You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 56>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:44am
Best atmosphere in LR in years. I feel we are improving every game under McCarthy, at least we are trying to pass the ball around. When Randolph gets the ball he now has the option of rolling the ball to the centre half, that didn't happen for the last 5 years, shows a difference in approach.

We have serious problems in centre midfield. At the start of the game our two holding midfielders were too flat, Swiss players constantly occupied the space in front our defence and neither of them dropped to pick them up, they need to talk to each other more. Whelan looked painfully slow when he eventually spotted these dropping players, usually a second or two too late. McCarthy went 3 at the back and put another body in midfield around 20 mins in, this helped a lot.

Switzerland are a better side than people here are giving them credit for. They totally owned at last half an hour of the second half, at one stage it looked like they could score at will and could run away with the game 2 or 3 nil.

We deserved the draw and I think we will improve as the group goes on. Good night for Hendrick, McGoldrick, Duffy and Judge. Bad night for Stevens, Whelan and Robinson.

James McCarthy would improve that midfield if he gets fully fit and Robbie Brady could add something too.

Edited by nice triangles - 06 Sep 2019 at 10:45am
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:44am
thought robinson was poor and deserved to be hooked earlier 
mcg was excellent and really leads the line , delighted for him 
hourihane needs to do better in general play , excellent dead balls and shame he wasnt on at the end when we started to pressure them with frees and corners. 
mclean is an average player who gives everything , hard not to love him 
Jeff made a big deal about being played in his proper position , need to step up now , wasnt great 
Whelan did a great job , why didnt he play like this when he was younger 
Duffy and Keogh are rocks , coleman is on the way back , stevens will get used to playing with them , our first choice defense is solid. 

midfield is where our problem is jeff and hourihane need to play better there 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Enda Stevens was disappointing, maybe he can only play wing back and needs the cover of 3 at the back. He could barely control the ball at times, yet 6 days ago was megging Chelsea players and oozed confidence. 
It’s going to be hard for our full backs to have good games when there is no one showing in midfield for the ball.
Fair play to mcclean for was good for the last 10 minutes, but before that he was woeful. Couldn’t believe he managed to stay on the pitch.

If last night was woeful how would you describe the last year of O’Neill and Keane? 

Honestly thought we looked like a modern well coached football team last night albeit not a very good one. Used the ball well in patches and tried a few different formations even if some were not successful 

I wouldn’t have taken Robinson off or moved mcgoldrick to right wing and played with no strikers for a while though.

3 5 2 like sheff Utd could work well. Coleman to play right centre half with licence to get forward like Basham does for them. Give Doherty a go right wing back.

A fit long and obafemi will add more pace to the attack. McCarthy will add composure to midfield. Question is who can add energy and dynamism. Cullen looks like another McCarthy when I saw him play technically good but not going to hassle and upset the opposition midfield.  Hope molumby gets a proper run at Millwall soon 

Edited by d13dave - 06 Sep 2019 at 10:53am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Enda Stevens was disappointing, maybe he can only play wing back and needs the cover of 3 at the back. He could barely control the ball at times, yet 6 days ago was megging Chelsea players and oozed confidence. 
It’s going to be hard for our full backs to have good games when there is no one showing in midfield for the ball.
Fair play to mcclean for was good for the last 10 minutes, but before that he was woeful. Couldn’t believe he managed to stay on the pitch.

While he has looked good for Sheff Utd this season, there's too much emphasis on nutmegs these days in football, due to the social media generation. Most of them are luck.
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:02am
Enda Stevens was a lucky lad that his head high tackle in first half didn't make much contact. If he did it was red card all day.
Most European referees would have gone red on that.

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 06 Sep 2019 at 11:19am
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:03am
What we need to pick up on the next game against these is Zakaria. We couldnt cope with his driving runs. He was trying to isolate himself against Whelan several times. We need someone like Browne in there with the legs to cope with him
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:09am

Can anyone provide a link to the match highlights online please? 
El Puto Amo
The Whisperer View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:10am
Originally posted by nice triangles nice triangles wrote:

Best atmosphere in LR in years. I feel we are improving every game under McCarthy, at least we are trying to pass the ball around. When Randolph gets the ball he now has the option of rolling the ball to the centre half, that didn't happen for the last 5 years, shows a difference in approach.

We have serious problems in centre midfield. At the start of the game our two holding midfielders were too flat, Swiss players constantly occupied the space in front our defence and neither of them dropped to pick them up, they need to talk to each other more. Whelan looked painfully slow when he eventually spotted these dropping players, usually a second or two too late. McCarthy went 3 at the back and put another body in midfield around 20 mins in, this helped a lot.

Switzerland are a better side than people here are giving them credit for. They totally owned at last half an hour of the second half, at one stage it looked like they could score at will and could run away with the game 2 or 3 nil.

