You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA football 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 56>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

I'd also be in favour of the weakest counties getting the most funding. Dublin, kerry, mayo, Tyrone should be bottom of the list. If any county needed saving back when Dublin got the special treatment it was Antrim and Derry. Antrim in particular with the islands second biggest city. An absolute disgrace Dublin received about 20 times more when their population is only about half of Dublin's. Pure bias in favour of Dublin. Remember back then Antrim would give Dublin a competitive game in hurling? No chance of that these days.

Could you imagine fifa had a meeting and concluded Man Utd needed saving so gave them 20 times the funding of every other team and home advantage in every big match. 
See the point about funding to Dublin is that there are large areas of the city which are GAA wastelands

Finglas and Tallaght have collapsed over the last 20 years or so and the far flung areas of Grater Blanchardstown aren't much better

Neilstown and Ballyfermot have never been GAA areas, the inner city doesn't have a club anymore

I accept that Belfast and Derry City would appear to be equally in need of such funding

That funding to grass roots in Dublin should stay because the main point of the GAA is that it is a grass roots community organisation 

It should be said too that the Dublin team do not train in sumptuous luxury, they train in Innisfails and St. Clare's which are pretty spartan

They do work harder than most other teams, and they work smarter

The point is to give other teams the ability to work smarter too

But some of Dublin's advantages are not fixable

The GAA can't fix the situation where players from other counties have to move county to study or to work while Dublin players don't

That's down to the economic imbalance of Ireland itself

I keep saying though, loads of counties are underperforming terribly

Mayo are not one of those, they never look for excuses, but Meath and Kildare definitely do

Ah jesus are you seriously saying the facilities in St Clares aren’t great?LOLLOL I’ve been to a fair share of different centres of excellence in different counties and apart from Abbotstown it’s probably the best I’ve seen. Im not taking away from the Dublin team for one second they are an exceptional group of footballers but Dublin Gaa is at a huge advantage in everyway. I can count off the top of my head 15/20 top class gaa facilities in Dublin be that club, college or gaa owned where the county teams can train. The Dublin funding is so much greater also compared to every other county. Over the last 10 years Dublin got 17 million the closest to that was Cork who got 1.4 million. How does that make sense? There is over 100 paid coaches in Dublin alone who are paid by funding. Up until a few years ago Donegal had 1. 1 single paid coach. So do you think the funding hasn’t helped develop Dublin Gaa?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30950485.html

Humble by any shape or means, as former player Alan Brogan insisted last year. “All that’s in St Clare’s is one dressing room, an ice-bath, a kitchen and a whiteboard. It’s not a patch on Tyrone’s facility in Garganey, Kildare’s in Hawkfield, or Kerry’s new €7m development in Currans.”
Ah sure take what the Brogans say as gospel. Bernards made a fool of himself the last few weeks on twitter. St Clares has 3 full size grass pitches and a full-size AstroTurf along with a full gym. Garvahey in Tyrone for anyone that’s been there is probably the coldest place in Ireland I’m not even sure how they manage to train there during the winter it’s that bad. You are making points about funding for grassroots players also. That makes no sense either considering the proportion Dublin received per player in 2015. 39k players the funding was €275 per head, Mayo 10k was €22, Donegal 14k was €20. It’s way out of proportion the funding for Dublin 
Where does that factor in the time spent in coaching players at schools who aren't attached per club?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:28am
Interesting article on GPOs in Wicklow from last year - Seems they didn't get much interest from clubs in having them.

Would more funding help here? 

And if the likes of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow actually have between 18 and 20 each, are more still needed?

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Interesting article on GPOs in Wicklow from last year - Seems they didn't get much interest from clubs in having them.

And if the likes of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow actually have between 18 and 20 each, are more still needed?

Obviously Dublin is getting more funding but if other counties aren't taking up the matched funding on offer then I don't see what criticising Dublin will do. As said before I'd like to see (doubt I will) to see where funding in Dublin is going.  

