You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Éire v Switzerland 05.09.19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 56>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:14am
Blessed to get a point tonight. But fair play can’t fault the effort.
Can’t see any difference at all between mick and o’neill. Still the same shortcomings. Not actually sure what the game plan was, but it was very disjointed. Swiss were not near their best but still created 3 or 4 decent chances. Need huge improvement in performance levels for the remaining matches.
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:37am
I'm surprised people were expecting any different about Mick's approach tbh.

I remember when he was first appointed I said it's like they replaced a dinosaur with a fossil and it's definitely been the case. 
The only difference there's been is that its clear the players want to play for the Manager unlike last campaign.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:47am
Would've taken the draw before kick off so happy enough.
McLean might t be the most talented footballer about but good lord the drive and commitment he showed to win that ball back to set up our goal is something a lot of players should aspire to. 🇮🇪
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:49am
What did people expect Mick to do? We have a below average squad with no technical players whatsoever! Picking a flavour of the month isn’t going to change it! We hardly have five players at the level required, never mind start making changes. The problem is that we aren’t good enough to beat anybody we need to beat. Draws won’t get this there, but they will mean we can talk about the ‘ifs, buts and maybes’ when we don’t. You can’t blame him for that. We don’t have match winners at this level and throwing possible match winners from the LOI is unlikely to change that. We have lads who work hard, refuse to be beaten and defend with pride, which is all a fan can ask for, but this idea that if Kenny (or anybody else) was in charge tonight that it would all have been different is fantasy. 
It might be different when he does come in, but that’s because we do have potential match winners coming through, not because Kenny’s a miracle worker.

That’s not claiming Mick is doing great either,  I just don’t see how could do any better, or worse. The team we have is the third best in the group, getting us above that would be a big overachievement as we would have to win a game without creativity, not because of the tactics or anything else, but because of the players.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:52am
Originally posted by CarlowMan1888 CarlowMan1888 wrote:

What's the point in a singing section that doesn't sing?

They sang our JCGE well I thought , prefer Personal Jesus but might be a stretch to far .

rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:59am
yeah, just back at my hotel and surprised at some of the analysis here. I thought we were awful. Switzerland were worse than expected too but should still have won by two goals or so. Really see no difference at all between McCarthys and (the very maligned) O Neills Ireland.

Agree with most comments on players here but just to say, slightly in Hourihanes defence, he showed for the ball in space around the centre circle a few times in the first half only for the player in possession to see him, ignore him, and play a hail Mary down the line instead. We have to trust our players to get the ball even when they don't have 20 yards+ of space.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:07am
Quite right we were awful
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:43am
I thought Hourihane was the only one eager to use the ball.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Squad as expected - we're going to get humiliated.

Brace yourself for limited possession and terrible set pieces
Straight off the bat LOL  Humiliation is something you have been used to over the years, and this is the first post I have read here so far LOL I am looking forward to reading all the other experts now LOL

Edited by DUBLIN DOC - 06 Sep 2019 at 1:58am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 2:18am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Good result, decent display. Maybe that'll shut up the doom and gloomers for a day or two.
What , do you mean all the barstool ****s posting on here while the game was on , the experts who slaughtered Glen Whelan and all the other sh*te players we have while spouting out all types of bull shoite about putting the latest fckin young fella who makes a debut in ingurlannd with a hint of a connection to us, I really hope some mod after he sobers up bans some of these Fcking wum accounts at this fckin stage
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 2:23am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Good result, decent display. Maybe that'll shut up the doom and gloomers for a day or two.
What , do you mean all the barstool ****s posting on here while the game was on , the experts who slaughtered Glen Whelan and all the other sh*te players we have while spouting out all types of bull shoite about putting the latest fckin young fella who makes a debut in ingurlannd with a hint of a connection to us, I really hope some mod after he sobers up bans some of these Fcking wum accounts at this fckin stage
Quit coffee , mate!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 2:30am
Originally posted by CarlowMan1888 CarlowMan1888 wrote:

What's the point in a singing section that doesn't sing?
So w**kers like you can spout shoite I’d imagine
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 2:36am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Huge goal to keep us breathing in the group. We are clinging on and on in this group and fair play to the players for that.

