Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Bulgaria match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:19pm
Don't think all that much has changed at all to be honest. Cullen has likely got ahead of the rest of the queue if anything happens to Whelan, Hendrick or Hourihane (whether injury, no game time or loss of form for those lads) and Collins should go ahead of Hogan - though a Shane Long playing should come back into it as well. 

Byrne should be ahead of Judge, not because of the question marks around Byrne, which there is, but more because Judge has settled the question marks around himself- he isn't good enough. But don't see that happening. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:24pm
Players over the years like McShane, Pearce etc were selected blindly for the sake of it on top of others who were bang out of form and just called up because it was more convenient and was hassle free.

I look at players like Travers, Byrne, Obafemi, Browne, Egan etc and straight away offers a fresh dynamic to the whole group.

Some might argue "oh sure players down the pecking order is all the one, it doesn't make a difference" but in reality it does, it keeps players on their toes because we're now in situation where we if we're lucky a couple of these guys will impress when given the chance and in turn jump ahead of others who may have been in the squad for years.

I also wouldn't dismiss Ronan Curtis completely, he's only 23 and only in English football a year which he's done well in. 

All in all, it's been a good night and glad to see slowly but surely our playing pool is expanding. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Don't think all that much has changed at all to be honest. Cullen has likely got ahead of the rest of the queue if anything happens to Whelan, Hendrick or Hourihane (whether injury, no game time or loss of form for those lads) and Collins should go ahead of Hogan - though a Shane Long playing should come back into it as well. 

Byrne should be ahead of Judge, not because of the question marks around Byrne, which there is, but more because Judge has settled the question marks around himself- he isn't good enough. But don't see that happening. 

How many times did we see the same faces trotted out in friendlies under Trap (mainly) and to a lesser extent O'Neill which had f**k all impact on keeping the squad fresh?

For me seeing 3 players moving up the pecking order and 5 new caps handed out in total is a good night's work.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

How many times did we see the same faces trotted out in friendlies under Trap (mainly) and to a lesser extent O'Neill which had f**k all impact on keeping the squad fresh?

For me seeing 3 players moving up the pecking order and 5 new caps handed out in total is a good night's work.

Away friendly V Turkey, March 2018 (Martin O'Neill)-  8 uncapped players in squad. A few examples; 

Colin Doyle first cap in 10 years. 
Declan Rice - first cap
Scott Hogan- first cap
Maguire- 2nd cap
Browne- 2nd cap
Kevin Long also played- he was in team tonight as well, still in much the same place in the order. 
Matt Doherty also picked up a cap
Kieran O'Hara was on the bench too. 

All those lads moved a bit up the pecking order afterwards bar the well past his best Colin Doyle, in fact one of them even managed to move into the pecking order of an entirely different country. 

All of them mainly remained available for the rest of 2018. 2018 still turned out to be utter sh*te. Capping new players in itself doesn't change an awful lot in the short term, and I'd stand over my belief not a hell of a lot has changed this evening, especially not with regard to the remaining 3 games. Cullen is the one who has gained the most and will almost certainly play some part in some of those games. Collins has likely put himself ahead of Hogan, but McGoldrick is still the man in possession. 

If you think anything else has changed much, l don't think you have been listening to Mick. When LB V Georgia was mentioned, he even spoke of the retired Wardy as a LB option with Cunningham. If it came down to one of those 2, who do you think he will pick ? I've a fair idea.......

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Lets now see if Jack Byrne offers anything at all
The commentator on sky has done his homework Jack Byrne is the 500th capped player for Ireland!

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

In fairness to Mick, he's given out 5 new caps tonight. Forgettable game but it's something 

1% of all Ireland players ever made their debuts tonight.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:10am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Anybody who goes to an international friendly gets what they deserve. 

That’s a great penalty.

I had a great time.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:11am
But on a more serious note, I'm not sure Browne was that bad tonight. He passed it about well and kept possession in a game where we had the majority of it, and switched it well on more than a couple of occasions. Undoubtedly Cullen was better but I'm not sure he was that much better, given the slightly different roles they seemed to have.

Curtis was poor enough and whatever Hourihane's qualities, playing left back is not one of them. However, friendlies are for nothing if not finding out that sort of thing.

I wouldn't be too harsh on Hogan. He looked to be staying around the last shoulder pretty frequently and I don't think he should be blamed because the ball didn't come as often as it could have. He wasn't holding it up like, say, McGoldrick would have but that doesn't mean he had an awful game. I'm not sure Collins necessarily put himself ahead of Hogan, albeit he didn't do his chances any harm, when it isn't clear exactly what instructions each of them had when they went out there tonight.

Anyway, there are undoubtedly a lot more positives than negatives to take from the game tonight which is more than can be said for the majority of friendlies.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:12am
Jesus really feeling old seeing these 'mothers pride' for the young lads getting first senior caps' pics on social media. Even me at 29 are in a position to chance my arm ha 

Edited by Healy52003 - 11 Sep 2019 at 12:13am
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:20am
I've watched so many Irish friendlies over the years and thought what none events the majority of them were but two massive positives in the performances of Byrne and Cullen tonight together with the talent in our U21s give Ireland a real platform to build from.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:58am
Cunningham or Williams should have Played.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Jesus really feeling old seeing these 'mothers pride' for the young lads getting first senior caps' pics on social media. Even me at 29 are in a position to chance my arm ha 

Ha! I always thought you were a pensioner! LOL
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:46am
Judge not at the races at all. That should be him done and dusted between last night and thurs. Curtis the same.
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:21am
Just a few observations from last night- first of all Curtis is nowhere near international standard. I know James McClean is much maligned but last night showed what he actually brings to the team- he offered more in his brief cameo than Curtis did. Byrne was industrious but realistically I think that Bulgaria team was one of the worst I have ever seen at the Aviva- they were woeful with their keeper being exceptionally bad. Cullen impressed me with Browne very good in spurts. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:29am
Curtis started very poorly but I did think he came into the game a bit more as it progressed. He's only 23 and has some good basic attributes, I wouldn't completely write him off just yet.
We're decent enough..
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:30am
Did Bulgaria have a second string team out? Gibraltar were better than them 

Worth going just to see 3 goals been scored
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:33am
all observations aside it was nice just to win a game 3-1, fairly comfortably and not be chasing shadows for 90 mins. yes bulgaria were poor but still we were in a position to take advantage. their USA 94 team must be looking on and thinking how have we come to this. 
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

all observations aside it was nice just to win a game 3-1, fairly comfortably and not be chasing shadows for 90 mins. yes bulgaria were poor but still we were in a position to take advantage. their USA 94 team must be looking on and thinking how have we come to this. 

I was thinking something similar myself last night- how a team that got to a World cup semi final in 94 could be so inept now. I know they had Stoichkov and all that but, as someone said here , Gibraltar were actually better than that team last night.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Reillers88 Reillers88 wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I was thinking something similar myself last night- how a team that got to a World cup semi final in 94 could be so inept now. I know they had Stoichkov and all that but, as someone said here , Gibraltar were actually better than that team last night.
Of course they are inept, they are all in their fifties!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic