You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 12 Oct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Georgia v Ireland - 12 Oct
    Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:36pm
Huge game in Tbilisi - 3 points puts us in a great position to qualify automatically.

Must be a chance of a call up for Aaron Connolly and Parrott given today's performances for the U21s - if they can make some PL appearances in the meantime.

Not sure either Hourihane or Christie will be playing LB instead of Stevens though, after the Bulgaria game.  

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 10 Sep 2019 at 9:56pm
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:12pm
Mick just indicated that he's unlikely to call up any of the U21s for this game.  

Neither will he be playing Hourihane at LB (thankfully).  Suggested taking Stephen Ward out of international retirement to fill in.  Possibly an odd choice, since James McClean is keeping Ward out of their club side at LB.  Also no mention of Ryan Manning as an option. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:51pm
Mick has his favourites. 

Saw lads sl*gging Judge off (I agree BTW, he's not up to it) but Mick f**king loves him. 

You hear Mick talking throughout the game, especially with ear phones in. 

"give it Judgey" etc he didn't shut up mentioning his name.

Mick is basically MON with a better engine 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:57pm
Doherty LB if fit (if he isn't, quite probably Ward from Mick's statements). That's about it, the rest will be the same barring injuries. 

Possibility McCarthy comes into the frame if he is playing & fit-Arter might have been in frame too had he turned up, he won't be next time, even if he does turn up. Order on bench might change, Cullen, Byrne and Collins did themselves no harm at all this evening (as opposed to say, Hogan, O'Dowda or Judge).

Anyone expecting anything else may as well go get their ears checked, hard to think of a way Mick could have been blunter about it bar releasing the team to play Georgia this evening. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:26pm
I'd love to see Doherty's reaction if he's in the squad if Ward was back starting ahead of him.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:32pm
A win is all I want 

Dont give a toss if mick himself is playing 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:45pm
Mod Edit; 

Give it a rest Hans. These posts are numbingly repetitive. Most of us get the fact we have a conservative, risk averse manager, who will continue to do conservative, risk averse things. Posting stuff like  ''Ronnie Whelan!!'' ''What next, Liam Brady ? LOL'' in each and every thread as you have been doing for most of the day isn't adding much to any discussion. 

Edited by deise316 - 10 Sep 2019 at 11:56pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:23am
Top modding Deise.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:42am
i was at the mcgeady game and we never looked like winning it , 
the last game out there was a mess too . 

if we can get three points out there then I think mick will have earned his coin regardless of what comes afterwards , this is a tough fixture 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:47am
Do we think mick picks his team with one eye on Switzerland? I don’t to be honest and I think beating Georgia is our most realistic chance within our reach and achieving would go a long way to helping us got a top 2 so I think we should 100% focus on that. 

So assuming that providing everyone was fully fit for a Georgia then mick will go with:

Randolph
Coleman-Keogh-Duffy-Doherty
Robertson-Whelan-Hendrick-Hourihane-McClean
McGoldrick

Only possible change could be Brady for Robertson or maybe Cullen played himself in instead of someone like Hourihane. i doubt it, but might also depend on who is playing for their clubs. 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:01am
Who is  Robertson? 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:05am
sure whelan wont be able to play both games so have to see what Mick does there. Also might be a wee problem if Duffy, Hendrick, Hourihane have a lack of gametime before then. Hopefully Duffy wont be dropped for long at Brighton. McGoldrick may see less gametime in the coming months also.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:14am
I think there is a chance Mick will try freshen up the midfield for both games. Realistically there isnt much of a difference in standard between Whelan/McCarthy, Hourihane/Cullen, Hendrick/Arter etc. Browne could also play one of the games.

Would mean the limited midfield players we have could focus on one game each, and at least play with some intensity. Two tough away games back to back with the same XI would be a bit too much, i suspect Mick knows this.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Mod Edit; 

Give it a rest Hans. These posts are numbingly repetitive. Most of us get the fact we have a conservative, risk averse manager, who will continue to do conservative, risk averse things. Posting stuff like  ''Ronnie Whelan!!'' ''What next, Liam Brady ? LOL'' in each and every thread as you have been doing for most of the day isn't adding much to any discussion. 

No problem at all with whatever way you or others decide to mod my posts. I would appreciate though if about 20 posts from 3/4 posters in the past week are also edited/deleted - these posts are repetitive and utter sh*te, constantly going on about how fans will get a shock when Stephen Kenny's team don't look like Brazil.

At least my posts are current, dealing with McCarthys decision to possibly recall a geriatric Stephen Ward. 

Yours in Irish fandom,
  Ireland's number 1 fan, 
     Hans.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Who is  Robertson? 

Maybe a photo has emerged of the Liverpool left back with a tricolour round him at a Celtic game. Must be declaring along with Mikey Johnston
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:57am

Mod Edit; 

No problem at all with whatever way you or others decide to mod my posts. I would appreciate though if about 20 posts from 3/4 posters in the past week are also edited/deleted - these posts are repetitive and utter sh*te, constantly going on about how fans will get a shock when Stephen Kenny's team don't look like Brazil.

At least my posts are current, dealing with McCarthys decision to possibly recall a geriatric Stephen Ward. 

Yours in Irish fandom,
  Ireland's number 1 fan, 
     Hans.

And if he does recall him, he does. McCarthy has trawled a very broad net (even though his team is pretty set in stone), and I’m sure if Walters had not retired entirely, MM would have been banging down his door.

We have to accept there is a goal in mind, and as things stand that goal may be achieved. Kenny is doing well with the U21s and for the first time in years there is some joined up thinking going on.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:00am
I have no doubt Walters would be involved if he even able to jog at this stage. So I agree with you 100 percent there.

As for the joined up thinking, let's just dismiss that notion. There was absolutely no joined up thinking in the McCarthy Kenny appointments. It was a political and PR stroke. It may well work out better for Kenny in the long run, but that doesn't make it a brilliant FAI recruitment decision with great foresight.

Btw, mods feel free to edit. Not sure am I allowed to talk about a retired Walters. Even if another poster mentioned him first.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 11 Sep 2019 at 11:01am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:09am
Hans, it is joined up thinking. I take the point (I think you made before) that change should have happened in early 2018. I have a lot of opinions on what may have transpired differently had we done so, including England’s current DM staying with us and becoming our DM. Having said that MONROY were likely to be given a further year. That year was the build year, as unless you put any stock in the NL and the five friendlies we played, last year was our “free hit”. 

McCarthy has “been there-done that”, and was likely to be able to plug the gap where we would have no friendly matches before the Gibraltar and Georgia games. So an established head made
Sense. 

Unlike before, the 21s have significant prominence and are being overseen by one of the most successful, domestic managers. He is dealing with players who have the compliments of the likes of Klopp and Poch in their ears, and he is bringing these players together in advance of a potential massive rebuild, which would have been silly to start with only 8 months the to secure a place at the euros.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>
  Share Topic