You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA football 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 53545556>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Down in munster anyway we were nearly all delighted outside kerry to see dublin Bridge a large gap. You'd always have a lot cheering for Dublin due to the large partisan crowd that added to the occasion. When Dublin started on their 3/4/5/6 in a row run people simply got sick of seeing the same team over and over again winning it. The leinster championship not even worth watching anymore. I used to cheer for Kilkenny as my second team as half the family are from there but I want nothing more then KK to lose now after they won so much and made the hurling boring for a few years.

On top of that there's the added dislike that dublin as a county received massive special treatment by the GAA not afforded to others. It's just natural lads. If any other county was in your position we'd want them to lose as well. Nothing personal.

On the hurling I'd noticed that Meath and Kildare hurlers were making progress. I can't for the life of me understand why the GAA when they came up with the save hurling in the capital plan, didn't extend it so wicklow, Kildare, Westmeath, Louth and Meath. Give them the exact same treatment and grow the sport in more then just dublin. The same should have applied to the likes of mayo, Antrim, down and kerry where there's already a respectable hurling presence. 
The East Leinster project was specifically aimed at some of those counties. It will take time for the impact of that to be seen. 

Edited by Borussia - 22 Dec 2020 at 8:34pm
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Dublin used to do a scheme where you got a stamp for every league game you attended that guaranteed championship tickets didn’t they? Maybe all counties should just reward the fans who attend most games? Be easy enough to put together and very fair.
I get a ticket now and again for the gaa but I’d give it to a fan who’d attend a lot, I’ve not been bothered with Gaelic football since the late nineties, it’s a totally different game now.
Kind of sounds familiar alright. They have the Parnell Park pass which was great when league games were actually played there but when they changed to Croke Park you had to bring along the pass to change it for a ticket which made it more awkward tbh. In 2011 the week before the final the Dublin county board reopened the Parnell park pass to anyone guaranteeing them a ticket for the final in a week so basically people joined up paying about €200 for the privilege of buying a €70 ticket. Think it was the Parnell Park stand scheme they reopened basically another form of ticket touting 

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 22 Dec 2020 at 8:41pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Dublin used to do a scheme where you got a stamp for every league game you attended that guaranteed championship tickets didn’t they? Maybe all counties should just reward the fans who attend most games? Be easy enough to put together and very fair.
I get a ticket now and again for the gaa but I’d give it to a fan who’d attend a lot, I’ve not been bothered with Gaelic football since the late nineties, it’s a totally different game now.
Kind of sounds familiar alright. They have the Parnell Park pass which was great when league games were actually played there but when they changed to Croke Park you had to bring along the pass to change it for a ticket which made it more awkward tbh. In 2011 the week before the final the Dublin county board reopened the Parnell park pass to anyone guaranteeing them a ticket for the final in a week so basically people joined up paying about €200 for the privilege of buying a €70 ticket. Think it was the Parnell Park stand scheme they reopened basically another form of ticket touting 
I got a Parnell terrace ticket for 120 I think it was the Friday before the Donegal game in 2011

I made plenty use of it for club games too plus it covered the league games

If I remember rightly you could go in to Dorset Street before the first league game and pick up your tickets for all the league games for free
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

There has been a Season Ticket since 2009 so this is already in place really 
I think what oldbilly is referring to is a sort of half assed scheme that was run before this, I'd say it was about 1998 or 1999

I think you had to buy a programme for home league games and there was a cut out token in the programme which "proved" you'd attended these games

I very much doubt many people used this scheme and Dublin didn't get to All-Ireland finals in this time anyway

I can't remember exactly when the Parnell Park pass came in I think it was around 2003/04, I definitely remember cycling over to Parnell Park itself to pick up my ticket for the Mayo semi-final in '06 as I had a pass that year
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

I got a Parnell terrace ticket for 120 I think it was the Friday before the Donegal game in 2011

