3 [4.55%]
12 [18.18%]
11 [16.67%]
25 [37.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullivinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Sullivinho Sullivinho wrote:

1-1

But only if Duffy is employed up front, with Connolly playing off him.

Yes, I meant to type 'Duffy'. I am seeking to replicate the Niall Quinn Ibaraki effect, but would settle for the Gary Doherty process.

They could become known as 'The Brighton Bombers'

LOL Clap
Pure Hat!
Sponsored Links

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:15pm
lose 2-0
InspectorShaboink View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InspectorShaboink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:22pm
0-0 

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 11:33pm
0-1 

f**k it - this is the time when we might pull it out of the bag. No one expecting anything except pure misery and suffering. 

A backs to the walls defending game - Attack v Defence for 90 mins and the crowd getting ever more frustrated. 

3.5K Irish packed in to a tiny sh*te ground lifting the roof with the fields of Athenry, knowing full well that we will be picked off any minute and our chances of a tournament go down the swanny. 

We win a few free kicks and threaten their goal with our set pieces. 

They start committing men and look like they could be vulnerable to the counter. We hoof a ball up, Connolly races clear and smashes one in. We go mental, knock the swiss out in their backyard and party long in to the night. I miss my train and my flight but who gives a f**k. 

We are going to the Euros 

#ybig

We need to believe when everyone else doesn't 

Edited by kearney304 - 13 Oct 2019 at 11:33pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 11:46pm
Remember that the swiss could have had the Danes out of sight on another night. Schmeichel made some outstanding saves to even keep them in it. If and its not a certainty we start Connolly at least we may cause a bit of trouble to their backline. A bit of freshness and pace and just something. Something is all weve got
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:57am
we're hosed 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:11am
Kasper Schmeichel predicts a Switzerland win
“Ireland are so bad” he says
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:27am
Ten mins to go and teams are level.  Does Mick go for it. 

He should in my view but it depends on how much you value the Danes having already qualified in the last game and thinking we are a rubbish team.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Was Peter.  "EIRE are sh*t"
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:44am

He’s not lying.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:02am

Think he's trying to give us something to pin up on our dressing room wall - if we get any sort of result, the Danes are sorted.

Otherwise its baffling because i've never seen such an ordinary side go on like this
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:42am
Trying to predict Tuesday's outcome is the usual conundrum.   

I think the  best we can hope for is a dour game in which we frustrate them and that we somehow snatch a late winner or equaliser.                               
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:53am
So last week it was a comfortable win been predicted against Georgia, now we are gonne get trounced by Switzerland. 

We probably have one of the best defences in Europe, we just have nothing else up the field. 

1-0 loss. 

I think we will do ok in this game by our very low standards  and it will give us a bit of hope going into the Denmark game Heart
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

He’s not lying.

This is what irish football is now. A legacy left by Delaney, Trappatoni and o'Neill.

It's actually embarrassing and cant be defended by irish supporters.its been 15 years like this.

Complete overhaul should be a priority, players, manager, style of play, youth setup. 

I think the overhaul should be a priority over qualification and I appreciate that will be an unpopular position with some but enough is enough.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 12:10pm
He may not be wrong, but 4/5 games in the last two years have ended in a draw, and the 1-5 was an aberration, which could and should have been stopped.

Denmark have always struggled to beat us and it seems to really rankle with them and their fans. Funny enough, I can understand, given that we have hardly troubled their goal over 5 games.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

He’s not lying.

This is what irish football is now. A legacy left by Delaney, Trappatoni and o'Neill.

It's actually embarrassing and cant be defended by irish supporters.its been 15 years like this.

Complete overhaul should be a priority, players, manager, style of play, youth setup. 

I think the overhaul should be a priority over qualification and I appreciate that will be an unpopular position with some but enough is enough.

Our players will be undergoing an overhaul soon enough if our youngsters start making the breakthrough. The manager is being changed after this campaign, to one who has a radically different style of play. The youth setup has been overhauled, and we are starting to see the fruits of that overhaul. Furthermore, the League of Ireland has been a proving ground for so many talented youngsters, with quite a few like Scales, Mandroiu, Leahy, Farrugia, Elbouzedi in the 21s and Talbot and Byrne in the seniors over the past year whilst still being in Ireland.

