You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jason Knight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 59>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 6:04pm
Benched today, maybe injury related, but came on in the 44th minute in a very disappointing 2 nil home defeat to Fleetwood. I think he will start vs France, but his lack of any consistent form in League One really is a cause for concern.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Benched today, maybe injury related, but came on in the 44th minute in a very disappointing 2 nil home defeat to Fleetwood. I think he will start vs France, but his lack of any consistent form in League One really is a cause for concern.
His best form was probably start of season playing at right back. If Derby don’t get promoted I can see him stuck in League 1 again next year. Can’t see any team paying a decent fee for him based on his form last couple of months. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 6:27pm
He got a goal and assist in February with Warne singing his praises - he's been good for them pretty much all season. 

Edited by The O'Shea - 18 Mar 2023 at 8:25pm
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 8:07pm
He'll be playing in a higher division next season, with or without Derby. He has already told the club that he will only stay on if they get promoted. He's going into the last year of his contract so they can't realistically keep him if he doesn't want to stay.

I think we'll only see him fulfil his potential once he leaves Derby to be honest. I could see him going the same way as Cullen in the next few years.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 9:26pm
Derby will still get compensation for him if he walks on a free at the end of next season. By then he could have 30 Ireland caps and you figure for a lad that's 23 with that many caps they'll get decent compensation for him.

Don't think they're gonna be forced to sell just because it's the last year of his contract. Can see him still at Derby until January transfer window even if they're in League One.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 7:45am
It's been pretty much agreed that he's going if they don't get promoted. Warne said it in a press conference a while back.

Teams rarely wait for the compo if they can avoid it at all because they get very little compared to the player's real value.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:30pm
Really hoping the Knight gets a move on from Derby this summer, defo needs to be playing at a higher level each week, training with better players and testing himself against better opposition. Cullen seems nailed on as our first starter in a midfield 3, Molumby was top class last night and prob is a starter now too. That leaves Knight as the guy who might lose out if we wanted to play with a ball player like Smallbone or another attacking wide player against lesser opposition like Greece and Gibraltar.

Edited by greenshoots - 28 Mar 2023 at 4:51pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:46pm
I'd have Knight in direct competition with Molumby for that position beside/just ahead of Cullen (who we urgently need backfill for).
Molumby should start against any kind of superior or even comparable opponent.  Knight then against weaker teams and Smallbone up ahead of the two.
Then against the top teams, play both ahead of Cullen like last night.

That's how I see it with the current personnel and don't want to go into what-if's with younger lads.

In a world where we go to a back four versus weaker opponents, then there's more scope for Knight to play wide left but I think that's part of the problem - what is his position?
Johnston would seem a better fit for wide-left or even O'Dowda.

The worry for Knight is he gets pigeon-holed as a utility player, coming off the bench wherever we may need him (a better Alan Browne, if you will).

Edited by Fozz - 28 Mar 2023 at 4:47pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'd have Knight in direct competition with Molumby for that position beside/just ahead of Cullen (who we urgently need backfill for).
Molumby should start against any kind of superior or even comparable opponent.  Knight then against weaker teams and Smallbone up ahead of the two.
Then against the top teams, play both ahead of Cullen like last night.

That's how I see it with the current personnel and don't want to go into what-if's with younger lads.

In a world where we go to a back four versus weaker opponents, then there's more scope for Knight to play wide left but I think that's part of the problem - what is his position?
Johnston would seem a better fit for wide-left or even O'Dowda.

The worry for Knight is he gets pigeon-holed as a utility player, coming off the bench wherever we may need him (a better Alan Browne, if you will).

I agree pretty much with this although I used to think Knight had a higher ceiling than Molumby, but spendng the last season wasting away in L1 hasnt exactly convinced me of that. I always hoped jason would develop into a genuine 8 with a goal in him, maybe he still can. 
Idah Dream!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 6:03am
There seems to be this expectation of Knight that he's going to be a ball playing midfielder. He's comfortable on the ball but he's at his best when he's driving at players or coming on to the ball with his runs from midfield. He's not in competition with either Cullen or Molumby IMO. If anything, he'll lose out to Smallbone against the lesser sides.