We deserved the draw and I think we will improve as the group goes on. Good night for Hendrick, McGoldrick, Duffy and Judge. Bad night for Stevens, Whelan and Robinson.

James McCarthy would improve that midfield if he gets fully fit and Robbie Brady could add something too.

Agree here with the above post well said.

Cant get my head around people giving glenn whelan credit for last nights performance. He was constantly out of position and the swiss midfield were able to just cut open the space in the middle due to his lack of legs at will. They copped on to his lack of mobility in second half and went straight at him every time they could really. James Mac can and should come in to replace glenn for our next set of competitive games. Heres hoping he gets minutes at palace over next few weeks. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:36am
Stevens suspended now for the Georgia game.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:39am
Originally posted by The Whisperer The Whisperer wrote:

Originally posted by nice triangles nice triangles wrote:

Agree here with the above post well said.

Cant get my head around people giving glenn whelan credit for last nights performance. He was constantly out of position and the swiss midfield were able to just cut open the space in the middle due to his lack of legs at will. They copped on to his lack of mobility in second half and went straight at him every time they could really. James Mac can and should come in to replace glenn for our next set of competitive games. Heres hoping he gets minutes at palace over next few weeks. 

I think Whelan did well positionally, apart from after a turnover where he was running backwards and not catching anything. I also noticed that the Swiss were happy to run directly through the middle. Glen was never light on his feet, but he’s like an oil tanker these days.

He’s a player of massive character and, as he’s aged, his reading of the game has improved greatly. I like him a lot more as a player than I did five years ago. If we could put Glen’s brain in James McClean or Cyrus Christie we’d have a hell of a player. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

If we could put Glen’s brain in James McClean or Cyrus Christie we’d have a hell of a player. 

This exactly. He couldn't get around much last night, but he was rarely caught out of position. Great to see him get some well deserved appreciation at the end.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

there move to score was classy. sliced us open good and proper. great finish aswel. in the 1st half they were intent on scoring from way outside the box thankfully but they quit that in the 2nd. they will feel they left 2 points behind last night. thankfully they did.

When is the last time we scored a goal like that?  Or have we ever scored a goal like that?

Keane in Paris '09?

Row Z View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Row Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:59am
Don't think we give enough credit to Switz, thought beforehand that they were decent and last night proved it.
However, we looked well drilled, good shape without the ball and but for the 20 mins after half time we looked comfortable.
It did take the goal to awaken some players, but all in, a decent performance last night.
"Just put it up there..."
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:05pm
I thought we gave it everything and the way we came back again to salvage the draw against a much better footballing side is encouraging for the character in the group. Whatever you think about the football being played or the level of player we have, nobody can deny that the players just stopped playing for MON and that's not the case now. 

But we do have a severe problem in midfield. We looked completely lost at times. Whelan gives it everything but his legs aren't able for it any more, and Hourihane and Hendrick in my opinion weren't doing enough to track runs. The Swiss seemed to waltz up the pitch no bother, and nobody seemed to know who should press the player with the ball, who should stay, what position they should be in. In that respect I was a bit disappointed in Whelan because I thought he should be screaming at Hendrick and Hourihane a lot more about their positioning. But I might be being harsh on him, I see him as the leader in there because he has the brain but not the legs, but maybe lads aren't listening or else they're playing exactly as instructed but it's not working, who knows. I think we were very lucky the Swiss didn't have someone the calibre of Eriksen last night, with the space and ease they had in midfield, he'd have punished us. 

It's good to try new formations and to be adaptable but it looked to me like players were a bit headless at times. Only for some great defending from Duffy we'd have been in trouble.

Having said all that I think you can tell we're trying to play a bit when we have the ball, we're just a limited group. We have some nice little bursts and one-touch passing moves that'll come to an end because of a poor touch or whatever else. That's encouraging to see. 

We're in a decent position in the group, about as well as could be expected when you looked at the fixtures. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:16pm
I think the goals that were scored reflect the team that scored it.

Swiss - passing move through the middle of the ireland midfield and defence, a couple of one twos, with one touch football and a pin point side foot into the corner of the net 

Ireland - under pressure, kicks ball aiming roughly for the opposition area, ball hits first man and loops high into the air, lands on the back of mcgoldks head and goes in 
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Swiss - passing move through the middle of the ireland midfield and defence, a couple of one twos, with one touch football and a pin point side foot into the corner of the net 

Ireland - under pressure, kicks ball aiming roughly for the opposition area, ball hits first man and loops high into the air, lands on the back of mcgoldks head and goes in 

It was a great header
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

So what?

For all their play the Swiss got one point and we got one.

With the players we utilise, it’s always likely to resemble Homer’s boxing career in The Simpson’s. You have to play with a protective mindset.
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:30pm
Every silver lining has a cloud for some!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 56>
  Share Topic