Edited by sausy - 22 Dec 2020 at 10:35am
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 10:15am
Dublin were over funded compared to the rest for the last 23 years. Not only should the rest be funded fairly from now on I'd argue they get funded better then dublin for the next 23 years to attempt repair some of the imbalance. 
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 10:39am

18 Games Development Officers? I could be wrong but I don't think Kildare have anywhere near even half that number
Some people just deserve a slap
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 10:51am

How many clubs in Wicklow could realistically afford to shell out €20,000 a year to fund a GDO?

It's all well and good linking up with one or two other clubs within a 10km radius or whatever and split the bill, but it's still a hell of a lot of money especially for many smaller rural clubs especially. 

This is why county boards need to have access to increased funding by €100,000 + per year minimum to get more GDO's on the ground and not leave it up to the clubs, leadership stems from the top not at the bottom.

Also, Meath and Kildare most definitely don't have anywhere near that number, sure Tyrone only have 2 (open to correction) and Laois I think have 4 (again open to correction)
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

18 Games Development Officers? I could be wrong but I don't think Kildare have anywhere near even half that number

Just looking at this article, looks like there are 9 backed up by another 6 coaching staff:

https://kildare-nationalist.ie/2020/12/09/focus-on-coach-education-and-football-development-in-kildare/

I've no idea whether that is enough for them. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:13am
Meath are a funny example, they've always been traditionally the second strongest county in Leinster in Football. As of right now, they're a side who have played in Division 1, made it through to the Super 8s and are making great strides in Hurling.

Kildare, have enjoyed more underage success over the last decade than in the previous 100 years in Football. A county that flitters between Division 1 and Division 2 in the league more often than not but looking back, will note that they've won 2 Leinster Titles in 60 years? In saying that are also doing trojan work in the promotion of Hurling, like Meath but that seems to be ignored?

Both Meath and Kildare most definitely should be offering more of a challenge to Dublin in Leinster but there are far worse off counties than both who have been basically left to rot and were left for dead by the GAA.

Offaly is probably the best example of a traditional dual county that have been left high and dry, which is extremely sad to see. Instead of not asking questions early on and allowing their rapid demise take place wouldn't it have been great if the structures were put in early doors to help stop the rot per say?

Also, I mean why are so many counties in Ulster and Connaught allowed to more or less completely neglect Hurling? Kilkenny the same with Football (at least they're not starting to make some effort)

Money won't solve everything, there has to be the desire and people within a county to help fix the problems or to tap into that potential etc but there is absolutely no question that increased funding (high level funding at that) would increase coaching resources which more often than not will lead to an overall better standard from grassroots up.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:36am

I'd also be in favour of the weakest counties getting the most funding. Dublin, kerry, mayo, Tyrone should be bottom of the list. If any county needed saving back when Dublin got the special treatment it was Antrim and Derry. Antrim in particular with the islands second biggest city. An absolute disgrace Dublin received about 20 times more when their population is only about half of Dublin's. Pure bias in favour of Dublin. Remember back then Antrim would give Dublin a competitive game in hurling? No chance of that these days.

Could you imagine fifa had a meeting and concluded Man Utd needed saving so gave them 20 times the funding of every other team and home advantage in every big match. 
See the point about funding to Dublin is that there are large areas of the city which are GAA wastelands

Finglas and Tallaght have collapsed over the last 20 years or so and the far flung areas of Grater Blanchardstown aren't much better

Neilstown and Ballyfermot have never been GAA areas, the inner city doesn't have a club anymore

I accept that Belfast and Derry City would appear to be equally in need of such funding

That funding to grass roots in Dublin should stay because the main point of the GAA is that it is a grass roots community organisation 

It should be said too that the Dublin team do not train in sumptuous luxury, they train in Innisfails and St. Clare's which are pretty spartan

The GAA can't fix the situation where players from other counties have to move county to study or to work while Dublin players don't

Mayo are not one of those, they never look for excuses, but Meath and Kildare definitely do

