3 [4.55%]
12 [18.18%]
11 [16.67%]
25 [37.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Kasper Schmeichel predicts a Switzerland win
“Ireland are so bad” he says
Was Peter.  "EIRE are sh*t"

He’s not lying.

This is what irish football is now. A legacy left by Delaney, Trappatoni and o'Neill.

It's actually embarrassing and cant be defended by irish supporters.its been 15 years like this.

Complete overhaul should be a priority, players, manager, style of play, youth setup. 

I think the overhaul should be a priority over qualification and I appreciate that will be an unpopular position with some but enough is enough.

Our players will be undergoing an overhaul soon enough if our youngsters start making the breakthrough. The manager is being changed after this campaign, to one who has a radically different style of play. The youth setup has been overhauled, and we are starting to see the fruits of that overhaul. Furthermore, the League of Ireland has been a proving ground for so many talented youngsters, with quite a few like Scales, Mandroiu, Leahy, Farrugia, Elbouzedi in the 21s and Talbot and Byrne in the seniors over the past year whilst still being in Ireland.

I never get why its a choice between 'the overhaul' or qualification. The idea is that the players who start should be good enough to get us qualification. We get these players for sporadic bursts throughout the year - their development is unlikely to be made by what they do with Ireland at this stage. No point in playing lads that'd mean we're certs to not qualify just for the sake of blooding the youth.

We've had a bad result on Saturday but it by no means signifies that the national set-up is a disaster at this stage.
They aren't good enough to get us qualified though. It shouldn't be a choice of either or but yet we're somehow making of a choice of neither. What there is no point of, is playing lads that mean we're certs not to qualify when they are 28+ years old. Why are we giving debuts to 28 years olds who have never done anything in their career and are actually being outperformed at club level by younger players? 

Aiden O'Brien hasn't a decent scoring rate at any level and is downright atrocious in the Championship. He isn't getting us qualified so why has he any caps and still being called into prelim squads? What was the point of debuting Shaun Williams at 31? Why are we wasting a cap on Hourihane at LB and constantly giving interviews professing the love for Stephen Ward when Ryan Manning is already playing to a higher standard at club level for a poor team? With the added bonus of being 11 years younger and not having stunk the place up for years. 

Is Mr. 1 in 10 McGoldrick going to get us qualified? The striker who has about 2 respectable scoring seasons in his entire career. Daryl Horgan has never done anything outside the LoI. A geriatric Whelan manages to cover even less ground than he did in his prime. 

So who of these are certs to get us qualified? Because this route of only going for qualification certs has seen us not qualify for a World Cup for 17 years with no chance of changing. Even for 2016 we were dragged there by Keane, McGeady, Hoolahan, Walters, Long, Brady, O'Shea. None of which are in the squad anymore and have been replaced by 28 year old debutants who've never performed at even a half decent level. At least those guys had quality at an old age. You can't say that about Alan Judge. So what exactly is this method achieving? Other than playing dog sh*t footballers with a bunch of 30 year olds who will never do anything other than play sh*te football. 

Performances for Ireland could be huge for their development as well. The fact is these young players are at clubs that would play us off the park every day. Why should a player be expected to break into a PL side when we're nowhere even close to being PL level? The likes of Wales, NI, and other countries have given debuts to youth players with no senior club experience and included many in senior camps. A good performance at senior international level would be a huge boost for any of those players at club level. 

The set-up has been a disaster for years and continues to be at the senior level. Until a new style and approach is brought, which hopefully Kenny will do, the team will continue to be a bunch of cloggers playing dogsh*t football and getting played of the park by the likes of Georgia. 

brilliant post
Sponsored Links

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 3:46pm
Now the Danes old hasbeen fathers are publicly stating how crap we are. You couldn't make these lads up.

We know we're terrible. The players know.The manager knows. The supporters know. Any unlucky person in europe who decided to tune into the only early  qualifier last saturday knows it.Yet they have to keep telling us over and over. Maybe their grannies will be telling us next month.

Switzerland 3-0.

cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 3:59pm
The Swiss are nervous as well. Their newspapers are talking about what happens if they lose to Ireland and what permutations/playoffs would look like.

IF we start well, and quieten them down, who knows? Formbook says Swiss, but look, they don't finish well - blew a 3-0 lead at home vs Denmark, let us back in here in Dublin and weren't able to take their chances outplaying the Danes on Saturday.

That's got to be a sign of some calibre of weakness. We're solid defensively, and can only play better going forward, especially if there's a few changes.

Creidimid! Oíche cháiliúil amháin ag teacht!

Touts Out!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 4:07pm
I'd be less pessimistic if we showed some good moments in the games we've played but we've been brutal from start to finish in the Georgia game, both the Gibraltar games etc 

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:06pm
Draw written all over it, were going park the bus and hope for a point and a rocking lansdowne against the Danes!! 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:23pm
3-0
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:56pm
Am I right in saying the only positive from a draw tomorrow is that Denmark will be coming to Aviva already qualified?
Farrelk View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Am I right in saying the only positive from a draw tomorrow is that Denmark will be coming to Aviva already qualified?

Yep

Edited by Farrelk - 14 Oct 2019 at 6:18pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

This is what irish football is now. A legacy left by Delaney, Trappatoni and o'Neill.

It's actually embarrassing and cant be defended by irish supporters.its been 15 years like this.

Complete overhaul should be a priority, players, manager, style of play, youth setup. 

I think the overhaul should be a priority over qualification and I appreciate that will be an unpopular position with some but enough is enough.

I don't know how long I've been saying it for.

I would rather see us move away from focusing on results in a campaign and focus on the performance more so and oversee a radical overhaul of the whole set up than try pox our way to the Euros where we will likely be cannon fodder anyway.

The cycle then continues and we end up stagnating with the same old plodders and being lambasted throughout Europe for our 1980s brand of football.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:37pm
I don't think we'll be trashed because of the way we set up, we rarely ever are. I can foresee another atrocious nil all or 1 nil win to Switzerland.
We're decent enough..
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:41pm
Switzerland 2-0 Ireland 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:48pm

Not a hope the Danes would take it anyway easy

Edited by Denis Irwin - 14 Oct 2019 at 6:48pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Not a hope the Danes would take it anyway easy

Ah noOuch

Would they not let us win because we are sound? No?Ouch
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:59pm

Assuming they beat Gibraltar at home, yes. It would mean that Switzerland cannot finish above them as Denmark are ahead on their head-to-head results.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:27pm

Denmark will still come to Ireland and try give us a hammering. Thinking they will take it easy on us in unrealistic.
The only way is up
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:33pm
 🇨🇭 1 -  🇮🇪 2

McClean 
Egan 

savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:02pm
🇨🇭 0-9 🇮🇪 
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Denmark will still come to Ireland and try give us a hammering. Thinking they will take it easy on us in unrealistic.

I dont think they will take it easy, but do I think all the players would give the exact same commitment to everything they do that night if they were already qualified? I dont think they do. Might still be that its still too much for us, but any advantage is welcomed. 

Anyway, most likely it will be a do-or-die game both of us as cant see us getting a result against the swiss
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic