You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irl v Den 18 Nov thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 646566
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by greenscene greenscene wrote:

It kind of got overlooked in this group, but the key matches IMO were two matches we weren't in. The swiss f**ked away a 3 goal lead against Denmark. They also should have quite easily beaten them in Copenhagen. Switzerland are very much the stand out team of this group, with ourselves and Denmark very much a few steps below quality wise. 

This is how I feel about it. How the Danes won at home is a mystery and to come back from 3 goals down away was a once in 30 year type result if not longer. Those two results were pivotal in the group and eventually was enough for the Danes to progress. 4 undeserved points.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:59pm
People need to get over the fact that we don't have a Robbie Keane type of striker. With the service our players provide, he'd barely touch the ball.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:10pm
If McClean put that chance away he had 1:1 with the keeper in Denmark at the 90th minute things would look different too. We certainly had our chances. 
Edinho View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 5:25am
hi guys. A Dane here. Stopped by to see what the opposition fans have to say about the Danish performance in the group. I agree with a lot that is being said, especially that DK did not deserve 3 points against Switzerland in Copenhagen. While we’ve certainly had some luck I must also remind you that in the Den-Irl game in Cph you guys were very lucky to get one point. Just as lucky as we were against the Swiss. The way that game was played you would have lost 8 out of 10 games against us. There are many “what ifs”. Fact is Åge Hareide hasn’t lost 33 games in a row with this team. All of it cant come down to luck. 
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Congrats all the negative lads. Yas got want u wanted. We deserved to win tonight. Better team. Bad luck.

One of the most idotic posts I have ever seen on here and that takes some doing.

What a gobsh*te

Felt like there was a lot of negativity about the team and some people just wanted to justified to support their McCarthy hatred. 

In hindsight it was a silly post. Emotions and alcohol got the better of me, still thought we deserved to win and I was very disappointed. Was no need for it though 
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Edinho Edinho wrote:

hi guys. A Dane here. Stopped by to see what the opposition fans have to say about the Danish performance in the group. I agree with a lot that is being said, especially that DK did not deserve 3 points against Switzerland in Copenhagen. While we’ve certainly had some luck I must also remind you that in the Den-Irl game in Cph you guys were very lucky to get one point. Just as lucky as we were against the Swiss. The way that game was played you would have lost 8 out of 10 games against us. There are many “what ifs”. Fact is Åge Hareide hasn’t lost 33 games in a row with this team. All of it cant come down to luck. 

Hi there. The two best teams definitely went through. You are right about us being lucky to draw in Copenhagen. I think Denmark have slightly gone backwards since the world cup qualifiers. Do you agree?
Are you happy enough Hareide is leaving after the euros? He's a bit like one of our recent Irish managers, he's very pragmatic and seems to like his teams to do just enough, like last monday when Denmark seemed to go along with the slightly dangerous game of playing for the draw.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 11:51pm

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Congrats all the negative lads. Yas got want u wanted. We deserved to win tonight. Better team. Bad luck.

One of the most idotic posts I have ever seen on here and that takes some doing.

What a gobsh*te

Felt like there was a lot of negativity about the team and some people just wanted to justified to support their McCarthy hatred. 

In hindsight it was a silly post. Emotions and alcohol got the better of me, still thought we deserved to win and I was very disappointed. Was no need for it though 

Fair play Deane, tis unusual these days to see someone actually admitting they were wrong about anything on here. Most take the approach of digging in further, no matter how idiotic the opinion is/was. 

There's nobody celebrating the fact we didn't beat the Danes and not qualify, but there are plenty on here with big doubts over McCarthy and/or the team (I'm including meself in that) and I think results and performances in this campaign have proved those doubts justified. We're now off to playoffs and going to try do the same thing V Slovakia, even though it hasn't worked so far in games we've needed to win. 

We played ok the other night, but that comes with a few caveats; Denmark were poor for one, they also knew they only had to draw, they also knew scoring once would 90% certain get them that draw. Even with our limited talent, I've serious doubts as to whether McCarthy is playing the right system, or the system that best suits our available players, and even if people think he is, the approach is still strictly negative. 

We will probably see that issue demonstrated by the single decision to reinstate Coleman for the playoff game, even though Doherty is both in better form and offers more in attack (I'd be more inclined to blame Duffy keeping Braithwaite onside for the conceded goal the other night than Doherty, but Mick won't see it like that)

For all of the above, Schmeichel saved a tame shot from Hourihane, and had to do a full length dive from Browne which he had covered anyway (pulled his hand back when he realised it was going wide). That was the extent of what he had to do during the game. And yes I know Randolph had even less to do, but we were the ones who had to win, not them. There's a fundamental issue with us creating chances, it's not as if we're missing them, and yet the manager either refuses to acknowledge this, or more likely, he's fully aware of it, but continues to instead trust in the set piece, the deflection, the back post header late on and concentrates more on not conceding. 

That might be enough to take care of Slovakia, it might not be, but either way it isn't exactly a masterplan, and its odds against that approach can work twice in the space of a few days. Once again we're back to ''the Slovaks are no great shakes''. Which of course, is correct, they aren't, neither is any team in the playoffs, but we're even worse than all the rest of them when it comes to creating chances. 

In a broader picture, even if we do qualify, I think it's got Poland 2012 written all over it, as Mick will be mainly 'loyal' to the players who got him that far, even though it's clear some of them probably shouldn't be in the first team any more. Digs the FAI out of a financial hole though, which is probably all that was in JD's head when he made the appointment in the first place. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:41pm

Guzzling the devils buttermilk gets the better of most people, but I don't think anyone hates McCarthy, he's been a great servant as player and captain, but there are plenty of us who don't think he should be in charge, and his results show that. The fact that he was only put in charge for this campaign, showed that even the FAI didn't trust him. 

Nothing has really changed about his methods since he was last in charge. We're essentially playing the same style of football, it was difficult enough to be effective when we had decent players. Now that we don't, his methods don't work. 

The performance against Denmark was as everyone expected. Keep it tight, then launch a few Hail Mary's into the box in the last 15 minutes and hope it works. It failed. He couldn't beat Denmark or Switzerland home or away, now he has to win 2 games against similiar opposition in a few days to make the Euros, and there's no evidence to suggest he's good enough to do it. That isn't hatred, that's how it is at this time.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Guzzling the devils buttermilk gets the better of most people, but I don't think anyone hates McCarthy, he's been a great servant as player and captain, but there are plenty of us who don't think he should be in charge, and his results show that. The fact that he was only put in charge for this campaign, showed that even the FAI didn't trust him. 

Nothing has really changed about his methods since he was last in charge. We're essentially playing the same style of football, it was difficult enough to be effective when we had decent players. Now that we don't, his methods don't work. 

The performance against Denmark was as everyone expected. Keep it tight, then launch a few Hail Mary's into the box in the last 15 minutes and hope it works. It failed. He couldn't beat Denmark or Switzerland home or away, now he has to win 2 games against similiar opposition in a few days to make the Euros, and there's no evidence to suggest he's good enough to do it. That isn't hatred, that's how it is at this time.

None of the teams in playoffs are similar opposition.  A lot weaker if you ask me
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:59pm
I think he means similar opposition to us, not Switzerland and Denmark.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 646566
  Share Topic