You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Rugby World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 59>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

To be fair, none of the games cancelled so far will have any material outcome on the tournament.

It is ridiculous tho that they couldn't have moved the games to the other side of the country, put it on behind closed doors or something. One of the stadiums is indoor isn't it? I'd imagine if it happened during the knockout stage they'd have found a way.

course they could have. France/England. who is to say France could not have won that game and topped the group. If Japan/Scotland game is called off then this whole comp is ruined.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:21am
Hard to believe they couldn't have rescheduled the games either at a different location or a couple of days later given there's a week gap to the quarters. There's big squads, utilise them.

It shows it up as the farce it is running a 'World Cup' for a sport where there's such a gap between the top tier and the rest. It's tokenism having them in. If Scotland Japan is cancelled then it loses any shred of credibility it has left. 

Everyone knows Italy had no chance but cancelling a game that technically wasn't a dead rubber is farcical. Makes a mockery of the concept of fair play. Just play it two days later. Move the quarter final out by a day. Surely that's a solution? I understand players in a physical game needing rest but that's what squads are for.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 10 Oct 2019 at 9:22am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:28am
i hear about contingency plans they had in place. what contingency plans. just cancel the games. thats not a plan. move them a day or two and if needs be put back the quarters/semsi/final etc an extra day or two. surely this could have been arranged with tv companies or any other commercial interest before the tournament started given the fact they would have known about the possibility of weather interuption.
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:31am
Farcical indeed. And then they seem to over emphasise the fact that the tickets will be refunded. As if that's going to help any of the fans that forked out a fortune to be there. I'm sure the 80 quid back will really help the fans affected....
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Farcical indeed. And then they seem to over emphasise the fact that the tickets will be refunded. As if that's going to help any of the fans that forked out a fortune to be there. I'm sure the 80 quid back will really help the fans affected....

Japan is extremely expensive so the refund of tickets doesn’t cover it.
Surely they could delay the match by one/two days and/or move to a different city.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:53am
I just heard the newsLOLLOLLOL
What a farce!     Could they not have played the games a few days later or even in Korea?

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

That was certainly the most amusing part of that shambolic statement released!

Absolute jokeshop situation though. Who would have thought organising a global sporting event smack bang in the middle of a country's typhoon season wouldn't be a great idea? This RWC will be having an asterisk beside it now - whether the other games are called off too or not. Congratulations to Italy on their first ever draw with NZ though - they must be thrilled!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:28am
That World Rugby crowd, are they like the IOC committee in Calgary 88 changing the rules as they go so the minnows have no chance to qualify and leaving the big teams to win it?

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:58pm
Now I’m one of rugby’s biggest defenders here, but this really is a shambles, and I can o my find the smallest number o people actually defending it.

Conor O’Shea has summed it up with with the sheer disappointment of the whole thing, as some teams are being forced to accept their lot.

A proper Plan B would have contingency to move the game to a
Regulation location, where the match would be played, even in front of a half or three quarter empty stadium. Or on a regulation surface, with appropriate and independent officials observing the game. It’s a logistics nightmare, but it can be overcome. Plan C should then be the abandoning of the games, and that should be in the event that a “failsafe” fails.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:25pm
Having group winners and runner ups decided by abandoned games, with some teams now getting much more rest than others is a farce.If Scotland get eliminated by an abandoned game it moves up a notch to a disgrace.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Now I’m one of rugby’s biggest defenders here, but this really is a shambles, and I can o my find the smallest number o people actually defending it.

Conor O’Shea has summed it up with with the sheer disappointment of the whole thing, as some teams are being forced to accept their lot.

A proper Plan B would have contingency to move the game to a
Regulation location, where the match would be played, even in front of a half or three quarter empty stadium. Or on a regulation surface, with appropriate and independent officials observing the game. It’s a logistics nightmare, but it can be overcome. Plan C should then be the abandoning of the games, and that should be in the event that a “failsafe” fails.

Are you talking about a backstop to the backstop?

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

whoever wins this tournament now its tainted for me. these cancelled games could have had an effect on the outcome so its not real for me from now on. absolute joke.

I'll let the winning team know that in an asylum in the Demcoratic Republic of YBIG, there is a fan that thinks the tournament was tainted and your winnning cup is worthless Big smile
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 6:52pm
Eddie O'Sullivan on RTE news now saying cancelling the likes of Italy v NZ is grand but if one of the established nations games are called off then its a farce.

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:57am
Rugby is a small time sport and they're doing a good job proving it. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:24am
https://twitter.com/brianmoore666/status/1182355309337153537?s=19

By the following account NZ didn't wish to play games on another day Italy were quite happy to 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:49am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

A sport where they've always treated friendlies like competitive games and now they're treating competitive games as friendlies. The rugby world is very strange...
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

A sport where they've always treated friendlies like competitive games and now they're treating competitive games as friendlies. The rugby world is very strange...
LOL Excellent description 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

https://twitter.com/brianmoore666/status/1182355309337153537?s=19

By the following account NZ didn't wish to play games on another day Italy were quite happy to 

Just when you thought NZ couldn't get any more dislikeable...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 59>
  Share Topic