Ah jesus are you seriously saying the facilities in St Clares aren’t great?LOLLOL I’ve been to a fair share of different centres of excellence in different counties and apart from Abbotstown it’s probably the best I’ve seen. Im not taking away from the Dublin team for one second they are an exceptional group of footballers but Dublin Gaa is at a huge advantage in everyway. I can count off the top of my head 15/20 top class gaa facilities in Dublin be that club, college or gaa owned where the county teams can train. The Dublin funding is so much greater also compared to every other county. Over the last 10 years Dublin got 17 million the closest to that was Cork who got 1.4 million. How does that make sense? There is over 100 paid coaches in Dublin alone who are paid by funding. Up until a few years ago Donegal had 1. 1 single paid coach. So do you think the funding hasn’t helped develop Dublin Gaa?

Humble by any shape or means, as former player Alan Brogan insisted last year. “All that’s in St Clare’s is one dressing room, an ice-bath, a kitchen and a whiteboard. It’s not a patch on Tyrone’s facility in Garganey, Kildare’s in Hawkfield, or Kerry’s new €7m development in Currans.”
Ah sure take what the Brogans say as gospel. Bernards made a fool of himself the last few weeks on twitter. St Clares has 3 full size grass pitches and a full-size AstroTurf along with a full gym. Garvahey in Tyrone for anyone that’s been there is probably the coldest place in Ireland I’m not even sure how they manage to train there during the winter it’s that bad. You are making points about funding for grassroots players also. That makes no sense either considering the proportion Dublin received per player in 2015. 39k players the funding was €275 per head, Mayo 10k was €22, Donegal 14k was €20. It’s way out of proportion the funding for Dublin 
Where does that factor in the time spent in coaching players at schools who aren't attached per club?
Why? Are Dublin the only county who have players being coached in schools that aren’t in clubs? So you think Dublin should get even more funding?LOLLOLLOL Who is coaching the children in schools? It’s hardly a GDO paid for by the funding? Ah sure up the Dubs, Hill 16 lalala haha go wan Dermo! Them culchies are just mad

Edited by Donegalman - 22 Dec 2020 at 11:37am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:38am
On another note, one of the social media internet tropes that I cannot stand is the photos of Stephen Cluxton, accompanied by captions and comments that he is "bored" or side by side stills with other players in different emotional states as they lift provincial honours etc, with an implicit comment about "what it means".

Cluxton is one of Ireland's greatest ever sportspeople. He has lifted every senior honour at inter-county level (personal and team based), has revolutionised the goalkeeping position on a number of levels, and has led his county to heights undreamt of before. There have been numerous points at which somebody who might be "bored" might have jacked it in. The 2009 defeat to Kerry might have been seen as a good time to jump off, the first All Ireland win in 2011, the Three in a Row win in 2017, the five in a row win in 2019. The list goes on and on. 

When he lamped the ball over the bar in 2011 and Dublin lifted their first title in 16 years, he was stoic and measured. Its his nature, and part of that nature has made him as good as he is. Using that as a way of traducing him is pathetic, and is just a proxy at criticising Dublin, and is in truth just bog standard anti-Dublin vitriol.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:39am

Why? Are Dublin the only county who have players being coached in schools that aren’t in clubs? So you think Dublin should get even more funding?LOLLOLLOL Who is coaching the children in schools? It’s hardly a GDO paid for by the funding? Ah sure up there Dubs, Hill 16 lalala haha go wan Dermo! Them culchies are just mad
I believe it is. Which would makes funding figures per head based only on club participation irrelevant. 

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:43am

A full gym, wow

The appropriate metric for grass roots funding is overall population, not players

Deliberately taking the wrong metric is a Ewanism
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:52am

A full gym, wow

The appropriate metric for grass roots funding is overall population, not players

Yes a full Gym and four pitches which you fail to mentions because it didn’t suit your narrative that Alan Brogan said the facilities were mediocre which you took as gospel. Ah sure never mind hopefully the GAA throws even more money to Dublin sure they are doing a great job on a tight budget 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

On another note, one of the social media internet tropes that I cannot stand is the photos of Stephen Cluxton, accompanied by captions and comments that he is "bored" or side by side stills with other players in different emotional states as they lift provincial honours etc, with an implicit comment about "what it means".

