Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Bulgaria match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Did Bulgaria have a second string team out? Gibraltar were better than them 

Worth going just to see 3 goals been scored
Yeah, although their first team isn’t great either 
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:14pm
I heard that between the two sides, we had made 19 changes from the starting sides a few days before, so they made 9 changes from the England game, seeing as we made 10 from the Switzerland game.

Very much their second string (albeit I haven't checked that the source for the 19 changes thing is correct).
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

How many times did we see the same faces trotted out in friendlies under Trap (mainly) and to a lesser extent O'Neill which had f**k all impact on keeping the squad fresh?

For me seeing 3 players moving up the pecking order and 5 new caps handed out in total is a good night's work.

Away friendly V Turkey, March 2018 (Martin O'Neill)-  8 uncapped players in squad. A few examples; 

Colin Doyle first cap in 10 years. 
Declan Rice - first cap
Scott Hogan- first cap
Maguire- 2nd cap
Browne- 2nd cap
Kevin Long also played- he was in team tonight as well, still in much the same place in the order. 
Matt Doherty also picked up a cap
Kieran O'Hara was on the bench too. 

All those lads moved a bit up the pecking order afterwards bar the well past his best Colin Doyle, in fact one of them even managed to move into the pecking order of an entirely different country. 

All of them mainly remained available for the rest of 2018. 2018 still turned out to be utter sh*te. Capping new players in itself doesn't change an awful lot in the short term, and I'd stand over my belief not a hell of a lot has changed this evening, especially not with regard to the remaining 3 games. Cullen is the one who has gained the most and will almost certainly play some part in some of those games. Collins has likely put himself ahead of Hogan, but McGoldrick is still the man in possession. 

If you think anything else has changed much, l don't think you have been listening to Mick. When LB V Georgia was mentioned, he even spoke of the retired Wardy as a LB option with Cunningham. If it came down to one of those 2, who do you think he will pick ? I've a fair idea.......

My point wasn't suggesting that numerous players have now dislodged regulars from the starting 11, but merely pointing out that at least 2 if not 3 players have now firmly moved up the pecking order and that in itself could be seen as a decent night's work from a squad dynamic.

How often do we see players being talked up on here, then given the chance and they play sh*te where nothing at all has changed. It might not be a huge thing, bigger picture but seeing a couple of players take their chance and give Mick something to think about is at least a real positive.

Add in that we were missing Long, Obafemi, Doherty, Brady, Arter, McCarthy, Westwood etc and a couple of positive performances last night from Browne, Byrne, Cullen and Collins it's looking better re strength in depth. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:25pm
Re Stephen Ward, I hope to f**k he isn't playing against Georgia.

Would rather see Doherty at left back.

Coaxing a 34 year old of retirement isn't ideal either, Cunningham should be drafted in as back up. 
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Re Stephen Ward, I hope to f**k he isn't playing against Georgia.

Would rather see Doherty at left back.

Coaxing a 34 year old of retirement isn't ideal either, Cunningham should be drafted in as back up. 

Defo..why even bother calling Cunningham into the provsional squad in the first place if you have no intention of playing him, if needed.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 3:58pm

Exactly a strange one.

Edited by Double Maxim - 11 Sep 2019 at 3:59pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Anybody who goes to an international friendly gets what they deserve. 

That’s a great penalty.

I had a great time.

going to see ireland win a football match 3-1 in nice big stadium a few pints before and after the game, dart home.. enjoyable evening...music in slatterys was good too...i've to some competitive games that were worse
Come on Irelind
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:26pm
One of the lads lost a hat after the game. It’s a flat cap with Ireland/ match badges so if anyone can across it let us know. He’s worn it all over Europe so be nice to get it back.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:31pm
I usually never read too much into these kind of friendlies. However, if we lose one at home, that's another story...The result covers a multitude. The fact remains that most of our second string talent is plying their trade well below lower EPL standard where most of our first selection comes from. 

That said, it was nice to see an Irish team pass the ball around a bit for a change. Some like Cullen, Egan and Travers will likely be regular first team squad players fairly soon.

Disappointing to hear McCarthy putting a call out to Ward for the Switzerland away game.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:33pm
We need bigger stadiums outside of Dublin so we can move these games down the country.

Edited by corkery - 11 Sep 2019 at 6:33pm
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

One of the lads lost a hat after the game. It’s a flat cap with Ireland/ match badges so if anyone can across it let us know. He’s worn it all over Europe so be nice to get it back.

Came on to say the same.. Link to it below if anyone happened to come across it!

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

We need bigger stadiums outside of Dublin so we can move these games down the country.

What was last night’s attendance?
Razors left peg View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razors left peg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:19pm

There was a friendly a few years ago in Thomond Park and there was a terrible attendance at it so dont think that would work
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

What was last night’s attendance?
Something like 18,500 or around that .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:24pm
I’d be for it but we had games down in limerick before that were also half empty.

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:00pm

I wish the Aviva was about 25-30k. Wish we could do a Wales and move to a smaller club stadium where it would be a higher concentration of a noisy fanbase and less corporatised. 
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I wish the Aviva was about 25-30k. Wish we could do a Wales and move to a smaller club stadium where it would be a higher concentration of a noisy fanbase and less corporatised. 

Even though it's a bit too small, I envy the atmosphere in N.I.'s stadium. I'd say away teams would find the Aviva a lot less daunting than the more compact Windsor/National Stadium especially when the away fans have an entire goal end to themselves. It's a pity the Garda/FAI wouldn't allow the away fans to be tucked away in some upper tier of the East or West Stand. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Even though it's a bit too small, I envy the atmosphere in N.I.'s stadium. I'd say away teams would find the Aviva a lot less daunting than the more compact Windsor/National Stadium especially when the away fans have an entire goal end to themselves. It's a pity the Garda/FAI wouldn't allow the away fans to be tucked away in some upper tier of the East or West Stand. 

The north stand is a dream for away fans. Never give them directly behind the goal, especially not a small stand like that. That's where our singing section should be, projecting noise around the ground for a start.

A tight compact ground like Windsor but slightly bigger would be perfect.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic