You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuff you never see in football anymore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Players with ridiculously long laces having to wrap it around the underside of the boot ot around the ankles to get rid of extra slack.  You see    this  with     players like      BURRUCHAGA      1986

The Argentinian sub goalie who ended up playing most of their game during Italia 90 used to do this. Had the tongue of the Copa's tied around the lower part of the shinguard too.

Sergio      GOYCOCHEA     EL    GOYCO
Italia 90 was probably my first football memory, and this was one of the nmes that stuck in my head. Never realised he was a backup

Pumpido got injured in the 2nd game against CCCP.  I dont know if they had a 3rd keeper if EL    GOYCO    got injured

EDIT: He broke his leg 2nd game not 1st game.

Pumpido nearly lost a finger a year before that 1990 WC. He jumped up to save a shot and his wedding ring got caught on a nail on the crossbar. Ouch.
Sponsored Links

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:07pm
Cars parked behind the goals (Stamford Bridge).

Short shorts.

Socks rolled down around the ankles.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Fans at Man City's ground.

If you use 1934 as a barometer then yes, you may have some sort of point.
That was the year that the attendance record for an English club ground was set, when 84,569 people attended Manchester City vs Stoke. Not bad for a club with no fans or history.

I imagine that you weren't around then, and didn't get into football until the 1990s. If so, then the average Man City home league attendance in 1994 was 22,725
Despite being relegated to what used to be known as Division One, the average attendance a few years later was actually higher, at 26,753, and in 1998/99, it was a remarkable 28,261 despite playing in Division Two

Those figures are almost half of the average attendance these days in the Etihad Stadium however, which was most recently 54,130. Again, not bad for a team with no fans

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 07 Oct 2019 at 12:27pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

That was the year that the attendance record for an English club ground was set, when 84,569 people attended Manchester City vs Stoke. Not bad for a club with no fans or history.

I imagine that you weren't around then, and didn't get into football until the 1990s. If so, then the average Man City home league attendance in 1994 was 22,725
Despite being relegated to what used to be known as Division One, the average attendance a few years later was actually higher, at 26,753, and in 1998/99, it was a remarkable 28,261 despite playing in Division Two

Those figures are almost half of the average attendance these days in the Etihad Stadium however, which was most recently 54,130. Again, not bad for a team with no fans

Yeah I kinda like the idea that City averaged 28k in League 1, and hasn't completely ballooned to silly figures. They've a fairly large core fanbase, which outnumbers the new fans and daytrippers.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Yeah I kinda like the idea that City averaged 28k in League 1, and hasn't completely ballooned to silly figures. They've a fairly large core fanbase, which outnumbers the new fans and daytrippers.
Exactly. From working at a bar in Manchester I used to enjoy city fans coming in.  They were knowledgeable to chat to and didn't seem to take current success for granted.  Used to dread working for United matches.  Pub be full of peaky blinders wannabe scrotes from dublin who couldn't handle their drink and scandinavians who were as much craic as a funeral or had no interest in football and were just there to see zlatan

Edited by thebronze14 - 07 Oct 2019 at 5:48pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:50pm
You never see a keeper making a diving catch with both hands anymore.  Used to be all the rage in the 80's like white dog sh*te.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:10pm
Rare enough to see long sleeve jerseys. Usually just a short sleeve shirt and base layer underneath. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Rare enough to see long sleeve jerseys. Usually just a short sleeve shirt and base layer underneath. 
YArmolenko at WH a great exponent of this at the moment

Edited by Shedite - 08 Oct 2019 at 8:35pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:42pm
Players signing a new contract on a table on the pitch before a game  with the manager and chairman sitting beside them.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:39pm
Tracksuit bottoms on GKs. Managers wearing hats or smoking a cig.
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

I remember there being a time when you couldn’t get long sleeve replica jerseys.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:42pm
Football howler videos. Danny Dyer was the last of a dying breed
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Tracksuit bottoms on GKs. Managers wearing hats or smoking a cig.
Allegri smokes, doesn’t he? 

As I’m here, you never hear any pundit say anything interesting, entertaining or even mildly worthwhile.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

As I’m here, you never hear any pundit say anything interesting, entertaining or even mildly worthwhile.

Did we ever get much of that though? I always thought the realm of football punditry was the preserve of inane sound bites and clichés. Certainly in the UK at least.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Did we ever get much of that though? I always thought the realm of football punditry was the preserve of inane sound bites and clichés. Certainly in the UK at least.
Yeah, but at least there was only one of them! Now you have a squad of fifty of them saying even less! They used to have personalities too, many of them bad, but it was something!
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:02pm

Yeah, but at least there was only one of them! Now you have a squad of fifty of them saying even less! They used to have personalities too, many of them bad, but it was something!

This is true. There's no doubt they have become more vacuous over the years, I just don't really recall a 'golden age' as such of football punditry. Or if there was it was before my time!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

This is true. There's no doubt they have become more vacuous over the years, I just don't really recall a 'golden age' as such of football punditry. Or if there was it was before my time!
There probably wasn’t, although Clough was a pundit for a while, but it seems to be regressing. When BT started off they had some decent writers on their Sunday night European show, that was a step in the right direction.

I guess as the game has become boring at the highest levels the discussion around it is hardly going to evolve!

Edited by pre Madonna - 10 Oct 2019 at 2:07pm
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:12pm
Rolls of receipts been thrown on the pitch. 

Players running across goalkeepers during their kick outs, trying to put them off. 

The number boards. (not the digital kind) for changing subs. 

Big tongues covering the laces on football boots used to be all the rage (puma king)

Mucky footballers. Pitches are too 'grassy' these days LOL

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 10 Oct 2019 at 2:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>
  Share Topic