on the big screen.
When you see and hear the two converse about what they are seeing with the incident then I think you are a lot more willing to accept their point of view. Let’s be honest, we are greatly influenced by what we are told. For example, I didn’t think there was much in that Mane incident initially and thought it would be overruled, but then the commentators were so adamant it was a penalty that I just accepted it that i was wrong initially 

Give me all your money.  It's the right thing to do.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 9:48am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Go back to what exactly?

The maximum wage?
Games on Christmas Day?
2 games at Easter?
Teams numbered 1-11 only?
1 live game per month on ITV? At 3.30pm on a Sunday?
1 live game per week on Sports Stadium at 3pm on a Saturday? 

I would like all these to come back!!

Games on Xmas day would be great. 

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 10:18am

Exactly. It's one thing the rugby have spot on. VAR is also working far better in other leagues. The Premier League have just, made an unholy balls of it. And link the strands up rather than having the absolute farce of the dubious goals commitee overruling after the, fact like with the Silva goal, that added another level of incompetence to it. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 28 Oct 2019 at 10:19am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Sorry, I’m still waiting on the wallet inspector to return my cash and cards
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 10:21am

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Sorry, I’m still waiting on the wallet inspector to return my cash and cards

LOL

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Cracking rant from Planners LOL
First time I agree with him and he is taking the piss!
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 12:08pm
keep it as is but I would force the refs to go over to the TV monitor and have stuff shown on the big screens. 

I'm fine with offside as it is, there has to be a cut off point, any leeway is bollocks
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 12:24pm
 I don't understand why people think that having the ref look at a pitch side monitor would do much to help the situation in the PL. If both the referee and the VAR are of an appalling standard, which they generally are, most decisions they made are just guesswork. Tv monitor pitch side or not.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 12:27pm
Works well in MLS from what I have seen of it.  Plus the referee is of a higher standard that the goons in the monitor room.  He couldn't be any worse anyway!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic