FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Switzerland V Ireland match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 46>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Canada don't have the worst side as of late
I'd love us to play each other. It's the first time in my life that I'd actually back Canada to beat Ireland. Canada's attack and midfield are better and actually comfortable on the all. Canada's weakness is their backline but Ireland are so impotent with the ball they'd still struggle to create anything. 

A win over Ireland in a friendly would do nicely for Canada's FIFA rankings too for the hex qualification. 

Arfield your star man?

Now that Atiba Hutchinson is creeping into retirement, Arfield is the main man in midfield. Very consistent and usually a level above, was great against the USA. Still no clue what Scotland were thinking with him. He'd be one of their best players.

The stars in attack is the real promise though with the teenagers Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David. Alphonso tore MLS apart and got his move to Bayern where he is slowly being brought through. Jonathan David is a goal machine in the Belgian League for Gent and being linked to some top European clubs. Then also have Junior Hoilett, Cavallini, and Cyle Larin having good ability. The biggest difference in the Canadian setup is the emergence of these young forwards which give us hope of actually scoring in a match. Something Ireland are really lacking at the moment. 

Ireland lacking an emerging crop of talented young strikers? Are you sure you follow Irish football LOL

Pick one of Connolly, Parrot, Idah, Cassidy, Afolabi & Obafemi LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 9:08am

I'd love us to play each other. It's the first time in my life that I'd actually back Canada to beat Ireland. Canada's attack and midfield are better and actually comfortable on the all. Canada's weakness is their backline but Ireland are so impotent with the ball they'd still struggle to create anything. 

A win over Ireland in a friendly would do nicely for Canada's FIFA rankings too for the hex qualification. 

Arfield your star man?

Now that Atiba Hutchinson is creeping into retirement, Arfield is the main man in midfield. Very consistent and usually a level above, was great against the USA. Still no clue what Scotland were thinking with him. He'd be one of their best players.

The stars in attack is the real promise though with the teenagers Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David. Alphonso tore MLS apart and got his move to Bayern where he is slowly being brought through. Jonathan David is a goal machine in the Belgian League for Gent and being linked to some top European clubs. Then also have Junior Hoilett, Cavallini, and Cyle Larin having good ability. The biggest difference in the Canadian setup is the emergence of these young forwards which give us hope of actually scoring in a match. Something Ireland are really lacking at the moment. 

Ireland lacking an emerging crop of talented young strikers? Are you sure you follow Irish football LOL
We're decent enough..
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 8:53am

Arfield your star man?

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:39am

Arfield your star man?
Pauln90 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauln90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:42am
Switzerland 2-0 Republic of Ireland | The Final Word

https://youtu.be/T_ZJkQTlogY
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:25pm

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Crosby87 Crosby87 wrote:

Eire no question. I do root for them when you guys play those stupid summer games at Met Life VS US. 

Good for you. I liked Bing, and David is great. David Crosbie from Brookside was 'stand up guy' too.
Crosby87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosby87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:32pm
Eire no question. I do root for them when you guys play those stupid summer games at Met Life VS US. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

Clear desperation from some suggesting Long and Brady should be brought back in. Another case of people getting better when they don't play. Brady can barely make Burnleys bench and was woeful before he was dropped.

Long can't score goals and just runs around like a headless chicken. Both good servants for Ireland but done at international level.

Whatever the question is one thing if for sure, James Collins is not the answer. Nor is Scott Hogan. Both wayyyy out their depth at this level. Shane Long should have walked onto that team last night. To not even be in the squad was ridiculous. Brady has been woeful for a long time but he has been played centre midfield, left back, right midfield and as a number 10. Would someone just play him in his f**king position. Surely he would have been an option from the bench to replace McClean last night?

Long not answer either. 10 goals in 3 years is absolutely pathetic. Long had his chance to step up after Keane and Doyle but didn't. He is not going to suddenly become prolific goalscorer and we already have enough players getting points for effort and f**k all else. Brady has not been regular for Burnley for nearly 2 years. He cant get a game even when fit. McNeil has that spot nailed down. 

There is merit to your point but Collins over Long and Judge over Brady was nonsense. I think what got me most last night was going three at the back. I thought that was a good move. Then instead of playing two guys doing quite well.as wing backs for their clubs we played an ageing Seamus Coleman and James McClean. Stevens moved inside to accomodate him. Play our players in the right positions and we might actually we an ok side. Oh and play Long over Collins. Collins was beyond hopeless. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Clear desperation from some suggesting Long and Brady should be brought back in. Another case of people getting better when they don't play. Brady can barely make Burnleys bench and was woeful before he was dropped.

Long can't score goals and just runs around like a headless chicken. Both good servants for Ireland but done at international level.

Whatever the question is one thing if for sure, James Collins is not the answer. Nor is Scott Hogan. Both wayyyy out their depth at this level. Shane Long should have walked onto that team last night. To not even be in the squad was ridiculous. Brady has been woeful for a long time but he has been played centre midfield, left back, right midfield and as a number 10. Would someone just play him in his f**king position. Surely he would have been an option from the bench to replace McClean last night?

Long not answer either. 10 goals in 3 years is absolutely pathetic. Long had his chance to step up after Keane and Doyle but didn't. He is not going to suddenly become prolific goalscorer and we already have enough players getting points for effort and f**k all else. Brady has not been regular for Burnley for nearly 2 years. He cant get a game even when fit. McNeil has that spot nailed down. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Crosby87 Crosby87 wrote:

Things can always get worse. Look at USA losing to Canada 2-0.
  They are a total mess.

If the US played the EIRE who would you be 'rooting for'?
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 5:24pm
Crosby87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosby87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 5:00pm
Things can always get worse. Look at USA losing to Canada 2-0.
  They are a total mess.
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 4:18pm

Would you take K Long over Clark in the next squad - Clark much more experienced and all round better IMO, if he continues to be in Bruce's matchday squad between now and then he has to be at least in serious contention for the squad, K Long will be ahead in the pecking order to being a preference of MM
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think swapping squad players around is a red herring. Doherty for Coleman, Whelan for Cullen, Hendrick for Brady etc etc etc 

We need a game plan that isnt hoof ball. We need to start working the ball forward from the back. We need to get better organised.

I get the feeling that Mick picks a formation, pick 11 players and offer a cliche like - 'get stuck in' or 'be brave in the tackle' and that's pretty much it 

Picking the best players available to us, which given our resources shouldn't be all that difficult, would be a decent start at least.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:53pm
I think swapping squad players around is a red herring. Doherty for Coleman, Whelan for Cullen, Hendrick for Brady etc etc etc 

We need a game plan that isnt hoof ball. We need to start working the ball forward from the back. We need to get better organised.

I get the feeling that Mick picks a formation, pick 11 players and offer a cliche like - 'get stuck in' or 'be brave in the tackle' and that's pretty much it 

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:40pm

Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:32pm

Brady has been injured for the best part of 5 months. Only back in the Burnley team. To suggest he hasn’t done it at international level is ludicrous tbh. Same with long. Offers far more than hogan Collins and maguire.
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 46>
  Share Topic