Cluxton is one of Ireland's greatest ever sportspeople. He has lifted every senior honour at inter-county level (personal and team based), has revolutionised the goalkeeping position on a number of levels, and has led his county to heights undreamt of before. There have been numerous points at which somebody who might be "bored" might have jacked it in. The 2009 defeat to Kerry might have been seen as a good time to jump off, the first All Ireland win in 2011, the Three in a Row win in 2017, the five in a row win in 2019. The list goes on and on. 

When he lamped the ball over the bar in 2011 and Dublin lifted their first title in 16 years, he was stoic and measured. Its his nature, and part of that nature has made him as good as he is. Using that as a way of traducing him is pathetic, and is just a proxy at criticising Dublin, and is in truth just bog standard anti-Dublin vitriol.

I'd agree with your characterisation of Cluxton. Social media is just a cesspit. Look at the non stop abuse and belittlement Mayo get. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I'd agree with your characterisation of Cluxton. Social media is just a cesspit. Look at the non stop abuse and belittlement Mayo get. 

And its totally unjustified. Mayo have kept pace with a very strong Dublin team over the decade, and in fact played them very well on Saturday. Had O'Shea turned Cooper fully in the second half and got through on goal, who knows. The tropes about Mayo will always be lazy, and there will be a nastiness about them, simply for having the "audacity" to be good enough, and confident enough not to make excuses and essentially treat Dublin as "another team". I recall similar comments that used be made about the 2005-2009 Dublin team, and they were no way in the league of the Mayo team of the past decade.

The difficulty with social media is that it is influencing public opinion to a huge extent. And that is why I have been so frustrated at the treatment Cluxton gets from some quarters. Rather than recognising his achievements, its easier to make lazy assumptions about his facial expressions and his speeches.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:12pm

A full gym, wow

Yes a full Gym and four pitches which you fail to mentions because it didn’t suit your narrative that Alan Brogan said the facilities were mediocre which you took as gospel. Ah sure never mind hopefully the GAA throws even more money to Dublin sure they are doing a great job on a tight budget 
A full gym and four pitches are not outstanding facilities 

There are full gyms all over the country

You can only play on one pitch at a time

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:19pm

And its totally unjustified. Mayo have kept pace with a very strong Dublin team over the decade, and in fact played them very well on Saturday. Had O'Shea turned Cooper fully in the second half and got through on goal, who knows. The tropes about Mayo will always be lazy, and there will be a nastiness about them, simply for having the "audacity" to be good enough, and confident enough not to make excuses and essentially treat Dublin as "another team". I recall similar comments that used be made about the 2005-2009 Dublin team, and they were no way in the league of the Mayo team of the past decade.

The difficulty with social media is that it is influencing public opinion to a huge extent. And that is why I have been so frustrated at the treatment Cluxton gets from some quarters. Rather than recognising his achievements, its easier to make lazy assumptions about his facial expressions and his speeches.
Idiocy on social media will always get more attention than sense

Social media by its nature is suited towards one line idiotic black and white statements

Ewan along with other grifters like Parkinson realised this and that's why they get such traction

The whole thing has become a culture war driven by eejits

Even the rules of the game have become a culture war

The black card was an "easy answer" driven by rhetoric

So was the attacking mark, "ah should we not reward catching, it's very attractive", but it's a dog's dinner of a rule

So is the Token Cup driven by social media rhetoric

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:24pm

Fully agree with all of that. Even if Cluxton is as boring as they come (and I have no idea if he is or not) it has no bearing on what winning the All Ireland "means" to him. If it meant as little as what clowns like that try to portray he wouldn't still be making the sacrifices required to play inter county football at the top level at 39 years of age. 

I think that the atmosphere at Mayo v Dublin games between both sets of fans (back in the good old days when we used to be able to go to football matches) is absolutely horrible. There is proper animosity there, both sets of fans as bad as each other, and it is entirely driven by social media.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 56>
  Share Topic