FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Switzerland V Ireland match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switzerland V Ireland match thread
    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 11:46am
I’m really trying to put the last double header and our poor performances on ice for a few weeks. Let’s see how our players do for their clubs (or don’t do in case they are not playing) and then see what the options are at squad time. 

Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 11:37am
I think you're being too generous here Kearney304.

There is very little in the way of competition for certain positions. If mcclean Is out there is no one to replace him, who even plays on the right of midfield, number 9 anyone?

I really don't understand why people cant see the difference between 'working hard and playing well' in games and I would only disagree on that point.

Whelan worked hard in recent games, gave it his all, left nothing in the tank. But he very clearly didn't play well which is self evident when opposition teams were clearly walking through the midfield. Not saying he's the only one to blame here but he does hold the midfield line, or at least he is supposed to.

His lack of pace showed him up countless times, he lost a number of 50/50s., his passing is pretty basic, he doesn't have the energy for 2 games. He doesn't show for the ball, he did have a 10 min spell in the swiss game where he was really good but that's all.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 10:46am
Worst away of my life in Geneva - an absolute sobering experience. 

Been so depressed - haven't even been able to log on here or talk about it.

Mick hasn't a bulls notion, that's just the harsh reality of it. Lots of lads backing him but he is a T-Rex. His tactics and team selection are baffling and embarrassing.

For me:

Randolph, Duffy, Egan & Whelan are the only lads who can take some credibility from the double header. The rest would be lucky to even play for Ireland again. 

Connolly / Stevens get a hall pass - not their fault (either out of position or not played).

Duffy was more creative from CB than all our midfield. Hourihane scapegoated after Georgia - very harsh and didn't see a min. 

The frustrating part for me was watching the Swiss live in 2 games and they didn't impress me at all, like very limited and not great at all. 

I've resigned myself to the playoffs (again there was a huge chance for us break tradition and actually qualify in top 2). 
Anyone who doesn't blame Mick needs to feck off and never come back. You will see this with Kenny. An absolute dinosaur. 

sh*te tactics, sh*te knowledge and sh*te squad.

Edited by kearney304 - 27 Oct 2019 at 10:49am
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Canada and Arfield "the Orange Messi" are not close, - unless of course Hendrick, McClean, Whelan etc defected in Switzerland, never to be seen again a la Fidel's lads to be replaced by PreMadonna, Trap Junior and O'Shea in the midfield three, with Territorial in nets deliberately letting goals in -  and even then Canada would struggle.  

"Deliberately letting them in"?

I'd be hammering them in myself, like Roy Race wearing Billy's Boots.

Then at the final whistle, I'd run off the pitch, up into the Sky Studio and kick Roy Keane square in the bollox.

Repeatedly.

At least we’d all get to watch you stand for Amhran na bhFiann in your capital city. 

Ha!

I remember the first time we played down Mexico way, in 1978. When the band struck up the first notes (Artane Boys?), the lads on the away terrace all sat down on the concrete, then stood up again when it finished, before inflating a load of condoms and throwing them in the air! (You couldn't buy them for love nor money in Holy Mother Oireland in those far-off days).

Of course they didn't play our anthem, so we provided one ourselves:

We're The Best Behaved Supporters In The Land (when we win)
We're The Best Behaved Supporters
Best Behaved Supporters

But We're The Worst Shower Of Bastards (when we lose)
We're The Worst Shower Of Bastards (when we lose)
We're The Worst Shower Of Bastards
The Worst Shower Of Bastards
We're The Worst Shower Of Bastards (when we lose) LOL

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Then at the final whistle, I'd run off the pitch, up into the Sky Studio and kick Roy Keane square in the bollox.

Repeatedly.

I am when I'm wearing Billy's Boots:

P.S. They belonged to Dead-Shot Keen - no relation.

Edited by Territorial - 18 Oct 2019 at 12:43pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 12:33pm
The question is not whether we would beat Canada. That's irrelevant.  The question is would we beat Cuba?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 12:25pm

TOP SECRET - don't share with the Denmark team

So I get the feeling will be playing the same players and the same hoof ball approach for the first 70 mins with the aim to keep it 0-0. 

Then for the last 20 mins of the game Mick will make some nonsensical substitution like Alan Judge on for someone other than mcclean (who will be terrible but run a lot) 

we will be looking for the winning goal but all the attacks break down easily because we haven't been set up to press teams.