Amazing how a goal will colour perceptions of another appalling performance though. If we don't get that late equaliser and rightly lose the game on the balance of play, heads would be getting called for left right and centre on here. That was right up there with the worst of MON tactics, 5-5-0 in a home game. F*cking hell, we are going absolutely nowhere.
And know king w**ker looking for reactions here’s wan for ye go fck yourself you fckin clown and keep your fckin shoite for the c**ting English football no one wants to hear your sh*t stirring bollocks on this thread 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 3:57am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Huge goal to keep us breathing in the group. We are clinging on and on in this group and fair play to the players for that.

Amazing how a goal will colour perceptions of another appalling performance though. If we don't get that late equaliser and rightly lose the game on the balance of play, heads would be getting called for left right and centre on here. That was right up there with the worst of MON tactics, 5-5-0 in a home game. F*cking hell, we are going absolutely nowhere.
And know king w**ker looking for reactions here’s wan for ye go fck yourself you fckin clown and keep your fckin shoite for the c**ting English football no one wants to hear your sh*t stirring bollocks on this thread 

LOL LOL LOL LOL

I tried to Google translate that, but nothing coming back.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 5:02am
McCleans role for us should be restricted to that of impact sub and a dressing room character like Robbie Keane/John O'Shea at Euro 2016. It comes as no surprise that Enda Stevens has played poorly for Ireland, no doubts Coleman wouldnt play much better with McClean in front of him. McClean is unable to compete as a winger so has to compensate by getting in the way of things, blocking down balls, shouting and getting yellow cards. Its like having another full back playing on the left hand side and positionally he's all over the place isolating Stevens making him commit unforced errors.

Hard to see Mick dropping him as he is a dressing room manager and McClean clearly has a big influence as seen in the pregame huddle, but at this level, and if we're going to compete we need players who can play better in the final third. This Swiss side were poor in general and Denmark look to have the beating of them for their return leg.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 5:04am
Doc on a drunken forum rampage LOL

Get off yer phone and get to Coppers ye mad man LOL
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:44am
Where to start. Great point in the end. We'd be better off starting matches at 1-0 down because we only start to show some ambition when we go behind, usually resulting in an equaliser. 

McGoldrick has a thankless task up there on his own. Balls consistently hoofed into the channel for him to chase. Mick may as well have picked Long. Delighted he got a goal, it was a good header.

Our midfield is painfully slow. No pace in it whatsoever. Also, and has been a consistent theme for the last number of years, they consistently refuse to give an option to our full backs. Not to alleviate any of the blame on Stevens' use of the ball, which was brutal and has been for most of his minutes in an Ireland shirt, but he was rarely given an option by the 3 in the middle. I think Coleman even ended up on the left side of the pitch 3 times after dribbling across from RB to find an option.

Glenn Whelan hasn't hit a ball that cleanly since Croker in '09. Great strike.

For a team that sets up defensively, our shape was terrible last night. On numerous occasions, their midfield picked the ball up around the half way line. Our midfield makes a half-hearted attempt to close them down, while our defence were positioned near our 18 yard box for no reason.

Even for their goal, we had about 8 or 9 players standing between Schar and the goal, and yet he still managed to walk through and score. Huge gaps between the players which was worrying.

Darren Randolph doesn't get the credit he deserves. Makes important saves in nearly every game he plays.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 7:50am
The Swiss will be very disappointing they didn’t win that game. They dominated for most of the game and were wasteful in the final 3rd. I fully expect them to beat us away.

We had some good moment but they were only moments. We didn’t do enough to win that game. I fear the next 3 games will be the same. We will need to take our chances and control more of the game.

Three big games coming up. Can only see us winning one of them but 5pts may be enough.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 56>
  Share Topic