You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jason Knight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 59>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

His performance against France would tell anyone with any idea about football that he is much better than league 1 level .

Did Sir Jason start that game?  Can't remember

Yes
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 2:01pm
I don't think any Championship club was going to be spending the money on him that Derby have been looking for up to now. That changes now that he's down to the last 12 months of his contract. I suspect he will get a Championship move and will look the part again once he gets back there and is given a settled role in a decent team. 

I have always thought his eventual ceiling would be higher than that, but the last two years haven't helped his development at all. Still plenty of time obviously, and the higher level player he most reminds me of - John McGinn - only played in the SPL and Scottish Championship up until he was almost 24. But Knight has been messed about a lot by Derby and does now have ground to make up.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 2:33pm
He signed a contract extension, why would he do that if he's looking for a move.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He signed a contract extension, why would he do that if he's looking for a move.
I believe it was Derby's choice to a trigger a 12 month extension clause in his contract
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 2:43pm
It's only May, the English domestic season hasn't even finished. I'm sure there'll be interest from a number of Championship clubs before next season starts. I'd be very surprised if he's still at Derby next season.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

I believe it was Derby's choice to a trigger a 12 month extension clause in his contract

But would he not have to agree to that? I mean, hypothetically speaking, if he just wanted to see out his the remaining months\year of his control - he should be able to do so. Otherwise clubs could keep hold of their players forever!

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 3:27pm
That's not how it works. Knight signed a 3.5 year contract in January 2020. Included in the contract was an option for an additional year, with the option being in Derby's favour. In other words, Derby could choose whether or not to take the option - which would turn it into a 4.5 year deal. Knight has no say in this now as he signed up to it back in 2020. At that time he was only 18 and Derby were a top half Championship team. So it would have seemed like a good deal with a big club at the time.

Now they've triggered it and he probably wishes he hadn't signed a deal with the option in it (if there was no option, Derby would have sold him last summer). But Derby always knew the option was there, which was why there chose to keep him when others went, knowing that if they weren't promoted they'd still get a fee for him.

Knight has been unlucky to be honest. He signed a long term deal just before the club started to become a basket case. He's also probably not on a wage that matches his value as he's still on a contract he signed at 18. But hopefully he'll at least be able to get out of there before the summer transfer window closes.

Edited by You Tell Me - 12 May 2023 at 3:29pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 3:45pm
Good stuff. It does seem a little weird. More clubs should be doing the same if you ask me.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 4:55pm

Good stuff. It does seem a little weird. More clubs should be doing the same if you ask me.

Most clubs do exactly that Horsey! You on the wind up?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 6:56pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

He’s always performed well for us but he’s never really been linked with many clubs. Some talk of Burnley last year but it was all from unreliable Irish media sources. Are we guilty of overrating him and his level is really League 1? 

Considering he's been performing well in the Championship since he was 18, and captained the team by the time he was 19, I'm not sure how the conclusion could be that his level is League 1.

Why do you think no Championship club has not come in for him?

He was linked with Leeds and some Serie A clubs according to some folks here.

How do you know no club has come in for him? Does every approach lead to a completed deal?

Knight is so clearly at the least Championship standard, he'd never even have been playing in L1 if it weren't for a point deduction for his club. The tendency to completely revise opinions on a player just because their club isn't going well, despite all the evidence we have from actually watching them, is quite bewildering.

Edited by The O'Shea - 12 May 2023 at 7:32pm
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 7:10pm
I don't know is the answer and I would have assumed he would have been snapped up when Derby went down, but are we all looking at him with green tinted glasses? 

He has a lot of good attributes, so with Derby exercising the contact extension it looks like he will be a Derby player for another year.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 8:43pm

I don't know is the answer and I would have assumed he would have been snapped up when Derby went down, but are we all looking at him with green tinted glasses? 

He has a lot of good attributes, so with Derby exercising the contact extension it looks like he will be a Derby player for another year.

I'd assume they are just looking to maximise their return by doing this.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 1:01pm
Derby Telegraph reporting interest from Bristol City in Jason. While that would be a little underwhelming, it's better than him staying at Derby.
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Derby Telegraph reporting interest from Bristol City in Jason. While that would be a little underwhelming, it's better than him staying at Derby.

I wonder if that's to replace Alex Scott who is very highly rated.

Knight is starting to remind me of Owen Garvan. 

He never quite made it to The PL, despite becoming a Championship regular from the age of 17. 
Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 2:31pm
What's the downside of moving to Bristol City John?
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 2:42pm
Re Garvan, he did play a few games in the PL for Crystal Palace but that was as good as it got. Bristol City may not be a bad move for Knight, Mark Sykes has done very well for them since he went there. Interesting to see where he ends up.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

What's the downside of moving to Bristol City John?

Certainly better than another season in League One.

But when Knight was 18-20, it looked like he had PL potential. It looked like he would follow the Jeff Hendrick path.

Derby's financial problems and his versatility/selflessness have gone against him.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Re Garvan, he did play a few games in the PL for Crystal Palace but that was as good as it got. Bristol City may not be a bad move for Knight, Mark Sykes has done very well for them since he went there. Interesting to see where he ends up.

That's what I meant by not quite. He only played 2 PL games.

Mad how he ended up disillusioned by football and retired by 30.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 59>
  Share Topic