Game will end a draw or loss and Whelan will somehow be MOTM 

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:42am

Canada and Arfield "the Orange Messi" are not close, - unless of course Hendrick, McClean, Whelan etc defected in Switzerland, never to be seen again a la Fidel's lads to be replaced by PreMadonna, Trap Junior and O'Shea in the midfield three, with Territorial in nets deliberately letting goals in -  and even then Canada would struggle.  

Repeatedly.

At least we’d all get to watch you stand for Amhran na bhFiann in your capital city. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:37am

Repeatedly.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:17am

Repeatedly.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 8:13am
I was at the Canada V Cuba game.  That's about as relevant as any of.the recent posts are to the thread title  
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 8:06am
I genuinely forgot he was still at Rangers! I know I don’t follow them the way Tones does, but I do try and keep abreast of what is going on! A nothing player in the SPFL is exactly what Scotland are crying out for! 

Another thread veering towards lunacy!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:53am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Canada don't have the worst side as of late
I'd love us to play each other. It's the first time in my life that I'd actually back Canada to beat Ireland. Canada's attack and midfield are better and actually comfortable on the all. Canada's weakness is their backline but Ireland are so impotent with the ball they'd still struggle to create anything. 

A win over Ireland in a friendly would do nicely for Canada's FIFA rankings too for the hex qualification. 

Arfield your star man?

Now that Atiba Hutchinson is creeping into retirement, Arfield is the main man in midfield. Very consistent and usually a level above, was great against the USA. Still no clue what Scotland were thinking with him. He'd be one of their best players.

The stars in attack is the real promise though with the teenagers Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David. Alphonso tore MLS apart and got his move to Bayern where he is slowly being brought through. Jonathan David is a goal machine in the Belgian League for Gent and being linked to some top European clubs. Then also have Junior Hoilett, Cavallini, and Cyle Larin having good ability. The biggest difference in the Canadian setup is the emergence of these young forwards which give us hope of actually scoring in a match. Something Ireland are really lacking at the moment. 

f**k away off mate.

Feck off with what? I've yet to meet a Scot who isn't livid with the Scottish camp and what they did with Arfield and other players. Their squad selections have been controversial for years with the supporters. The Scots were handing out caps easier than Ireland was. Sure we played against them a few years ago with bloody Charlie Mulgrew in midfield, no surprise he played us off the park anyway but that is besides the point. Arfield's time at Burnley was far better than half the lot Scotland have been calling up over the years. He should have easily been in their camp, thankfully for Canada, Scotland are run worse than Ireland.

Arfield is useless, every time I watch him for Rangers he looks clueless, but you think he would be one of Scotland's best players? Ryan Jack is better than him and can't get near the Scotland side. Would he get a game ahead of McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Armstrong or Christie? I'll answer that, not a chance.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:38am
LOL

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'd love us to play each other. It's the first time in my life that I'd actually back Canada to beat Ireland. Canada's attack and midfield are better and actually comfortable on the all. Canada's weakness is their backline but Ireland are so impotent with the ball they'd still struggle to create anything. 

A win over Ireland in a friendly would do nicely for Canada's FIFA rankings too for the hex qualification. 

Arfield your star man?

Now that Atiba Hutchinson is creeping into retirement, Arfield is the main man in midfield. Very consistent and usually a level above, was great against the USA. Still no clue what Scotland were thinking with him. He'd be one of their best players.

The stars in attack is the real promise though with the teenagers Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David. Alphonso tore MLS apart and got his move to Bayern where he is slowly being brought through. Jonathan David is a goal machine in the Belgian League for Gent and being linked to some top European clubs. Then also have Junior Hoilett, Cavallini, and Cyle Larin having good ability. The biggest difference in the Canadian setup is the emergence of these young forwards which give us hope of actually scoring in a match. Something Ireland are really lacking at the moment. 

Ireland lacking an emerging crop of talented young strikers? Are you sure you follow Irish football LOL

Pick one of Connolly, Parrot, Idah, Cassidy, Afolabi & Obafemi LOL
As above, none of them are even in the senior side except for Connolly's recent promotion. Some of them don't even have a senior appearance at any level. They've done nothing at senior level and aren't even apart of the senior side. Until they actually transition to senior football then yes, we'll continue to watch Ireland without a hope in hell of actually scoring a goal other than Duffy bailing our ass off of a set piece. Jonathan David is one of the best forwards in the Jupiler League and scoring a goal a game for Canada. He is far better than any of the current strikers in the Irish senior side. He is actually the exact same age as Afolabi who has done nothing in senior football, barely even played it. 

