Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Bulgaria match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

We need bigger stadiums outside of Dublin so we can move these games down the country.

I wish the Aviva was about 25-30k. Wish we could do a Wales and move to a smaller club stadium where it would be a higher concentration of a noisy fanbase and less corporatised. 

Even though it's a bit too small, I envy the atmosphere in N.I.'s stadium. I'd say away teams would find the Aviva a lot less daunting than the more compact Windsor/National Stadium especially when the away fans have an entire goal end to themselves. It's a pity the Garda/FAI wouldn't allow the away fans to be tucked away in some upper tier of the East or West Stand. 

The north stand is a dream for away fans. Never give them directly behind the goal, especially not a small stand like that. That's where our singing section should be, projecting noise around the ground for a start.

A tight compact ground like Windsor but slightly bigger would be perfect.

Eircom Park LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:18pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

We need bigger stadiums outside of Dublin so we can move these games down the country.

I wish the Aviva was about 25-30k. Wish we could do a Wales and move to a smaller club stadium where it would be a higher concentration of a noisy fanbase and less corporatised. 

Even though it's a bit too small, I envy the atmosphere in N.I.'s stadium. I'd say away teams would find the Aviva a lot less daunting than the more compact Windsor/National Stadium especially when the away fans have an entire goal end to themselves. It's a pity the Garda/FAI wouldn't allow the away fans to be tucked away in some upper tier of the East or West Stand. 

The north stand is a dream for away fans. Never give them directly behind the goal, especially not a small stand like that. That's where our singing section should be, projecting noise around the ground for a start.

A tight compact ground like Windsor but slightly bigger would be perfect.

Jaysus, not this again. The North stand is one of the worst stands in international football for a stadium that size and has a sh1te view to boot. It's about as intimidating as a creche. I wonder sometimes if anyone who wants to move the SS there has ever stood on it. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

What was last night’s attendance?
Something like 18,500 or around that .
Hmmm, the new stand in Tallaght will make it 10,000. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:03pm
A municipal stadium of about 20k in Dublin would be great . Rovers ground will be fantastic when finished but still too small for international friendlies.  
How much does it take to make profit in the Aviva  ? I was there last night and what struck me was the amount of stewards arsing about . Are they paid ??Was grand getting a pint of course or going for a P 
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:38am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I’d be for it but we had games down in limerick before that were also half empty.

I remember this at the time as I was in college in Limerick, the prices were very expensive and turned a lot of people off. I think it was at the start of things going belly up in the country and something like 50 euro for a ticket, IIRC.

If it was reasonably priced and they did a friendly and a nations league match it might work. Thomond is probably the only stadium suitable.

edit. Google tells me tickets started at 25 euro for the matches, remember still around the time people specifically complaining about prices

Edited by foggy.nelson - 12 Sep 2019 at 9:44am
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:55pm
As bad as the attendance was, the Swiss had only 8,318 for their home game v Gibraltar. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:20am
I agree that games should be spread around the country. Unfortunately, we don't really have any infrastructure for it. Domestic football stadia are too small, even Tallaght. Crowds would be even worse because of the drop in population outside of Dublin, especially if the games are on a Tuesday night. Realistically, attendances will be poor no matter where it's played when it's not on at the weekend.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 10:40am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I agree that games should be spread around the country. Unfortunately, we don't really have any infrastructure for it. Domestic football stadia are too small, even Tallaght. Crowds would be even worse because of the drop in population outside of Dublin, especially if the games are on a Tuesday night. Realistically, attendances will be poor no matter where it's played when it's not on at the weekend.

One of the main issues is Aviva. Part of the naming rights means the games (or majority) must be played in Aviva. Understandable from their point of view. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 11:53am
One of many problem with that stadium.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 12:43pm
I'm not saying the senior internationals should be played outside of Dublin but during this International break you had two senior internationals, a women's International and the u21's. If either of the u21's or WNT game was moved to one of the other provincial cities it would be have been more beneficial. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

A municipal stadium of about 20k in Dublin would be great . Rovers ground will be fantastic when finished but still too small for international friendlies.  
How much does it take to make profit in the Aviva  ? I was there last night and what struck me was the amount of stewards arsing about . Are they paid ??Was grand getting a pint of course or going for a P 

Thumbs Down
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I'm not saying the senior internationals should be played outside of Dublin but during this International break you had two senior internationals, a women's International and the u21's. If either of the u21's or WNT game was moved to one of the other provincial cities it would be have been more beneficial. 

This used to be the case, I'd imagine the crowds are better in Dublin unfortunately. The rugby u20's have sold out Musgrave Park since they've been moved to cork but these are exclusively on a Friday evening during the 6 nations bubble, would you get the same crowd for u21 match against Armenia in Limerick, Cork or Galway.

Tallaght is probably the best option for Dublin's population and for the people travelling up to these games
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 2:29pm
New Dalymount will be hosting some underage and womens games I imagine once it's up and running
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 3:11pm
Are the Fai funding that? What’s the capacity going to be ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

This used to be the case, I'd imagine the crowds are better in Dublin unfortunately. The rugby u20's have sold out Musgrave Park since they've been moved to cork but these are exclusively on a Friday evening during the 6 nations bubble, would you get the same crowd for u21 match against Armenia in Limerick, Cork or Galway.

Tallaght is probably the best option for Dublin's population and for the people travelling up to these games
Personally I think the current u21's would sell out turner's Cross, in my opinion the u21 game was a bigger game than the Bulgarian game. I went to the Swiss and the Bulgarian game but in reality I wasn't driving to Dublin two days in a row to watch the u21's and staying over wasn't an option as I had to bring the kids back for school. Just hope the fai don't forget about the rest of the country while I appreciate that Tallaght Stadium is an excellent facility 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic