You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Rugby World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 59>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It’s not to appease anybody! That’s our flag in rugby, it’s hardly the end of the world. If you want a UI you will have to get used to not having a tricolour.

Strange that no other country feels the need for a separate ‘rugby’ flag and anthem
A very partitionist attitude.

Well that's a very appeaser attitude.

The only other example I can think of where a country has a different flag for sport is Taiwan, who are called Chinese Taipei in order not to upset China.  Hardly a positive example

I struggle to be lectured by somebody on a forum dedicated to a sport which is inherently partitionist. One might say the rugby community are well ahead of soccer in terms of the goal of a United Ireland.

Okay then.  Who here thinks dropping the tricolour for a flag and Amhrán na bhFiann for a national anthem is a price worth paying for a united Ireland soccer team?

What symbolises a UI May change when the time comes. In reverse, would you reject a UI if the symbols didn’t come with it?
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:36pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It’s not to appease anybody! That’s our flag in rugby, it’s hardly the end of the world. If you want a UI you will have to get used to not having a tricolour.

Strange that no other country feels the need for a separate ‘rugby’ flag and anthem
A very partitionist attitude.

Well that's a very appeaser attitude.

The only other example I can think of where a country has a different flag for sport is Taiwan, who are called Chinese Taipei in order not to upset China.  Hardly a positive example

I struggle to be lectured by somebody on a forum dedicated to a sport which is inherently partitionist. One might say the rugby community are well ahead of soccer in terms of the goal of a United Ireland.

Okay then.  Who here thinks dropping the tricolour for a flag and Amhrán na bhFiann for a national anthem is a price worth paying for a united Ireland soccer team?

I would. I'm attached to both but not so much that I would reject a united team over it. I'd rather a united team under the IFA too.

I'd give them up in a heart beat if it politically meant a United Ireland. As I say I am attached to both but ultimately it's a bit of cloth and a song.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Very surprised by articles I've read in the past few weeks. Every one of the Irish rugger journalists talking about Ireland needing to peak for that huge QF clash against NZ or SA. Now I wouldn't be backing the Scots to beat anyone as they are flakey as f*ck, but they have some good players and the potential to beat an Irish side with little to no form. If the Scots do it, there will be incredible pressure on Ireland against Japan and even a win in that one wouldn't guarantee top 2 (quite easily be a 3 way tie at the top of the group then). 

It's like the Irish rugby side haven't been here before! The talk about QF matches before playing a match. Setting themselves up for a fall. Japan as hosts will give this an almighty rattle. It's one of only 2 groups with 3 teams vying for 2 QF spots imo. I reckon the Japanese will make the QF.

The problem for Scotland is their pack - they have some exciting backs alright but if Ireland starve them of possession up front, as they have done successfully on many an occasion already under Schmidt, then it's not a whole lot of use to them. Like many of Ireland's games it won't be particularly aesthetically pleasing, but they should have too much for them upfront.

I agree and I think Ireland will try the same against the Japanese. Absolutely bludgeon them up front. 

I just think this mindset of talking about the QF tie is silly. Lose to Scotland and it's very much up the air what will happen in the group.

Imo I think the Japanese will beat Scotland in their last group game to qualify. They are being dismissed way too easily. Especially as hosts.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Very surprised by articles I've read in the past few weeks. Every one of the Irish rugger journalists talking about Ireland needing to peak for that huge QF clash against NZ or SA. Now I wouldn't be backing the Scots to beat anyone as they are flakey as f*ck, but they have some good players and the potential to beat an Irish side with little to no form. If the Scots do it, there will be incredible pressure on Ireland against Japan and even a win in that one wouldn't guarantee top 2 (quite easily be a 3 way tie at the top of the group then). 

It's like the Irish rugby side haven't been here before! The talk about QF matches before playing a match. Setting themselves up for a fall. Japan as hosts will give this an almighty rattle. It's one of only 2 groups with 3 teams vying for 2 QF spots imo. I reckon the Japanese will make the QF.

The problem for Scotland is their pack - they have some exciting backs alright but if Ireland starve them of possession up front, as they have done successfully on many an occasion already under Schmidt, then it's not a whole lot of use to them. Like many of Ireland's games it won't be particularly aesthetically pleasing, but they should have too much for them upfront.

I agree and I think Ireland will try the same against the Japanese. Absolutely bludgeon them up front. 

I just think this mindset of talking about the QF tie is silly. Lose to Scotland and it's very much up the air what will happen in the group.

Imo I think the Japanese will beat Scotland in their last group game to qualify. They are being dismissed way too easily. Especially as hosts.

Hosting is not as game changing as it is at the football World Cup. Hosts and joint hosts have fallen at the first hurdle before.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:51pm
The risk is that the Scotland game is called off by bad weather and we effectively have to score more than the Scots over the remaining games. That's a far bigger crap shoot.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:55pm
The dirge anthem and tainted flag can go immediately. Unite Ireland team and country all the way.

Expecting unionists to play a sport or start a new era in a reunited country under ROI symbols and tunes is unrealistic.

It will be give and take.Northern unionists will probably be able to retain their British nationality for a few generations.There's some chance the reunited Ireland would be in the commonwealth etc.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 5:13pm
Leo Thatcher and the rest of his cronies are more British then the DUP, whilst some are actively working on re-joining the Commonwealth.

FG will never call or support a border poll. Never. If and I mean a big IF they do call one, they will make it completely unacceptable to the Southern electorate.

Michael Martin is another anti Republican partitionist.

Each one of them will happily kick that can down the road.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 7:04pm
I can't see us losing to Japan tbh.

In terms of the Scotland game I think our approach to that game will depend on the game the day before. 

If NZ win then we'll be wanting to win to avoid them, as you'd expect we'd rather play South Africa over them. (even if SA top the group) 

Edited by lassassinblanc - 17 Sep 2019 at 7:05pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 7:31pm
Ireland shouldn’t give a f**k about the other group, if they are thinking like that, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all, then we may well go out in the groups. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:41pm
Only on YBIG does a thread about the rugby WC descend into posts about border polls, anthems, flegs, and a UI Clap
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:51pm
How long have Guinness owned rugby?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:54pm
Flag should be green, white and orange with a miniature union Jack over the green. That should appease everyone? Big smile
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:56pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:04pm
Half Ireland flag, half Union Jack with a big love heart in the middle
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Only on YBIG does a thread about the rugby WC descend into posts about border polls, anthems, flegs, and a UI Clap

My thoughts exactly. 

To add to the argument I think they should just get a kid from each county to make a flag and then have a referendum to choose the best one. 

In terms of the anthem we can have a voice /x factor type show, Dana, Louis Walsh, Linda Martin and Brian Kennedy can be the judges
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

My thoughts exactly. 

To add to the argument I think they should just get a kid from each county to make a flag and then have a referendum to choose the best one. 

In terms of the anthem we can have a voice /x factor type show, Dana, Louis Walsh, Linda Martin and Brian Kennedy can be the judges
Shocked no Johnny Logan 
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How long have Guinness owned rugby?
Since 1759
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:12pm
Just as long as Phil Coulter isn't involved.Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 59>
  Share Topic