I made plenty use of it for club games too plus it covered the league games

If I remember rightly you could go in to Dorset Street before the first league game and pick up your tickets for all the league games for free
Yeah that’s what you had to do alright! It just meant you couldn’t really decide to go last minute and drive to Parnell you had to have it well planned in advance during the week for the Croke Park games

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 22 Dec 2020 at 9:23pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Down in munster anyway we were nearly all delighted outside kerry to see dublin Bridge a large gap. You'd always have a lot cheering for Dublin due to the large partisan crowd that added to the occasion. When Dublin started on their 3/4/5/6 in a row run people simply got sick of seeing the same team over and over again winning it. The leinster championship not even worth watching anymore. I used to cheer for Kilkenny as my second team as half the family are from there but I want nothing more then KK to lose now after they won so much and made the hurling boring for a few years.

On top of that there's the added dislike that dublin as a county received massive special treatment by the GAA not afforded to others. It's just natural lads. If any other county was in your position we'd want them to lose as well. Nothing personal.

On the hurling I'd noticed that Meath and Kildare hurlers were making progress. I can't for the life of me understand why the GAA when they came up with the save hurling in the capital plan, didn't extend it so wicklow, Kildare, Westmeath, Louth and Meath. Give them the exact same treatment and grow the sport in more then just dublin. The same should have applied to the likes of mayo, Antrim, down and kerry where there's already a respectable hurling presence. 
The East Leinster project was specifically aimed at some of those counties. It will take time for the impact of that to be seen. 
I get that but that project came 15 years after dublin got the preferential treatment. It should have been included day and date with dublin. And it doesn't include all the counties I mentioned either. It's also a pale shadow of the investment into Dublin. Almost a token gesture to what the capital gets. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:03am

I do find that there is a sizeable portion of the Dublin following who get far more joy from others' misery than actually winning. Last year's semi final was absolutely dreadful with the abuse levelled at us in the Cusack.

But for all that we got plenty of commiserations, pats on the back etc after 2016 and 2017. Unfortunately Sid, I think the ridiculous FB and Twitter sh*te actually rubs off on a certain portion in real life. 

Those FB/Twitter Dublin pages are bandwagoning, knuckle dragging f'#kwits, blow in retards. They have some obsession with Mayo because they were never at a game before 2012. I had a good at some of them in the Quays Bar last year after the final replay while drinking with Evan Comerford and they started trying to sing some stupid song about Mayo. We just beat Kerry FFS.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:13am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I do find that there is a sizeable portion of the Dublin following who get far more joy from others' misery than actually winning. Last year's semi final was absolutely dreadful with the abuse levelled at us in the Cusack.

But for all that we got plenty of commiserations, pats on the back etc after 2016 and 2017. Unfortunately Sid, I think the ridiculous FB and Twitter sh*te actually rubs off on a certain portion in real life. 

Those FB/Twitter Dublin pages are bandwagoning, knuckle dragging f'#kwits, blow in retards. They have some obsession with Mayo because they were never at a game before 2012. I had a good at some of them in the Quays Bar last year after the final replay while drinking with Evan Comerford and they started trying to sing some stupid song about Mayo. We just beat Kerry FFS.

Probably the same lads with that ridiculous flag up in Omagh
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:43am

I get that but that project came 15 years after dublin got the preferential treatment. It should have been included day and date with dublin. And it doesn't include all the counties I mentioned either. It's also a pale shadow of the investment into Dublin. Almost a token gesture to what the capital gets. 
and yet there wasn't enough interest in Wicklow to fully take up the help offered from this "token gesture".....
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Is there really that much animosity between Dublin and Mayo supporters though?

