Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 12 Oct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 52>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:19am
Can we coin a moniker for the current Irish management setup like MONKEANO?

How about McKeano.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:29am
When is Mick picking the squad?
The dark side.. And the light
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i was at the mcgeady game and we never looked like winning it , 
the last game out there was a mess too . 

if we can get three points out there then I think mick will have earned his coin regardless of what comes afterwards , this is a tough fixture 

They really should have beaten us at least once over the recent games. Hopefully our luck continues in Threeblisi 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Can we coin a moniker for the current Irish management setup like MONKEANO?

How about McKeano.
If Roy was the tea boy for MON, Robbie certainly is for Mick. TC is the assistant.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:48am
oh my God that last game in Georgia i think was possibly one of the worst games I have ever seen Ireland play. I even wrote on here that i would put it up with 5-2 defeat in Cyprus and i still stand by that. remember duffy put us ahead early on and we just stopped playing straight away. we couldnt even pass the ball 2 yards to each other. we were so bad that evening. i was utterly disgusted. no way can we ever be that bad again. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

oh my God that last game in Georgia i think was possibly one of the worst games I have ever seen Ireland play. I even wrote on here that i would put it up with 5-2 defeat in Cyprus and i still stand by that. remember duffy put us ahead early on and we just stopped playing straight away. we couldnt even pass the ball 2 yards to each other. we were so bad that evening. i was utterly disgusted. no way can we ever be that bad again. 

I always thought it was one of Whelan’s poorest performances in an Irish shirt. After that, O’Neill dropped him, I think.

I always felt Georgia were a little surprised how direct we were in March after dominating the last two games and really putting it up to us in Dublin in 2015.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:51am
We have said it before;but they are due a win against us. We've absolutely robbed points from them down the years. 

AS YOU WERE McGx

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:59am
Can’t see it happening but the energy of a young Josh Cullen vs one of Hendrick, Whelan or Hourihane in that sapping heat could make a difference. 

As one poster pointed out, Whelan probably won’t last the 90 minutes in both games so it will be interesting to see what Mick does.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:01pm
October in Tbilisi shouldnt be too warm. 18-21 perhaps.
AS YOU WERE McGx

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:12pm
Yeah it was definitely sticky the last two times we were out there which definitely suited them more than us. That should make a positive difference in the next game. We were marginally the better side when we faced them here in March and I wouldn't be massively upset with a similar performance, albeit of course we did need the free kick to win it.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Yeah it was definitely sticky the last two times we were out there which definitely suited them more than us. That should make a positive difference in the next game. We were marginally the better side when we faced them here in March and I wouldn't be massively upset with a similar performance, albeit of course we did need the free kick to win it.

Ah here. 3-0 would have been a more fair scoreline that night
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:21pm
Had a good feed of Guinness after the game last night, now I would bet a wet wipe to a jacks roll that if I took a good shoite in a bucket sirmolexorial would be along with his spoon to stir the fckin thing
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Hans, it is joined up thinking. I take the point (I think you made before) that change should have happened in early 2018. I have a lot of opinions on what may have transpired differently had we done so, including England’s current DM staying with us and becoming our DM. Having said that MONROY were likely to be given a further year. That year was the build year, as unless you put any stock in the NL and the five friendlies we played, last year was our “free hit”. 

McCarthy has “been there-done that”, and was likely to be able to plug the gap where we would have no friendly matches before the Gibraltar and Georgia games. So an established head made
Sense. 

Unlike before, the 21s have significant prominence and are being overseen by one of the most successful, domestic managers. He is dealing with players who have the compliments of the likes of Klopp and Poch in their ears, and he is bringing these players together in advance of a potential massive rebuild, which would have been silly to start with only 8 months the to secure a place at the euros.

There was absolutely no joined up thinking in the appointment of both McCarthy and Kenny. It was a PR job by Delaney and the FAI and a brilliant one at that.

Anyone following exactly what happened at the time will realise there was no joined up thinking. If there was, negotiations with Kenny wouldn't have played out the way they did. The FAI did not want to give Kenny his senior contract. They only wanted Kenny for the u21 role to keep fans onside. Kenny pushed for a stint with the U21s and then the senior contract all signed off.

If there was joined up thinking, those negotiations would never have taken place like that. The FAI would have went to Kenny and said you will be the senior manager in 18 months time once you do a stint with the U21s first. This did not happen.

This is all off topic, apologies. I can't believe people still credit the FAI with joined up thinking here. Comical stuff. On a side note, how exactly is it joined up thinking when there will be zero continuity between the senior and U21 sides when McCarthy goes? It will be a huge transition period. If such thinking was taking place, surely a manager of the most old school turgid tactics wouldn't be in the senior role now. There will not be a smooth transition once McCarthy goes. In fact, there will most likely be a massive transition phase.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:47pm
There was absolutely no joined up thinking in the appointment of both McCarthy and Kenny. It was a PR job by Delaney and the FAI and a brilliant one at that.

Anyone following exactly what happened at the time will realise there was no joined up thinking. If there was, negotiations with Kenny wouldn't have played out the way they did. The FAI did not want to give Kenny his senior contract. They only wanted Kenny for the u21 role to keep fans onside. Kenny pushed for a stint with the U21s and then the senior contract all signed off.

If there was joined up thinking, those negotiations would never have taken place like that. The FAI would have went to Kenny and said you will be the senior manager in 18 months time once you do a stint with the U21s first. This did not happen.

This is all off topic, apologies. I can't believe people still credit the FAI with joined up thinking here. Comical stuff. On a side note, how exactly is it joined up thinking when there will be zero continuity between the senior and U21 sides when McCarthy goes? It will be a huge transition period. If such thinking was taking place, surely a manager of the most old school turgid tactics wouldn't be in the senior role now. There will not be a smooth transition once McCarthy goes. In fact, there will most likely be a massive transition phase.

if these guys can kick on and break into their club teams then you would expect quite a bit of continuity between the two sides. 

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:50pm
If there was continuity, the senior side would currently be playing a style of football similar if not identical to the u21s, or vice versa. It really is the furthest thing from continuity. Bizarre that people see it that way.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

If there was continuity, the senior side would currently be playing a style of football similar if not identical to the u21s, or vice versa. It really is the furthest thing from continuity. Bizarre that people see it that way.

Continuity doesn’t have to be in every aspect, including style of play. Kenny will essentially be left with an intimate understanding of our youth teams and the MM period permitted that. Once he understands the scope at that level he can make his own decisions as to who will play.

There was no time or reason to start the transition early, as you could be essentially forfeiting a place at the Euros.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Ah here. 3-0 would have been a more fair scoreline that night
It was a much improved performance and Ireland were by far the better team, but Georgia had a couple of chances. Randolph made an excellent save and they nearly scored from long range while we never really looked like finishing it off. In fact, our best chance of the game was before we scored and didn’t create too much after scoring. We were the better team, but there could have been no complaints if Georgia had nicked a draw.
To get to three we would have had to create three and I don’t think we did.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Continuity doesn’t have to be in every aspect, including style of play. Kenny will essentially be left with an intimate understanding of our youth teams and the MM period permitted that. Once he understands the scope at that level he can make his own decisions as to who will play.

There was no time or reason to start the transition early, as you could be essentially forfeiting a place at the Euros.

Indeed, and we also have a six-game Nations League C campaign for Kenny's first few matches. Plenty of scope to introduce new players.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 52>
  Share Topic