You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 12 Oct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 52>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Would rather Duffy fit for the Swiss.

Start with Long and Egan against Georgia and bring Duffy on with twenty to go if we need a goal or if we need to defend a lead. 

That could help to get him up to speed for Switzerland on Tuesday. 

The Georgia game is by far the bigger game.

Win that and the Swiss match will maybe be a free shot, with no risk attached to losing. This depends on switzerland getting a result in Denmark.

Surprising that so many ppl on here havent grasped that yet

I’m more worried that he might not be fit for Georgia. 
He hasn’t played for three weeks. 
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 7:09pm
Imagine we only went and qualified with a game to spare.
But no, we are Ireland, we will be scraping it out in the nations league play offs come March no doubt!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Would rather Duffy fit for the Swiss.

Start with Long and Egan against Georgia and bring Duffy on with twenty to go if we need a goal or if we need to defend a lead. 

That could help to get him up to speed for Switzerland on Tuesday. 

The Georgia game is by far the bigger game.

Win that and the Swiss match will maybe be a free shot, with no risk attached to losing. This depends on switzerland getting a result in Denmark.

Surprising that so many ppl on here havent grasped that yet

Exactly. In fact if we beat Georgia and Denmark beat the Swiss we could qualify on Tuesday if we managed to fluke it.

The Irish way

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Georgia have a seriously blunt attack, no real need to risk Duffy against them

So do we. Duffy is our biggest goal threat that's likely to start.
I was thinking the same. If he's on the bench and we need a goal you'd nearly bring him on for the last half hour just for set pieces alone
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Problem is, a disaster in Georgia has been waiting for some time. The amount of times we’ve robbed points out there is amazing. It’s  It an easy game, and in reality we need our best players on both nights.

No it hasn’t. We had a disaster there last time.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

But no, we are Ireland, we will be scraping it out in the nations league play offs come March no doubt!

This should be the intention.

We'll likely be away from home for two play-off games against teams better than Georgia but slightly worse than Switzerland - say Wales and Austria as a random example. 

Will we find that any easier than these two games? I don't think so.

If we beat the Georgian's and the Swiss avoid defeat or win in Denmark, then Tuesday's game is pretty much a free swipe for either team to qualify. Win in Tbilisi and we should go hell for leather in Geneva.

I know how limited we are, but how f**king sweet would it be to win our last two games and know that we'd be qualified and that so long as we avoided defeat to those cocky Danish bastards at home, that we'd knock them out too?

Wishful thinking I know.

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:05pm

We'll likely be away from home for two play-off games against teams better than Georgia but slightly worse than Switzerland - say Wales and Austria as a random example. 

If we beat the Georgian's and the Swiss avoid defeat or win in Denmark, then Tuesday's game is pretty much a free swipe for either team to qualify. Win in Tbilisi and we should go hell for leather in Geneva.

I know how limited we are, but how f**king sweet would it be to win our last two games and know that we'd be qualified and that so long as we avoided defeat to those cocky Danish bastards at home, that we'd knock them out too?

Wishful thinking I know.

Excuse my ignorance here - never grasped the NL/play-off scenario fully - but you’re saying we’ll have to play two different teams in any play-off scenario, yes? 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Wishful thinking I know.

Excuse my ignorance here - never grasped the NL/play-off scenario fully - but you’re saying we’ll have to play two different teams in any play-off scenario, yes? 

Two single legged play-offs against a similar standard of team, most likely to be played away or in a neutral venue is my understanding. (Can't predict whether we're home or away until all regular qualifying spots are decided I think).
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Problem is, a disaster in Georgia has been waiting for some time. The amount of times we’ve robbed points out there is amazing. It’s  It an easy game, and in reality we need our best players on both nights.

No it hasn’t. We had a disaster there last time.

That was no disaster. We got a point, when we should have lost 5-0. We may have had a few smash and grabs in that group, but that point was daylight robbery.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:25am

Wishful thinking I know.

Two single legged play-offs against a similar standard of team, most likely to be played away or in a neutral venue is my understanding. (Can't predict whether we're home or away until all regular qualifying spots are decided I think).

I see, cheers. Wasn’t there some mention that we were likely to play the North? 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:49am

Wishful thinking I know.

Technically possible but unlikely 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:10am
Lads talking about Duffy not playing Saturday. 

Georgia is our next game and our biggest game to date. On paper we aren't expected to get anything away to Switzerland. 

I'm absolutely buzzing that Duffy is fit, HUGE news.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Wishful thinking I know.

Technically possible but unlikely 

Cheers for that 
CSCD View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 12:38pm
-------------------Randolph
Coleman----Duffy----Egan-----Doherty
----Hendrick---Whelan---Hourihane
-----Robinson---Collins---McClean

Browne will probably come on for Whelan around 65th.

Who is all a booking away from suspension?

Edited by CSCD - 11 Oct 2019 at 12:39pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 1:02pm
Doubt it.
I'd say Cullen will come on if we are winning or Byrne if we are losing.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
RobsYourUncle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by CSCD CSCD wrote:

Browne will probably come on for Whelan around 65th.

Who is all a booking away from suspension?
Duffy, Judge, Hourihane and McClean are all on 1 yellow, but we've nobody on 2 so we should have a full selection for Switz regardless of any bookings picked up tomorrow.
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:48pm
This was the game I was worried most about when I seen the draw . Teams like this can decide a group.  They were always going to take points of at least one of the top 3 seeds . Let's hope its only Denmark. I really believe if we win this game we'll qualify 
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by CSCD CSCD wrote:

This is the team that will, start - although I wouldn’t be shocked if Connolly started instead of Collins. The rest of them are nailed-on to start, surely. 

Fancy us by 2-0 or 2-1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 52>
  Share Topic