You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jason Knight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 59>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Starts again for Derby, would be good to see it he can better last seasons goal return. 

Arter and odowda on the bench for their respective clubs, odowda seems to consistently be a bit part player. I can't see why he should start for ireland ahead of knight if this trend continues 
The fact they play in very different positions might be one.

Odowda played in a front three for ireland, on the left and right. Is he a forward or a winger? 

Knight has played on the left of midfield and the right of midfield for Derby in their last game, he also played in and advanced central role.

We also played Doherty at a centre back.. 

I'd be interested to know which positions you feel both players can and can't play?

Edited by Left foot - 20 Oct 2020 at 8:09pm
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:27pm

Starts again for Derby, would be good to see it he can better last seasons goal return. 

Arter and odowda on the bench for their respective clubs, odowda seems to consistently be a bit part player. I can't see why he should start for ireland ahead of knight if this trend continues 

Odowda played in a front three for ireland, on the left and right. Is he a forward or a winger? 

Knight has played on the left of midfield and the right of midfield for Derby in their last game, he also played in and advanced central role.

I'd be interested to know which positions you feel both players can and can't play?
Would you? I wouldn't even by interested in my opinions. Anyway, everyone knows that Knight can only play two across and one up.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
I thought he was a box to box player?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:41pm

Would you? I wouldn't even by interested in my opinions. Anyway, everyone knows that Knight can only play two across and one up.

I think he can also play one across and two up, so more versatile than you think.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:43pm
Not that old chessnut again...?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:45pm
Whatever, its clear he has plenty of armour

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm
if we get drawn against the Danes again he has to start and his finishing would lead to the danish manager taking Kasper off šŸ˜€
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

if we get drawn against the Danes again he has to start and his finishing would lead to the danish manager taking Kasper off šŸ˜€
Would Fischer be playing for them too?
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:52pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Would Fischer be playing for them too?

LOLClap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:54pm
I used to do shift work in a chess piece factory.  I could only do knights.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:17pm
Strange, indeed. One of life's great impawnderables.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:40pm
Iā€™d say he be dreading the World Cup qualification draw, be hoping we donā€™t get the Czechs
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 8:50pm
Had a good half for Derby. All energy display and likes to run with the ball. 
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 8:54pm

Had a good half for Derby. All energy display and likes to run with the ball. 

If he's good enough for Derby he's good enough for us. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 9:11pm
He's on course to be a massively important player for us in the coming years, especially given that he plays a position we are weak in. 

Knight and Molumby in the centre or midfield in a couple of years time with a natural 10 in front of them is an exciting prospect.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 11:13pm
When Derby play Bournemouth, they could switch him to centre half. So he could keep King in check.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:23am
they get his age wrong but otherwise decent write up 

There goes Jason Knight again, tearing around the field. The pumping of his arms getting more frantic the more intently he harries the opposition. In a season filled with more downs than ups, he has been one of the undoubted bright spots.

Making his debut against West Bromwich Albion on a sun-kissed Pride Park pitch in August last year feels like a lifetime ago. After that 1-1 draw, Phillip Cocu praised the then 18-year-old for ā€œbreathing footballā€ but just asked that his energy be deployed more efficiently, a minor tweak to his game. His arrow has pointed upwards ever since.

One would forgive him if he dropped off the pace a touch after a packed schedule so far this season, which included a brief trip to Finland so he could make his senior international debut with Ireland. Such is his desire to play he got through 90 minutes of hard running against Watford on the Friday, having only returned from international duty the day before.

Within the Derby ranks, Knight had been compared with the likes of Craig Bryson, an all-energy midfielder. But a first-team coach, Justin Walker, had a more flattering take on his style of play.

ā€œThereā€™s 100 per cent a bit of Roy Keane in him,ā€ he glowed. ā€œI started at Forest as a young kid so I had the first-hand experience of Roy. I watched him develop at a similar age to Jason when he stepped into Forestā€™s team. Itā€™s not a lazy comparison, there are some comps in there. But it comes down to self-drive and motivation.ā€

Cocu confessed the Irishman had just three hours of sleep before getting up to start preparing for the game against Watford. You wouldnā€™t have known it. Off the back of that in training he hit personal bests for running and top speed. No surprise, as with the under-23s he was often found at the front of the queue when it was time to do laps.

