You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Rugby World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 59>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:31pm
Is football the only sport drawn up on partitionist lines?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Doesn’t the GAA have an Ulster championship?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Doesn’t the GAA have an Ulster championship?

Before becoming the All Ireland series, and Donegal/Cavan and Monaghan all play in Ulster.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:34pm
LOL
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:01pm
Plenty of Northern Irish athletes, with no connection to Britain, have competed for the misnamed "Team GB" in the Olympics.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:36pm

It’s not to appease anybody! That’s our flag in rugby, it’s hardly the end of the world. If you want a UI you will have to get used to not having a tricolour.

Strange that no other country feels the need for a separate ‘rugby’ flag and anthem
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:55pm
The Heineken RWC ad, with Keith Wood in it. ''You don't have to understand it all, to enjoy it all'' it says at the end. 

They nearly got it right, although ''You don't have to understand any of it'' would probably alienate the true rugby fans to an extent. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

It’s not to appease anybody! That’s our flag in rugby, it’s hardly the end of the world. If you want a UI you will have to get used to not having a tricolour.

Strange that no other country feels the need for a separate ‘rugby’ flag and anthem
A very partitionist attitude.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 1:43am
Very surprised by articles I've read in the past few weeks. Every one of the Irish rugger journalists talking about Ireland needing to peak for that huge QF clash against NZ or SA. Now I wouldn't be backing the Scots to beat anyone as they are flakey as f*ck, but they have some good players and the potential to beat an Irish side with little to no form. If the Scots do it, there will be incredible pressure on Ireland against Japan and even a win in that one wouldn't guarantee top 2 (quite easily be a 3 way tie at the top of the group then). 

It's like the Irish rugby side haven't been here before! The talk about QF matches before playing a match. Setting themselves up for a fall. Japan as hosts will give this an almighty rattle. It's one of only 2 groups with 3 teams vying for 2 QF spots imo. I reckon the Japanese will make the QF.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:47am
I'm no Rugby expert but surely Ireland will beat Japan easily enough. Scotland are fairly sh*te also I'd say.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:52am
J
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I'm no Rugby expert but surely Ireland will beat Japan easily enough. Scotland are fairly sh*te also I'd say.
Scotland have a very good first fifteen, if a little unpredictable. Having them first was the worst possible time to get them. They will be fully fit and up for it. They also have little to lose, unless they get yanked. However, it seems the weather out there will be less suited to their entertaining approach. They have been the most entertaining team to watch over the past few years.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:20am

Well that's a very appeaser attitude.

The only other example I can think of where a country has a different flag for sport is Taiwan, who are called Chinese Taipei in order not to upset China.  Hardly a positive example

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:26am

The only other example I can think of where a country has a different flag for sport is Taiwan, who are called Chinese Taipei in order not to upset China.  Hardly a positive example

Ireland is split in two, you might not like that and I can understand it, but telling people how they should be represented is part of the problem. You either try and empathise with the community that doesn’t share your outlook or accept the status quo. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:31am

I struggle to be lectured by somebody on a forum dedicated to a sport which is inherently partitionist. One might say the rugby community are well ahead of soccer in terms of the goal of a United Ireland.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:12am

They're different countries.

The tricolour represents 26 counties.
The Northern Ireland flag represents 6 counties.
Ireland Rugby Flag represents 26 counties plus 6 counties.

Surely "newrynyuk" can understand that. Wink
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:21am
On behalf of the moderators of YBIG I have been instructed to deliver the following good luck message to the EIRE Rugby Team:

''YBIG and all its contributors and kin would like to express our deepest wishes of fortune to the EIRE Rugby Team at the World Cup.  We may not be at the stadiums to cheer you on but are with you in spirit and our support strong as anyone in Japan.  Bring it home guys!''

Signed:  Lord Trap Junior Esquire IV (Founder of YBIG)       Deise 'Dessie' 316 (Moderator and rugby journalist)
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Very surprised by articles I've read in the past few weeks. Every one of the Irish rugger journalists talking about Ireland needing to peak for that huge QF clash against NZ or SA. Now I wouldn't be backing the Scots to beat anyone as they are flakey as f*ck, but they have some good players and the potential to beat an Irish side with little to no form. If the Scots do it, there will be incredible pressure on Ireland against Japan and even a win in that one wouldn't guarantee top 2 (quite easily be a 3 way tie at the top of the group then). 

It's like the Irish rugby side haven't been here before! The talk about QF matches before playing a match. Setting themselves up for a fall. Japan as hosts will give this an almighty rattle. It's one of only 2 groups with 3 teams vying for 2 QF spots imo. I reckon the Japanese will make the QF.

The problem for Scotland is their pack - they have some exciting backs alright but if Ireland starve them of possession up front, as they have done successfully on many an occasion already under Schmidt, then it's not a whole lot of use to them. Like many of Ireland's games it won't be particularly aesthetically pleasing, but they should have too much for them upfront.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:17pm

I struggle to be lectured by somebody on a forum dedicated to a sport which is inherently partitionist. One might say the rugby community are well ahead of soccer in terms of the goal of a United Ireland.

Okay then.  Who here thinks dropping the tricolour for a flag and Amhrán na bhFiann for a national anthem is a price worth paying for a united Ireland soccer team?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 59>
  Share Topic