You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jason Knight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 59>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 1:23pm
If the loyalty is only to ensure that Derby get a reasonable fee for him and he's been assured he will be allowed leave should a decent offer arrive, then the contract renewal is admirable. I am surprised however that his agent hasnt been able to muster interest, if nothing else the lad has a great engine and attitude - I'd love to see him go to a club who might try and improve the technical aspects of his game. 

He is absolutely a cut above League One level and I'm not sure a further year at Derby, even assuming they have a successful year, which they should, will be any good for his development. 

Having said that, if they go up, which is likely, then we could be looking at the captain of a Championship club going places with a L1 winners medal in his back pocket, so who knows. There's no guarantees that a move to a lower end PL club right now would leave him in a better place.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 1:43pm
More stupidity than admirable imo. Unless he has it put in his contract that he can leave if an offer of £2m or something is made.

He's got no agent listed so could be a family member he has representing him like Collins does.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 2:14pm
His brother is his agent I think. 

Listen I think he will be OK. His whole career is ahead of him. There might not be great offers on the table.  I'd nearly stay at Derby than go to someone like Birmingham in the championship. Like I mentioned previously, teams in the championship are not splashing the cash after covid. No team in the prem are interested at this moment. So he hasn't got too many options.
The most frustrating thing is they are playing him at RB
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

His brother is his agent I think. 

Listen I think he will be OK. His whole career is ahead of him. There might not be great offers on the table.  I'd nearly stay at Derby than go to someone like Birmingham in the championship. Like I mentioned previously, teams in the championship are not splashing the cash after covid. No team in the prem are interested at this moment. So he hasn't got too many options.
The most frustrating thing is they are playing him at RB

Best thing for him is just wait it out till January. If any of the rumours of interest in Germany is true then they can approach him with contract offers. Derby won't want to lose him for peanuts so teams in England could get him handy enough in January.

Derby don't wanna sell players cause they've a small enough squad and are only allowed sign free transfers and players on loan. They'll likely get decent compensation if he joins another English club next summer on a free but could do an Ebosele. They might have to sell him come January rather than risk him going abroad for peanuts.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:42am
Should run his contract down IMO. He's already stuck there this season as it is, with no one from the leagues above willing to take a chance. Big risk of him being stuck at the club longer term if he signs a new contract.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 11:14am
I know they have a curtailed suqad and all that, but jeez did they really have to play Jason for 31 minutes off the bench in a Papa Johns Trophy game vs Grimsby last night? 
Idah Dream!
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I know they have a curtailed suqad and all that, but jeez did they really have to play Jason for 31 minutes off the bench in a Papa Johns Trophy game vs Grimsby last night? 

What position did they play him last night? Goalkeeper?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 11:24am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

What position did they play him last night? Goalkeeper?

It's probably the only position he hasn't played along with CB I'd say. Replaced the lad that was playing LW last night when 3-0 up.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 11:52am
Seems to be linked to a few Championship clubs this morning, but there will be loads of reports flying around today, some correct some nonsense. Might or might not come to anything.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 12:23pm
Stoke one of the clubs which I could see if Alex Neill was scouting him at Sunderland but couldn't sign him.

Couldn't see Burnley or Norwich making a move for him this late. Burnley have a bloated squad and would have brought him in earlier surely. Similar with Norwich who spent £9m and £3m on two midfielders during the summer.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 12:41pm
I think he'll stay. Clearly loyal to Derby but if the lad has his head screwed on he won't sign a new contract yet. Unless he really loves being RB permanently
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

I think he'll stay. Clearly loyal to Derby but if the lad has his head screwed on he won't sign a new contract yet. Unless he really loves being RB permanently

At a time where our most obvious ‘green shoots’ are the keepers and defence, I’m not sure how I feel about the possibility of one of our midfield prospects converting into a defensive player.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

At a time where our most obvious ‘green shoots’ are the keepers and defence, I’m not sure how I feel about the possibility of one of our midfield prospects converting into a defensive player.

At a time when most of our L1 players from last season have made the step up, it's a huge disappointment that one of our brighter young midfield talents seems to have gone the other way. He must be just about the only serious senior squad contender now playing in League One?
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 1:12pm
If he does stay there that might affect him come November. League One and Two aren't breaking for the WC so could Derby refuse to release him for friendly games?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

If he does stay there that might affect him come November. League One and Two aren't breaking for the WC so could Derby refuse to release him for friendly games?

Tests.
We don't do friendlies any more.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

As long as the games are in a FIFA window (which they are), im pretty sure a club can't refuse to release players, even for friendlies.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 1:55pm
L1 & L2 clubs can get games postponed if they have a certain number of players (2 or 3 I think) called up. So between Knight, Hourihane & Cashin that wouldn't be an issue.

At a time when most of our L1 players from last season have made the step up, it's a huge disappointment that one of our brighter young midfield talents seems to have gone the other way. He must be just about the only serious senior squad contender now playing in League One?

Yeah pretty much all the players we've been calling up (or even considering calling up) from L1 over the last few years have this season either moved up a level (or 2 in Bazunu's case), or they've been dropped (Curtis, Horgan).

In Horgans case I think it was a bit harsh. He had a much more positive impact than Hourihane did.

Knight & Hourihane are now the only players we'll be considering. Though maybe Knight gets the move today, & maybe Hourihane does get dropped in favour of someone like Smallbone.

Either way it seems our days of calling up League 1 players are ending this season.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 2:33pm
If our lack of depth in CM wasn't so dire I'd advocate dropping him. We shouldn't be playing l1 players and a hint to Knight that he needs to be playing in at least the champ in his own position. But I don't think we can do that with the state of our CM options. Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 59>
  Share Topic