Starting his football career at four years old in Cabinteely, a suburb on the south side of Dublin with a population of just over 12,000, Knight followed in the footsteps of his siblings and turned out for the first-division side before making the short flight to the East Midlands in 2017.

ā€œYou knew he was a high-energy midfield player, box to box. Scored some goals,ā€ academy director Darren Wassall tells The Athletic. ā€œThere wasnā€™t anything per se that he needed to improve on, we knew we had a gem in terms of energy and enthusiasm but he can play as well.ā€

ā€œWhat you see over there is totally different to what you see in England. They havenā€™t got academies like us. But itā€™s a lot more physical. So you know straight away if you bring a lad over from Ireland you know theyā€™re dedicated, tough, single-minded and ready to play for the cause.ā€

Those fighting qualities have been evident from day one and are part of what has seen him rise so quickly from the academy ranks to first-team regular in a little under three years.

ā€œHe was a real character in making sure the training ground was spiky,ā€ Walker explains. ā€œHe plays on the edge. Heā€™s an ultimate winner, whether itā€™s tiddlywinks or five-a-side. I know the cage, we used to throw the lads in the cage on a Tuesday afternoon and heā€™s ended up going through one of the boards trying to win the ball.ā€

Against Huddersfield, he tired after an hour but before that he was the driving force in leading the press from the front in an almost false nine role. On Friday against Nottingham Forest, he was at it again, albeit from a deeper position, replacing Max Bird in the heart of the park with Graeme Shinnie.

In fact, he bailed his Scottish midfield partner out of trouble in the first half when Shinnie was beaten by a quick flick after he tried to win a 50-50 ball. Knight covered not only his own zone but zoomed across to cover every blade of grass where Shinnie would have been to stop Forest making a quick break. Derby regained possession.

At the tail end of the 2019-20 season Bird deservedly collected the clubā€™s Young Player of the Year award. The 20-year-old midfielder had only become a mainstay in the team since Boxing Day but his assured nature and midfield screen with Wayne Rooney become a vital part of the team. His metronomic style of play helping Derby tick along nicely as they mounted a late play-off surge.

Knight would be forgiven, though, if he felt hard done by. Heā€™d come into the first team, scored six goals ā€” including two against Charlton in January which secured Derby a 2-1 win in which they played for 70 minutes with 10 men ā€” played in a variety of positions, often not his preferred ones, and excelled all the same.

In the academy, Knight was part of a central-midfield partnership which helped Derby Under-23s secure the Premier League 2 title with a 5-2 thumping of Arsenal in the final.

ā€œHe was probably our best player. In fact for long periods, for about six months of that season really,ā€ Walker explains. ā€œHe could probably feel a bit unlucky that he didnā€™t progress to the under-23s sooner than he did. But thatā€™s part of his journey.ā€

ā€œHeā€™s a model pro, really. Heā€™s an example of every single member of our academy from the under-8s all the way up to the 23s,ā€ Wassall continues. ā€œOf course youā€™ve got to have talent but if you can perform on a consistent basis like he does, day in, day out in training and in matches, in terms of the level of work rate and commitment and energy and will to win and leadership, then youā€™ve got a real chance.ā€

His performances with Walker had got him noticed by Frank Lampard. Heading into the play-off semi-final with Leeds, the now Chelsea manager had decided to give Knight a taste of first-team experience by naming him on the bench. But his Irish midfielder wasnā€™t around at the time.

ā€œAll of a sudden he went home and Frank had told me he was going to involve him for the play-off game against Leeds,ā€ Walker laughs. ā€œSo I had to ring Jason up to 1) make sure he wasnā€™t enjoying the Dublin nightlife too much and 2) that he was on a plane and ready to go to Leeds and join the first-team squad.ā€

ā€œI didnā€™t necessarily have in-depth conversations with Frank, but Frank liked what he saw when Jason went to train with them,ā€ explains Wassall. ā€œI think every manager would like what they see with Jason Knight. He brings something to the table that lifts everybody. Even though heā€™s a young lad heā€™s not a shrinking violet. Heā€™ll speak his mind, in a polite way, but heā€™s very single-minded. I think thatā€™s what endears him to first-team environments and he knows he belongs.ā€

There are no worries as to whether heā€™ll make a senior squad any longer. Knight is firmly pencilled in on the team sheet. In fact, you could perhaps put it in ink such is his importance to the side

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:27am
wrote up is in theathletic 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 59>
  Share Topic