I mean in real life, not in these ludicrous Facebook groups

I only experienced any animosity from Mayo supporters once, after the 2016 All-Ireland replay

But I've certainly experienced animosity from Dublin supporters, one eejit on Hill 16 tried to reef me during the second half of the Donegal game in 2014 just because I pointed out that Dublin were being run ragged tactically, which was a statement of the bleedin' obvious

Had loads of great conversations with Mayo people after the other matches since 2006

I presume if you go looking for arseholes you'll find them

I'm not sure there's even as much animosity as there was between Kerry and Tyrone supporters in the 00s, that could get fairly needly, especially in '08

I think there is a wing of fans that are buoyed by it, on both sides. Its a new rivalry. In the 1990s Dublin's peak coincided with a miss in the streaming of the AI Semi Finals, and a team that lost to Leitrim in 1994. On the other hand as Dublin declined after 1995, Mayo were on the rise. In the late 1990s Mayo were in the Top two or three in the Country. By 1997, it would have been a hard sell to suggest Dublin were top 10.

If anything, the 2006 game probably still has more to it than we think, as it was, in reality, for the chance to be beaten by a top Kerry team. I have no doubt in certain fans minds, an average Mayo team acting as "wind up merchants", and a psychologically suspect Dublin team responding created a little division whereby there is a view these were rivals, when in fact there was little recent history between the teams. Remarkably, if Dublin had kept their composure at that time, and played for more than 20 minutes, that was a winnable game. But I think some fans probably look historically at that.

And then there is the imputation of mentality from other sports like soccer, by newer fans who think this is the way to behave. I'm not going to pretend that Dubliners couldn't act the maggot before 2010, trust me, I say it. One particular follower sticks out in my mind, and I recall their constant presence at matches after the turn of the millennium. And at least that was just lip.  But its responding to what is a modern Dublin v Kerry, or Kerry v Tyrone rivalry.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:12pm

and yet there wasn't enough interest in Wicklow to fully take up the help offered from this "token gesture".....

Because they couldn't afford to pay for half the GPO? Surely that highlights how these clubs need GAA intervention even more. 

Lads I think Mayo get the most stick off Dublin fans because they've put it up to them the most over the years. So you'll get a reaction and some banter back from them. You're not going to get that sl*gging off meath or Kildare because there fans have long since given up on the big ball. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 10:52am
Laochra Gael last night on Kevin Cassidy was a good show
Had never seen that interview before when they were asking Jim McGuinness about Cassidy possibly ever returning to the fold, after a match on TG4 which Cassidy was doing punditry work at and was literally standing two yards away! How awkward

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Laochra Gael last night on Kevin Cassidy was a good show
Had never seen that interview before when they were asking Jim McGuinness about Cassidy possibly ever returning to the fold, after a match on TG4 which Cassidy was doing punditry work at and was literally standing two yards away! How awkward

I saw that live

Was it a match between Donegal and Laois in Ballyshannon, I think Laois won fairly well too

I was squirming watching it
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 11:05am
Yeah think it was Ballyshannon
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 11:18am
That game was in Letterkenny but it was Donegal v Laois yeah. McGuinness fairly changed his stance after that by asking Cassidy back about a month or so later. Cassidy missed out on the all Ireland but in the long run he’s benefited from being dropped and the publicity that came with it. Very good watch last night so it was.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 11:21am
He's bound to always regret missing out on that All Ireland winning campaign at least a little bit, regardless of it prolonging his club career
Was hard to tell if he was right or left footed last night when watching clips of him, scored some crackers off both feet
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 11:27am
Ah of course there must be always that thought of missing out on the all Ireland. Himself and Michael Hegarty were the only two starters from the 2011 team to miss out. But I’m talking about him benefitting in terms that he got in with tg4, he was on the Sunday game often enough there for a few years and opened a hugely successful Irish college along with the pub so he’s doing very week for himself. He took the gaoth dobhair job for the year ahead too. 
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 4:46pm
he seems like a decent enough fella. never knew he was scottish!!!! no hint of any accent left anyway.

Edited by Dugs - 08 Jan 2021 at 4:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 53545556>
  Share Topic