We've some very good youth players in the Irish set-up, along with some massively overrated ones, and hopefully they continue to progress and come good. But I'm talking the here and now and the senior side is dreadful viewing with the ball. 

Just seeing the comedy Canada-boasting here.

Canada's last game bar one was a 1-0 win over an entirely amateur team of Sunday league footballers, Cuba, in a neutral venue.  Winner by Davies. 

Cuba are so bad they make Gibraltar look like Barcelona.

In the previous week, in the Toronto leg of the fixture, four Cuban players made a break for it and defected, never to be seen again.  In the recent game, it was lucky Cuba didn't score, as the goal celebration could have meant a sprint to the sideline, down the tunnel, out on to the street, hail down the first taxi and "follow that car to FREEDOM please sir".  And don't look back.

That's to add to the four poor Cuban comrades who made a break for it during the Gold Cup a couple of months ago in the US.  And another lad disappeared in their 3-0 loss in June to tiny island, Martinique.

So Cuba would be kind of like Gibraltar's standard . . .  if, every time Gibraltar had an away game, half the team legged it off into the sunset, never to be seen again.  Before any match, Fidel's predecessors are left scouring the streets of Havana for anyone left - the binman, the milkman, the bus-driver, - who can still play football who hasn't fooked off at the first chance they got. 

And Canada scrapped a 1-0 against these boys in a competitive Concacaf league game last month.

Gimme a break. 

I'd love if we played your boys.  Don't think they'd last the pace against any second, third or fourth tier European opposition - Canucks are somewhere around the Armenia/Azerbaijan level.  No hope of qualifying for a world cup without hosting it. 

And, as bad as we are, our U21s, let alone the senior team, would wipe the floor with Canada.

LOL

Brilliant post
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:07am

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Arfield your star man?

Ireland lacking an emerging crop of talented young strikers? Are you sure you follow Irish football LOL

Pick one of Connolly, Parrot, Idah, Cassidy, Afolabi & Obafemi LOL
As above, none of them are even in the senior side except for Connolly's recent promotion. Some of them don't even have a senior appearance at any level. They've done nothing at senior level and aren't even apart of the senior side. Until they actually transition to senior football then yes, we'll continue to watch Ireland without a hope in hell of actually scoring a goal other than Duffy bailing our ass off of a set piece. Jonathan David is one of the best forwards in the Jupiler League and scoring a goal a game for Canada. He is far better than any of the current strikers in the Irish senior side. He is actually the exact same age as Afolabi who has done nothing in senior football, barely even played it. 

We've some very good youth players in the Irish set-up, along with some massively overrated ones, and hopefully they continue to progress and come good. But I'm talking the here and now and the senior side is dreadful viewing with the ball. 

Just seeing the comedy Canada-boasting here.

Canada's last game bar one was a 1-0 win over an entirely amateur team of Sunday league footballers, Cuba, in a neutral venue.  Winner by Davies. 

Cuba are so bad they make Gibraltar look like Barcelona.

In the previous week, in the Toronto leg of the fixture, four Cuban players made a break for it and defected, never to be seen again.  In the recent game, it was lucky Cuba didn't score, as the goal celebration could have meant a sprint to the sideline, down the tunnel, out on to the street, hail down the first taxi and "follow that car to FREEDOM please sir".  And don't look back.

That's to add to the four poor Cuban comrades who made a break for it during the Gold Cup a couple of months ago in the US.  And another lad disappeared in their 3-0 loss in June to tiny island, Martinique.

So Cuba would be kind of like Gibraltar's standard . . .  if, every time Gibraltar had an away game, half the team legged it off into the sunset, never to be seen again.  Before any match, Fidel's successors are left scouring the streets of Havana for anyone left who can still play football - the binman, the milkman, the bus-driver, whoever - who hasn't fooked off at the first chance they got. 

And Canada scrapped a 1-0 against these boys in a competitive Concacaf league game last month.

Gimme a break. 

I'd love if we played your boys.  Don't think they'd last the pace against any second, third or fourth tier European opposition - Canucks are somewhere around the Armenia/Azerbaijan level.  No hope of qualifying for a world cup without hosting it. 

And, as bad as we are, our U21s, let alone the senior team, would wipe the floor with Canada.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 18 Oct 2019 at 5:52pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 11:20pm
We are Canada Plus
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:59pm
So Canada gonna replace Wales as new fetish team we all have to spunk our boxers at the mere mention of?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 9:54pm
’Prolly’?Jesus wept!!!LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>
  Share Topic