You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Switzerland V Ireland match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauln90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:42am
Switzerland 2-0 Republic of Ireland | The Final Word

https://youtu.be/T_ZJkQTlogY
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:39am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Canada don't have the worst side as of late
I'd love us to play each other. It's the first time in my life that I'd actually back Canada to beat Ireland. Canada's attack and midfield are better and actually comfortable on the all. Canada's weakness is their backline but Ireland are so impotent with the ball they'd still struggle to create anything. 

A win over Ireland in a friendly would do nicely for Canada's FIFA rankings too for the hex qualification. 

Arfield your star man?
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 8:53am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I'd love us to play each other. It's the first time in my life that I'd actually back Canada to beat Ireland. Canada's attack and midfield are better and actually comfortable on the all. Canada's weakness is their backline but Ireland are so impotent with the ball they'd still struggle to create anything. 

A win over Ireland in a friendly would do nicely for Canada's FIFA rankings too for the hex qualification. 

Arfield your star man?

Now that Atiba Hutchinson is creeping into retirement, Arfield is the main man in midfield. Very consistent and usually a level above, was great against the USA. Still no clue what Scotland were thinking with him. He'd be one of their best players.

The stars in attack is the real promise though with the teenagers Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David. Alphonso tore MLS apart and got his move to Bayern where he is slowly being brought through. Jonathan David is a goal machine in the Belgian League for Gent and being linked to some top European clubs. Then also have Junior Hoilett, Cavallini, and Cyle Larin having good ability. The biggest difference in the Canadian setup is the emergence of these young forwards which give us hope of actually scoring in a match. Something Ireland are really lacking at the moment. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 9:08am

Arfield your star man?

Now that Atiba Hutchinson is creeping into retirement, Arfield is the main man in midfield. Very consistent and usually a level above, was great against the USA. Still no clue what Scotland were thinking with him. He'd be one of their best players.

The stars in attack is the real promise though with the teenagers Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David. Alphonso tore MLS apart and got his move to Bayern where he is slowly being brought through. Jonathan David is a goal machine in the Belgian League for Gent and being linked to some top European clubs. Then also have Junior Hoilett, Cavallini, and Cyle Larin having good ability. The biggest difference in the Canadian setup is the emergence of these young forwards which give us hope of actually scoring in a match. Something Ireland are really lacking at the moment. 

Ireland lacking an emerging crop of talented young strikers? Are you sure you follow Irish football LOL
We're decent enough..
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Arfield your star man?

Ireland lacking an emerging crop of talented young strikers? Are you sure you follow Irish football LOL

Pick one of Connolly, Parrot, Idah, Cassidy, Afolabi & Obafemi LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:27am
In fairness I'm assuming the Canadian lads he's referring to are already playing regularly for the senior team. So far only Connolly has got that far for us and that's only over the last couple of games.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:07pm

Arfield your star man?

f**k away off mate.
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:14pm

Holy sh*t balls, You know we're in trouble when Canada fancies their chances against us.Confused
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

In fairness I'm assuming the Canadian lads he's referring to are already playing regularly for the senior team. So far only Connolly has got that far for us and that's only over the last couple of games.

Obafemi?
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

Holy sh*t balls, You know we're in trouble when Canada fancies their chances against us.Confused

Serious trouble when the threat of beating us is believable and backed up with a logical argument 

Edited by Left foot - 17 Oct 2019 at 12:56pm
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:18pm
Its like being told as a kid ur parents are splitting up and you cant really understand it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:05pm
In the past? What about their current abominations?
Roger Lonnegan View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Lonnegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:05pm

Arfield your star man?

well the canucks had a better crop of players and they couldn't make it and underperformed.
bundesliga , premier league players and uefa club players and couldn't beat minnows.
  ...............Hirschfeld
stalteri McKenna Kuklowski Ante Jazic
Hutchinson de Guzman Imhoff Brennan
...........radzinski rob friend

they were better players 

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:01pm

Arfield your star man?

Only one of which has made 2 appearances for the senior side and about 5 matches in total in senior football. The others are playing youth football which is irrelevant to the discussion. Until they actually breakthrough we'll continue to look completely toothless in attack. I'm talking about the Irish senior side which struggles to score against Gibraltar. I'm well aware of the youth players, I'm sure I watch a lot more youth football than you even. Hopefully they will progress and give us the same excitement the Canadian crop are showing. Until then though, yes Ireland is severely lacking it. Our biggest goal threat is Shane Duffy from CB for christs sake. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Arfield your star man?

Pick one of Connolly, Parrot, Idah, Cassidy, Afolabi & Obafemi LOL
As above, none of them are even in the senior side except for Connolly's recent promotion. Some of them don't even have a senior appearance at any level. They've done nothing at senior level and aren't even apart of the senior side. Until they actually transition to senior football then yes, we'll continue to watch Ireland without a hope in hell of actually scoring a goal other than Duffy bailing our ass off of a set piece. Jonathan David is one of the best forwards in the Jupiler League and scoring a goal a game for Canada. He is far better than any of the current strikers in the Irish senior side. He is actually the exact same age as Afolabi who has done nothing in senior football, barely even played it. 

We've some very good youth players in the Irish set-up, along with some massively overrated ones, and hopefully they continue to progress and come good. But I'm talking the here and now and the senior side is dreadful viewing with the ball. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. We're talking about the senior national sides after all. With some of the youth crop and Kenny hopefully instilling a much needed new approach to play things will be turning around if all goes well. But speaking about recent results and in the here and now the Canadian attack is just way more exciting. While in the green we've been watching forwards the last couple of years who you'll never go into a match actually believing they will score. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:28pm

Arfield your star man?

f**k away off mate.

Feck off with what? I've yet to meet a Scot who isn't livid with the Scottish camp and what they did with Arfield and other players. Their squad selections have been controversial for years with the supporters. The Scots were handing out caps easier than Ireland was. Sure we played against them a few years ago with bloody Charlie Mulgrew in midfield, no surprise he played us off the park anyway but that is besides the point. Arfield's time at Burnley was far better than half the lot Scotland have been calling up over the years. He should have easily been in their camp, thankfully for Canada, Scotland are run worse than Ireland.

Edited by IrishCanadian - 17 Oct 2019 at 7:28pm
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:52pm

Feck off with what? I've yet to meet a Scot who isn't livid with the Scottish camp and what they did with Arfield and other players. Their squad selections have been controversial for years with the supporters. The Scots were handing out caps easier than Ireland was. Sure we played against them a few years ago with bloody Charlie Mulgrew in midfield, no surprise he played us off the park anyway but that is besides the point. Arfield's time at Burnley was far better than half the lot Scotland have been calling up over the years. He should have easily been in their camp, thankfully for Canada, Scotland are run worse than Ireland.

I wasn't bothered about Arfield going to play for Canada, nor where most of the TAMB. Good luck to him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546>
  Share Topic