Definitely needs to be playing in the Championship at least, although no one coming in to buy him last season isn't a good sign, regardless of his contract situation.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 10:08am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

There seems to be this expectation of Knight that he's going to be a ball playing midfielder. He's comfortable on the ball but he's at his best when he's driving at players or coming on to the ball with his runs from midfield. He's not in competition with either Cullen or Molumby IMO. If anything, he'll lose out to Smallbone against the lesser sides.

Definitely needs to be playing in the Championship at least, although no one coming in to buy him last season isn't a good sign, regardless of his contract situation.

I always expected Knight to make up in to a proper box to box #8. To that degree, I think he is in competition with Molumby unless we intend to maintain the double pivot in all games i.e. 2 #6's. If we want to play a solitary 6 then it is between Cullen and Molumby for that role with Cullen's ability to recycle ball making him my preferred option for that role. If we then want to play an 8 and a 10 then I think Knight competes with Molumby for the 8 role with Smallbone and potentially Azaz/Moran competing for the #10 role. I maintain that a midfield three of Cullen, Molumby and Knight just doesnt offer enough creativity or threat. Cullen, Knight and Smallbone or Cullen, Molumby and Smallbone would be my preferred midfield trio as things stand. If we play a 4-2-3-1 then Cullen and Molumby would be the two #6s.
Idah Dream!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 11:31am
He is more of a Lampard type player apparently getting on the end of things. He is obviously doing a job for us and Derby as he is versatile. But ideally he can go somewhere or Derby go up and he can play that more number position.

I think even for us against certain teams if we go with a 4-2-1-3 then he can be that number 8 behind the front 3. Him or smallbone.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this for certain games (e.g. try it vs. Gilbraltar)

Baz
Coleman--collins--egan--Doherty
------Molumby--Culllen
--------------Knight (or Smallbone)
Ogbene--Ferguson--Johnson

Edited by t_rAndy - 29 Mar 2023 at 11:33am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 1:04pm
Could be (finally) heading into his last 45 minutes of football as a Derby player, they're losing to Sheffield Wednesday, have had a player sent off and are going to miss out on the playoffs in League 1 as things stand.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 1:37pm
Has Knight actually had a good season with Derby? McGoldrick, Cashin, and Hourihane all received some sort of recognition for their season, and he seemed to be deployed as a RWB for most of the year. Serious question, as I didnt watch him or Derby.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 1:46pm
He started the first 10 games of the season or so at RB, he's played in midfield ever since then basically.
We're decent enough..
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 2:02pm
knight will be just fine, he will have his pick of Many offers
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 2:07pm
I see he has been playing RWB for Derby for the past 4 or 5 matches. 
I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed by his season in the League One.
I know he has been shifted all around in different positions again this season. Playing Right back for the first eight matches of the season, he has played all over midfield from defensive/central/attacking midfield, on the wings,even playing up front once or twice.
He had a spell out injured late October/early November which seen he miss the November international window.
I think his best spell was when he got a run of matches after the new year when he got a run playing centrally in midfield, alot as an attacking midfielder. 
Still 2 goals and 3 assists in 37 appearances in League One is not great for a 21/22yo especially when he has started a lot in attacking positions. He had over a  Championship appearances before this season.
I like like him as a player myself, he has put in some good performances for Ireland but are we over rating him? Thinking he is a better player than what he is?
He is just going to be a work horse utility player going forward?
Is he a free agent this Summer?

I really wish he got out of Derby last summer and got signed by a manager who played him consistently in the same position/role rather than shifting him around the pitch every week.

Edited by darman28 - 07 May 2023 at 2:08pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 2:10pm
Knight's loyalty to Derby hasn't been rewarded, he has stagnated and the team has been poor. He hasn't been helped by spending the last two years being moved all over the field to put out fires everywhere from left wing to right back when he should just have been left to develop as an attacking midfielder.

Although he has one more year on his contract he supposedly stayed on this season on the basis that he'd be allowed to leave without too much fuss if they didn't go up.

But his profile is lower now after a year in League 1 and he might not attract the same standard of club as he could have a year ago. He might have had a move to Burnley last summer and would be on his way to the Premier League now. He obviously has to leave Derby but I wouldn't want to see him end up in another Championship relegation battle next season either.

Edited by You Tell Me - 07 May 2023 at 2:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 59>
  Share Topic