I never get why its a choice between 'the overhaul' or qualification. The idea is that the players who start should be good enough to get us qualification. We get these players for sporadic bursts throughout the year - their development is unlikely to be made by what they do with Ireland at this stage. No point in playing lads that'd mean we're certs to not qualify just for the sake of blooding the youth.

We've had a bad result on Saturday but it by no means signifies that the national set-up is a disaster at this stage.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 14 Oct 2019 at 12:29pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

He’s not lying.

Our players will be undergoing an overhaul soon enough if our youngsters start making the breakthrough. The manager is being changed after this campaign, to one who has a radically different style of play. The youth setup has been overhauled, and we are starting to see the fruits of that overhaul. Furthermore, the League of Ireland has been a proving ground for so many talented youngsters, with quite a few like Scales, Mandroiu, Leahy, Farrugia, Elbouzedi in the 21s and Talbot and Byrne in the seniors over the past year whilst still being in Ireland.

I never get why its a choice between 'the overhaul' or qualification. The idea is that the players who start should be good enough to get us qualification. We get these players for sporadic bursts throughout the year - their development is unlikely to be made by what they do with Ireland at this stage. No point in playing lads that'd mean we're certs to not qualify just for the sake of blooding the youth.

We've had a bad result on Saturday but it by no means signifies that the national set-up is a disaster at this stage.
They aren't good enough to get us qualified though. It shouldn't be a choice of either or but yet we're somehow making of a choice of neither. What there is no point of, is playing lads that mean we're certs not to qualify when they are 28+ years old. Why are we giving debuts to 28 years olds who have never done anything in their career and are actually being outperformed at club level by younger players? 

Aiden O'Brien hasn't a decent scoring rate at any level and is downright atrocious in the Championship. He isn't getting us qualified so why has he any caps and still being called into prelim squads? What was the point of debuting Shaun Williams at 31? Why are we wasting a cap on Hourihane at LB and constantly giving interviews professing the love for Stephen Ward when Ryan Manning is already playing to a higher standard at club level for a poor team? With the added bonus of being 11 years younger and not having stunk the place up for years. 

Is Mr. 1 in 10 McGoldrick going to get us qualified? The striker who has about 2 respectable scoring seasons in his entire career. Daryl Horgan has never done anything outside the LoI. A geriatric Whelan manages to cover even less ground than he did in his prime. 

So who of these are certs to get us qualified? Because this route of only going for qualification certs has seen us not qualify for a World Cup for 17 years with no chance of changing. Even for 2016 we were dragged there by Keane, McGeady, Hoolahan, Walters, Long, Brady, O'Shea. None of which are in the squad anymore and have been replaced by 28 year old debutants who've never performed at even a half decent level. At least those guys had quality at an old age. You can't say that about Alan Judge. So what exactly is this method achieving? Other than playing dog sh*t footballers with a bunch of 30 year olds who will never do anything other than play sh*te football. 

Performances for Ireland could be huge for their development as well. The fact is these young players are at clubs that would play us off the park every day. Why should a player be expected to break into a PL side when we're nowhere even close to being PL level? The likes of Wales, NI, and other countries have given debuts to youth players with no senior club experience and included many in senior camps. A good performance at senior international level would be a huge boost for any of those players at club level. 

The set-up has been a disaster for years and continues to be at the senior level. Until a new style and approach is brought, which hopefully Kenny will do, the team will continue to be a bunch of cloggers playing dogsh*t football and getting played of the park by the likes of Georgia. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 1:31pm

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it should be qualification OR the overhaul either, they are not mutually exclusive. A priority is a hierarchical framework and at the moment qualifying is the priority over an overhaul. Mick just needs to qualify.

I disagree that this is a reaction to Saturday. This is for the past 15 years.

Yes, it looks like progress has been made but it's very hard to see this being implemented if change is not currently the priority
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic