You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 12 Oct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 52>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We recognize that McClean is a limited footballer, it's his work ethic that is admirable. It was his never say die attitude and got the ball back and provided the assist for McGoldrick to get a point against the Swiss.

He covers most of the pitch and is defensively better that what we have on the bench too.
Apart from that, he hasn't been great at all. Whose there to replace him? O'Dowda doesn't play for his club and Judge is on the bench a lot at L1.

McClean will play against the Swiss - no doubt about it.

Why are they in the squad then?

Do you honestly think playing Connolly in McClean's place yesterday wouldn't have improved us?

I agree with your final point. If McClean's fit he plays, no matter what.

Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:28am
Their in the squad because they are the best players available.

Mick choose his squad and their the players he'd picked, I wouldn't have picked Judge myself. Each manager will pick his players and fans will no doubt give out about it.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:37am

Mick choose his squad and their the players he'd picked, I wouldn't have picked Judge myself. Each manager will pick his players and fans will no doubt give out about it.
They are not the best players available their is better he refused to pick them 
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:44am
We may underestimate the effect Micks contract has on his attitude. Of course he wants to qualify etc, but if not he wants a new club job. If he lost yesterday then a loss in Switzerland would have meant our qualifying campaign ending in two days time. That point yesterday means it goes to the last game no matter what. Thats a much better story for Mick to tell to prospective employers if we dont qualify. This has to have crossed his /Terry Connor's minds.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:48am

We recognize that McClean is a limited footballer, it's his work ethic that is admirable. It was his never say die attitude and got the ball back and provided the assist for McGoldrick to get a point against the Swiss.

He covers most of the pitch and is defensively better that what we have on the bench too.
Apart from that, he hasn't been great at all. Whose there to replace him? O'Dowda doesn't play for his club and Judge is on the bench a lot at L1.

McClean will play against the Swiss - no doubt about it.

He was horrendous in the 80 minutes before. 
I think his energy would be best served as a sub with 10 minutes to go. He would give a lift in some games when chasing wins and we need to get a bit chaotic. 
When trying to build play up, he is a liability as he cannot control or pass the ball

I think Connolly and Robinson could play either side of McGoldrick as a front 3.

Edited by t_rAndy - 13 Oct 2019 at 10:50am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Who are these players?

Again, each person will have their own opinion on these so called better players!
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 11:23am

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Who are these players?

Again, each person will have their own opinion on these so called better players!
I agree with you each lad will have opinions or players.
But long and McCarthy are 2 whos experience alone should have them in the squad.
Even obafemi would have been an option against Georgia.

It was pace that got us a lot of our chances in the last 10 minutes nothing else.

I can’t see how McCarthy can be so stubborn   
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 11:35am
McCarthy excluded himself from the squad, and he has not played 90 mins in over 3 years.

When the squad was announced Long played very little football if any, hence his exclusion, although I would have played him myself instead of Collins.

I don't rate Obafemi, we will see how he develops.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:03pm
Obafemi didn't start for the 21's last Thursday.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

A front 3 of obafemi, long, Connolly would have been a better option than the 3 yesterday. Wouldn' be hard obviously.

Not sure how much of the ball they'd see, but that would be one of the quickest forward lines in international football. Big smile

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Obafemi didn't start for the 21's last Thursday.
I know he didn’t but then he is the only one getting game time in the premier league so each manager is different.
Him and and Connolly would have been a real problem in the last half hour yesterday.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:34pm
Obafemi would thrive more in the senior set up than in the under 21s imo.

We play a brand of long ball into the channels or often direct down the throat of the oppositions centre halfs, his pace and build is perfect for our way of playing.

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

A front 3 of obafemi, long, Connolly would have been a better option than the 3 yesterday. Wouldn' be hard obviously.

How Shane Long was not deemed a better option than James Collins is a complete mystery. It is unfair on the two young lads and especially Connolly to expect so much. Off the bench is fine at the moment but I know options are slim. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:42pm
The Collins experiment failed miserably
He cannot start again anytime soon, let alone on Tuesday night 

I’d have 5 or 6 strikers ahead of him
Skelly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:10pm

Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Mcclean is f**king sh*t and needs to be dropped. He would be better as an impact sub if we were losing and chasing a goal as that is the only time he does anything of note

It's our own fault for letting Nordies have Irish passports ffs

What a w**ker comment.
+1

Who else shouldn't be 'let have' passports?
We all dream of a team of Gary Breens
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Skelly Skelly wrote:

Mcclean is f**king sh*t and needs to be dropped. He would be better as an impact sub if we were losing and chasing a goal as that is the only time he does anything of note

What a w**ker comment.
+1

absolute C**Ts comment 
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by daveyc daveyc wrote:

Originally posted by Skelly Skelly wrote:

What a w**ker comment.
+1

absolute C**Ts comment 

I can only think of members of the DUP who plan on using them for their own convenience after Brexit. 

It was a very stupid comment (maybe tongue in cheek?) that can only be excused, if it can be? by the frustrations of yesterdays match.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:23pm

McCarthy excluded himself from the squad, and he has not played 90 mins in over 3 years.

When the squad was announced Long played very little football if any, hence his exclusion, although I would have played him myself instead of Collins.

I don't rate Obafemi, we will see how he develops.

Fair enough regards McCarthy but this should be the last time he is left out
Long has more than enough played to merit including in the squad 
Obafemi might not be great but he is quick and direct this will cause team’s problems and with the way we play he would get plenty of space to run into and worst he would win us a few set pieces and there is no way he offers less than Collins 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 52>
  Share Topic